Recommended 15 inch trailer tires today

I know this has been discussed before and I have read the latest  thread but trailer tire quality appears to be in constant flux so what would you buy today?  I have a 28 ft gooseneck that I use for long hauling with heavy cars.  This trailer is a 20 ft used for local trips.  Thanks in advance.  Bob Smits

Bob

Goodyear ST Endurance 10 ply

from Discount Tire/America’s Tire

with free replacement road hazard

for life of tread.

No pro rating - free replacement 

if road hazard renders tire non

repairable.

Free rotation & balance.

That is what I run on my

aluminum custom enclosed

car hauler.

Loaded late this afternoon

in Indiana.

Headed to Florida.

IMG_8835.jpeg.79db56831ec7efd501fecb96b41aa499.jpeg

IMG_8833.jpeg.7be62684795e16cc10d80774748a4230.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, James Peck said:

What would be the repercussions of having the same tires on a trailer as tow vehicle?

They’re an entirely different design of tire. It would be dangerous to use either for the wrong purpose. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Goodyear Endurance tire, made in USA

check air pressure every trip. I also use tire pressure monitoring: EZTire is my choice. Great peace of mind when towing. 
Four towing hazards: rotten or underinflated tires; dry wheel bearings; worn or non-working brakes/lights; and poor weight distr. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wascator said:

Four towing hazards: rotten or underinflated tires; dry wheel bearings; worn or non-working brakes/lights; and poor weight distr. 

#5: Loose lug nuts.  Check torque before every trip (especially if wheels have been recently removed)!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2024 at 7:35 PM, Turbinator said:

Driver error is enough without adding equipment failure.

We were driving to northern Michigan this weekend and we saw a Jeep Cherokee pulling one of those new style Airstream smaller trailers on the expressway.  The trailer was a single axle trailer.  He passed us going at least 85 MPH and was weaving in and out of traffic like he was in the Jeep only.  We followed him for a short distance and once thought he was going to lose it. I could not/would not go as fast as he was driving and we had just the 1/2 ton truck. 

Common sense is so uncommon in today's world.  And as Forest Gump says, You can not fix stupid.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen people towing tandem trailers similar to that shown above.  I assumed that it was illegal, but apparently not; at least not everywhere -- though it should be...

1 hour ago, Roger Frazee said:

I re-torque my trailer lug nuts at every fuel stop.

I check mine cold at the start of the day.  Torquing them hot may lead to overtorquing, as the bolt expands with heat.  The wheels on my new trailer took multiple cycles before torque stabilized and they didn't require any further tightening.  Still, I check them daily (cold) when on the road.  Also important to check periodically whenever you remove and reinstall a wheel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EmTee said:

I've seen people towing tandem trailers similar to that shown above.  I assumed that it was illegal, but apparently not; at least not everywhere -- though it should be...

This was in Montana.

I also see it in Wyoming

and Utah and Nevada 

and Idaho and Oregon

along with The Dakotas.

Limited to rural areas.

Jim

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

I re-torque my trailer lug nuts at every fuel stop.  Invariably, one or two (out of 24) nuts need to be re-tightened.  What causes trailer lug nuts to work loose more than automobile lug nuts?

It sounds like at some point

the lug nuts were over torqued.

Look at your trailer rims.

If your lug nuts and/or

your trailer rims and or

the threaded studs 

are worn there will be 

signs.

Jim

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 8:59 AM, Roger Frazee said:

I re-torque my trailer lug nuts at every fuel stop.  Invariably, one or two (out of 24) nuts need to be re-tightened.  What causes trailer lug nuts to work loose more than automobile lug nuts?

NEVER use an oil on threads as they allow you to over torque that makes all of the components suspect going forward 

Not to say this is your problem , but something is wrong for your nuts to loosen during a trip . 

I never retorqe during a trip . if I had the tires off for an inspection or service of wheel bearings . I torque cold , drive 50 miles & re torque and thats it. I use a tire billy and hit my tires any time I stop and I also check my straps . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1967 Red Deville said:

NEVER use an oil on threads as they allow you to over torque that makes all of the components suspect going forward 

Not to say this is your problem , but something is wrong for your nuts to loosen during a trip . 

I never retorque during a trip . if I had the tires off for an inspection or service of wheel bearings . I torque cold , drive 50 miles & re torque and thats it. I use a tire billy and hit my tires any time I stop and I also check my straps . 

I ALMOST completely agree with your post-

I pull an all-aluminum extra tall trailer, 30 ft length on a pair of 6K, 8 lug axles, and generally our travel to tours and shows involves multi-day trips each way.

I've made it a habit, not only to check tire pressures "COLD" each morning,

but also the check lug nut torque - and then at every stop I check the hub temperature - not generally with my laser, but al least with my palm.

Most of us have seen the result of another's lack of safety check/prep.

An ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

...and then at every stop I check the hub temperature - not generally with my laser, but al least with my palm.

Yes!  I do likewise.  I also touch the tires on the tow vehicle at rest stops.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

I am on the road pulling a trailer

transporting vehicles over 200

days a year - since 2006.

I post comments from first hand

observation and experience.

Jim

IMG_1819.jpeg.93330b6fbe06a97c019986d4a342daa8.jpeg

I can appreciate your insight and experience, but like a lot of trades just because someone has a particular method they use, does not make it the 'ONLY' way to do things. While I do not transport cars for a living, I work construction and I tow a small trailer (16' box) at least once a week. Previously I had a fair amount of yellow iron and I have logged many a mile dragging an eager beaver down the road both loaded to the max and empty. I would surmise with a lot of the other posters that there has been quite a few trailer miles as well. There is no excuse for safety and preventive maintenance. But there are many ways for one to be safe. As far as grease or oil on a stud prior to installing lug nuts, I have never heard such a thing. Not saying its wrong, and I have hit a rusty stud with WD on occasion, just wouldnt think of doing it that way.

Have you ever had a trailer 

wheel pass you going down

the road - notice something 

familiar about it - then realize 

it was your tire and rim from

your trailer ?

I have - several times.

I post my opinion & if you

have watched any of my

videos or carefully read 

my posts - I  make it quite

clear that it is my opinion.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago there was a blip on the news traffic report about a tractor trailer loosing an axle and creating a backup on the beltway. Fortunately no one was hurt. A couple of weeks later at a family event my BIL asked if I had heard about the backup. It was his truck! He said about the time it passed him on the road he realized it was from his truck.

On 9/8/2024 at 2:36 PM, Trulyvintage said:

I always use grease or oil

on my trailer studs after 

cleaning them - it helps 

the lug nuts from cross threading.

15 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Have you ever had a trailer 

wheel pass you going down

the road - notice something 

familiar about it - then realize 

it was your tire and rim from

your trailer ?