Chrome replating - Please reply with referrals - Las Vegas.

Deadpurpledog

• 3 weeks later...

For chrome, Librandis in PA. Highly recommended. Results were excellent and delivered a few days ahead of what thy promised. Like all of the others, there is always a line to get in. Chrome is expensive these days. Call to find out ETA, roughly what it might cost. You won't get an exact estimate until they can inspect the parts. I shipped parts to them from WA. There was no problem with that. I think they probably do a lot through the mail. You always worry the shipper could lose your parts, but it's turned out fine for me so far.

https://www.carchrome.com/

• Like 1

I've had very good service with Paul's Chrome Plating in Mars Pa. They have always had a very good warranty policy and are easy to work with. My experience is that they've always came within the estimated price. Like Bloo said, expect a wait. Not sure if they do plastic but wouldn't hurt to call and ask, and they do take mail in items. They will send you a photo of all the parts with the estimate. Ph. (724)538-3367,  (800245-8679)  or fax (724)538-3403. Email www.paulschrome.com

I'll second Librandi. I've also had excellent results from Qual-Krom in Erie, PA, especially for pot metal. For bumpers, TriCity Plating in TN has been the most reasonable on price and also does excellent work.

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Chrome replating - Please reply with referrals - Las Vegas.

Cost is a subjective issue. Really depends on the condition of the part and every shop will vary with their base labor rates. Also, if any of your chrome parts fit into another part, say a small grille fits into a steel cover, make sure that the mating part is included, if possible,  for final fitment of the  finished piece. Plating adds thickness and some shops may not redo a finished part that doesn't fit. I have to say, that I had 2 issues with very intricate parts that Paul's did for me that did not fit or come out right. They did, without issue, redo both parts at no charge and did a beautiful job. With plating companies, never shop by price alone!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpage said:

Cost is a subjective issue…

With plating companies, never shop by price alone!

I agree. It’s like anything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Plating is similar to painting or any other refinish/restoration, vast majority of (labor) cost and quality is in the prep.
The applying the plating (or paint) itself is the easiest part and any plating (or paint & body) shop can get that done, if that’s all one wants.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Deadpurpledog, What do you need replated? I have had good experiences with Librandi's and Advance Plating in Nashville. These were NON potmetal pieces. 

Potmetal restoration is another story. The quality depends 100% on the craftsmans pride in his work. I have found potmetal restoration to be a gamble. At one of the recommended places in a previous post I got back some very good work and some terrible work. I can't believe their quality control was so poor that they actually sent the second batch back to me. It looked like melting ice cream. As much as I would like to, I won't say who because it was 10-15 years ago. If I ever restore another car with pot metal chrome pieces, I would rather use the best originals I could find rather than risk bad results with replating. 

I seem to remember an ad in Hemmings 10 or so years ago for a guy in Michigan? who would drill out the pits and fill them with silver solder individually before the plating process. This seems tedious and time consuming but preserves the detail. The alternative is to plate with copper and attempt to buff out the pits. That is how the detail is lost. 

Sherm's plating in Sacramento did a lot of pot metal for me about ten years ago. They drilled the pits and welded broken pieces. Beautiful work but of course very expensive. Can't really cheap out on a cabriolet windshield or the other very visible parts I took them.

Not sure it is the same ownership so check for recent comments/reviews.

Dave