Ethanol Fuel Question

hddennis

Yeah I agree....

The problem with the additives is that the tank eventual becomes ALL additive as the cars sit and you keep adding it.

Also run it through on low HP.

If you go to hardware store they sell one gallon and 5 gallon NON ETHANOL 94 OCTANE and it willlast forever, never smell and no residue. Its now 24 dollars a gallon but pure GOLD for over winter storage.

Sunoco and Shell now mail orders 5 gallon drums to your house , again its going to be hundreds of dollars but IMHO Its worth it.

Sitting ethanol is NOT good in the old cars unless run out as a driver. 

GTJOEY1314

4 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Run the engine every two weeks. Keeps fresh gas in the carb.  I have done this engine running schedule for 13 years with great results. 

Thanks this will be my new routine till I can get this tank emptied.

Howard Dennis

I realize that the alcohol will destroy the carb but what about the other parts of the fuel system? I do not see the point of running the "old" gas out of the carb with the same gas in the gas tank. Somehow draining the carb should help. On generators they even put in a needle valve to drain the carb. If you need good gas, find someone that has an airplane and give them an empty five gallon can.

I don't know about all the states, but here in the land of 10,000 lakes and because two stroke outboards don't like ethanol, there are at least 10,000 gas stations that sell ethanol free premium for less than a dollar more than the treated premium. You don't see it as often at the freeway stations, but if you can plan your gas stops to lake/resort exits, ethanol free is easy to find and a lot less than $24 a gallon.

6 hours ago, jp1gt said:

I realize that the alcohol will destroy the carb but what about the other parts of the fuel system? I do not see the point of running the "old" gas out of the carb with the same gas in the gas tank. Somehow draining the carb should help. On generators they even put in a needle valve to drain the carb. If you need good gas, find someone that has an airplane and give them an empty five gallon can.

I have had my 54 Buick for 13 years.  I have had no issues with ethanol gas. Even vapor lock. Guess I'm blessed.  Just like my bowels, keep it moving. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Digger914 said:

I don't know about all the states, but here in the land of 10,000 lakes and because two stroke outboards don't like ethanol, there are at least 10,000 gas stations that sell ethanol free premium for less than a dollar more than the treated premium. You don't see it as often at the freeway stations, but if you can plan your gas stops to lake/resort exits, ethanol free is easy to find and a lot less than $24 a gallon.

Water and ethanol gas do not mix.  Ethanol attracts water.  Here on the Chesapeake Bay the piers sell non-ethanol gas. Same on the Eastern shore of MD.  Farm equipment. 

On 10/2/2023 at 11:32 AM, hddennis said:

Having had ethanol damage in the past I try to use non-ethanol fuel whenever I can but wonder if there is an additive I can add to a tank full when I'm in a situation where I'm forced to use ethanol fuel?

Thanks for any help,

Howard Dennis

More curious than concerned.

That all said, I am curious about the ethanol damage you have had in the past, and what was done to remedy it and prevent future damage of this sort.

Jack

I belong to several car clubs and hear lots of conversation between club members.    Usually they are here say or just someone's opinion. 

Two things I have heard with no data............ 

"Premium fuel has less ethanol than regular"

"Marvil mystery oil works just like Sta-bil and cost much less"

I was in a tech session for '20's & '30's cars at a national meet and there was several testimonials for Marvil oil

Ethanol will attack rubber components in the fuel system that are not designed to accommodate it.  Most commonly, the resulting damage is mechanical fuel pump failure caused by disintegration of the diaphragm.  New pumps and rebuild kits should include Ethanol-tolerant components.

• Thanks 1

Has anybody tried adding dry-gas additive to old ethanol in a glass bottle to experiment if you can get rid of the water that has accumulated from a car sitting?  Sometimes your car goes down for longer than you expected while having a full tank of ethanol and you don’t get to run it out.  I know years ago I had some old gas with water in it that had separated, so I just added some drygas and you could watch the water go away in seconds while sitting in the glass bottle.

Dry Gas is just another alcohol, typically Methanol or Isopropyl. Worth a test just to see effect of a different alcohol.

The water does not go away, but binds with the petroleum so it will go through the running engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2023 at 11:51 AM, Jack Bennett said:

More curious than concerned.

That all said, I am curious about the ethanol damage you have had in the past, and what was done to remedy it and prevent future damage of this sort.

Jack

Few years ago I put away both my  1917 Maxwell and my lawn tractor with ethanol fuel for the winter and both would not run come spring. The Maxwell's carb never was right again and the lawn tractor I couldn't repair without getting help from local small engine shop who stated most of his work was rebuilding carbs ethanol had gummed up. I later found out I could buy a new carb for the tractor on eBay cheaper than I could have the old one rebuilt! Sure wish I could do the same with the Maxwell.

Howard Dennis