1926 Pierce Arrow - $6,500 Reduced to $5,000

Probably some good parts....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/alameda-1926-pierce-arrow/7692970685.html

1926 Pierce Arrow barn find, needs total restoration, engine turns over good compression. $6500. Have 1968 title.

Alameda California   cell: 510-910-244five     

image.png.1a2b5c6082a5ceb0a34fc71cb518c87d.png     image.png.7e32c1d2866d6ad86a16f7a17f6ea0b8.png      image.png.65c020c4ef22420dc2c26a1375dba0c7.png    image.png.360ea05eff9a2d6cc5a3b82636ed7770.png                                                                                                                    

image.png

Edited by Leif in Calif
Price change (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is owned by an acquaintance in Alameda, 12 or so miles from me, but I've never examined it other than from photos.  I did sell him a correct, good steering wheel (not installed) and gave him four take-off WSW tires, but only the LF may have been installed.

Ancient sign-painting script says something like "Dunlop Caterers," so I speculate that it was a delivery vehicle for such an establishment.  To that end, they had to install sidemounted spare(s) to replace the rear-mounted spare(s) and the sidemount hardware is from a late 1927/1928 80/81.  Over the years I have seen one other S80 sedan similarly converted to be a delivery vehicle.  By no means do I think the rear door is factory.

• Like 4

Afterthought:  @alsancle only Series 80 (1925-27) and 81 (1928) used vacuum tanks, which are mounted on the left side of the firewall.  Other Pierces 1915 (maybe earlier) through 1928 used pressurized tanks.

Additionally, this was a "coach series" (less expensive than DeLuxe series by $650 the better to compete with Packard Single 6) 7-passenger sedan (no division glass).

Edited by Grimy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am considering purchasing it. Am I nuts?  I love the finished look but it is a LOONG way and I am really trying to decide if I am pie in the sky or if I can actually get it to preservation level... Any other info about the car?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toyon said:

Am I nuts?

Maybe not any more than a lot of us here? I have restored a few lesser cars that were worse than that! If one has the skills, room, tools, and time and money enough? It could be done in a home-shop setting.

Years ago, I had a 1925 series 80 four door sedan. I loved that car. It was in so much better condition than that when I bought it, but it still took a fair amount of work to sort it out and make it really tour ready. For several years I enjoyed driving it on nickel era club tours, other events, even did display only at a couple low end concourse events. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when we bought our first real home. I would give almost anything to have another one.

That said, I cannot in good conscience encourage someone to attempt such a restoration unless they have sufficient experience with major restorations, and all that they entail.

I WANT someone to restore this car! I would love to know it was being done and done reasonably well. But this is the sort of project that breaks probably 95 percent (or more!) of people that attempt one. 

At 70 plus now, I cannot take on another major project car. I still have four project cars I need to try to finish, two of which are nearly as major as is this one, and both are at least as worthy of being done.

For me? I enjoy the challenge, the special satisfaction, every part I restore that nobody else was willing to attempt to do! I have brought several cars that were considered "unrestorable" back to the point of looking good and being ready to tour on a moments notice! (I have never been sure they were ever actually finished?) Most of those cars I drove and enjoyed for several years. I enjoy both the restoration process and the driving the cars once they are ready.

But that is me.

A lot of very smart people on this forum will say it cannot be done, it SHOULD NOT be done. I won't say that. I will again say that most people cannot do it! But only you can answer whether or not you might be able to.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Another thing to consider is it says 1968 title. I would be concerned it hasn't been skipped. That is almost as bad as not having a title.

I don't think that old title is a huge problem. I bought a Simca a couple of years ago that was last on the road in 1979, and the title had a wrong serial number and said it was a '54 when it was obviously a '51. The only thing on the car that matched the paperwork was the license plate. I also  had a "Statement of Facts" DMV form that the seller provided with what he knew about the car (which wasn't a lot, his father bought it in '78). 

I printed information from the internet that showed that my serial number corresponded to 1951, and after the inspecting CHP officer verified my information, it all got squared away.    

As far as SHOULD you do it...personally, some of my most rewarding times in the garage are when I hit a brick wall, and have to find a way around it.

If you think the PROCESS will be fun, and are not worried sick about finished product,  GO FOR IT! 

On 2/13/2024 at 10:46 AM, Toyon said:

I am considering purchasing it. Am I nuts?  I love the finished look but it is a LOONG way and I am really trying to decide if I am pie in the sky or if I can actually get it to preservation level... Any other info about the car?

I will throw my 2 cents in, which will start everyone on a controversial rampage.  I would say that this 80 series car could be brought back to life, but unless this specific car has some sentimental reason do so, better to buy a car in driver condition.  On this forum we have a resident Pierce Arrow expert that follows pierces and might know of one that you can get in , drive and enjoy for a price not much more than just the cost of rebuilding the engine on the above car.  The reason I give this advise is I have had some long term restorations and the level of frustration is so great that I literally stopped working on them for 2 decades.  Some will tell you that this car deserves to be restored etc. and I say yes it can💸💸💸 and then throw in some more💰💰💰💰💰

• Like 3

On 2/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, Toyon said:

Go visit the car  look for yourself

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1926 Pierce Arrow - $6,500 Reduced to $5,000
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Are you guys sure that isn't a postwar Packard steering wheel?

Not Packard, my vote is 40-41 Lincoln Continental.