Painting On New Chrome

jpage

I just got the hubcaps on my '36 Dodge replated and need to paint the embossed DODGE letters and outer ring on them. From member's experience, what is the best way to prep the chrome, if needed, and what's the best paint to use. Experience is the best teacher and I'm thankful for any and all ideas!

Use nail polish, lots of color choices....it will last for years. Just use it over the clean chrome, no other treatment necessary. 

• Like 9

I’ve used nail polish, but I’ve found it is easier to just spray paint the general area, and then follow up by carefully using brass wool to remove paint from the non-embossed areas. I’ve never had any adhesion problems.

• Like 1

Depending upon how large the area of the letters are and width of the ring you want to paint in the center of, that needs to be scuffed slightly for the best adhesion. I use One Shot Sign lettering enamel and a striping brush or narrow camels hair brush.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Use nail polish, lots of color choices....it will last for years. Just use it over the clean chrome, no other treatment necessary. 

edinmass is correct use nail varnish very durable finish 

I did the hub caps on my 1931 lasalle six years ago still look good 

I actually gave them a coat of clear nail varnish on top of the color

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. I never considered nail polish; I guess it does come in black these days. The embossing is rather narrow, about 3/32 in wide, which would make it rather difficult to rough up without damaging the face. Actually, the adhesion issue is my major concern, but maybe it's not that big an issue on something like this. There used to be a product called "Rub-N-Buff" , not sure it's still available, but a guy with a '58 Impala used it on the dash marks on his side trim and claimed it worked well. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, cricket-ny said:

Jim,

This is what my chromer suggestied I use prior to painting over my radiator shell apron that originally was painted. Hope this helps.

Chris

IMG_5462.JPG

This product will make paint stick to a breeze blowing by. I have used it many times on plastics and a couple times on chrome… but I was spray painting a large chrome area with an edge taped off. No idea how chrome treated with adhesion promoter would clean up if it ended up on a not to be painted area. 

• Like 1

Jim,I agree with rusty as to using a small brush with a steady hand and wiping off the edges.I basically did that on the caps Dave Hull restored and had plated for me.just make sure the small grooves are cleaned B4

• Like 1

I’ve painted chromed hub cap centers using primer & paint after masking the surrounding area. It works well. The problem I’ve had is if the Chromer didn’t use enough copper to fill deep pits from rust. I’ve tried to fill those with paint but it didn’t work very well. I tried filling with epoxy but the hub cap being domed, the epoxy kept pooling on the outer edges. Maybe I’ll try JB Weld and sand after. I suppose numerous thin coats of nail polish might work with sanding to eventually fill in the pits. Next time I’ll use silver solder to fill the pits!

It very time consuming!

• Like 1

I test tried some nail polish on some chrome and was surprised at how strong the adhesion seemed with no prep. I did notice that the polish flashes off very quickly and doesn't leave a lot of flow time. I would imagine that thinning would increase the flash time, but even with that issue, it seems a very viable option! Hooda thunk it!

• Like 3