Where are the 1965 Riv's ?

TKRIV

Every time I look at the classifieds in the ROA RIVIEW there are many more 1963 & 1964 Rivs for sale

than 1965. In the Sept/Oct issue there are only two 1965 Rivs for sale.

Four 1964's for sale

Eight 1963's for sale.

There have been issues where only one 1965 is for sale.

Any plausible suggestions on why this is so?

Sir, in some circles folks speculate the 65 Riviera are in demand. I believe the 65’s are selling for a lot of money. Owners of the 65’s may be using other channels to advertise or holding on in hopes of higher prices.

I own a 63 Riviera and I am delighted with the car. For my money I would spend the kind of money 65’s are bringing for another kind of collectible car. It’s not a better or worse decision how a person spends their money on preference. There is no discussion about personal taste.

Turbinator

I entered "1965 Buick Riviera for sale" in Google Chrome

I didn't check for duplicates across the various sites. ROA RIVIEW is but one source.

FYI - I found my Riviera gran Sport on Craig's List four years ago and it was only 50 miles away.

Another wide-ranging search option is to use SearchTempest.com - it searches all locals in Craig's List, Facebook Marketplace and eBay 

Edited by Craig Balzer (see edit history)

My opinion is that the 65 Rivieras have been  so sought after by people wanting to build Led Sleds and

Lowriders and very expensive customs that there just aren't hardly any nice unmodified ones left, that plus there were a lot more 63-64 models built to begin  with. In addition to that, a lot of people bought the 63's and 64's to collect because they were such a landmark car, but by 65 they were old hat, so they were driven and discarded, or traded for the swoopy new 66 Rivieras. I can tell you that it takes a long time to find a mint original low mileage 65........took me five years of looking to find mine, and that was 11 years ago. There is no doubt that they are thin on the ground compared to the 63's and 64's. Another reason is if you own a 65 Riviera that is nice, why in hell would you ever sell it before you go out horizontal? It is the ultimate 60's car

in my opinion and a keeper not to be flipped. Another factor has to be that back in the day, if you had a front end fender bender in your 65 Riviera, it was a nightmare to fix it what with those delicate hideaway headlamp

assemblies......a lot of them probably went to the junkyard in the 70's and 80's because of that.

• Like 2

I’ve found some folks just know how to find things. Be it reliable sources for information, parts, cars, things that pertain to cars and the list goes on. Personal experience has lead me to believe in building a cadre of reliable sources that have like interests. It’s a give relationship that pays dividends. The more you give the more you get. Folks do not always agree; however, people can disagree without being disagreeable.

There are gents that are a wealth of knowledge on what to find and what to do to fix your car.

Later Gator 🐊 

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

Just now, Turbinator said:

I’ve found some folks just know how to find things. Be it reliable sources for information, parts, cars, things that pertain to cars and the list goes on. Personal experience has lead me to believe in building a cadre of reliable sources that have like interests. It’s a give relationship that pays dividends. The more you give the more you get. Folks do not always agree; however, people can disagree without being disagreeable.

There are gents that are a wealth of knowledge on what to find and what to do to fix your car.

Later Gator 🐊 

Yes, it's like how does a squirrel find acorns buried in the snow?    Because it's his BUSINESS to find them.

8 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Yes, it's like how does a squirrel find acorns buried in the snow?    Because it's his BUSINESS to find them.

Some of us view finding hard to find items as a hobby. Winston, but on the note “ business” sure is in the business of your hobby or the business of business finding what You want. I think we agree some of us are better than others at digging up what we want or need. My job required mining information about the strangest topics, but it was business and was to be done correctly. I admire the quality level of your collector vehicles. You have tops of the top of what I’ve seen.

I enjoy cooking up stuff to be made and sell to those that want it. Those that don’t want it because Buick didn’t make it does not hurt my feelings. There are a great group of people in the ROA. We all cannot agree, but we manage to get along. BTW, I beat the haircell grain to death with legit info about the grain for the dashes. First the haircell designation of the grain will get no argument from me. Haircell it is. Haircell identifies the hair side of the animal. The hair follicles have a pattern for each animal. Suede grain from a pig will be different than cowhide grain. Let’s add in the vinyl is embossed from a metal plate from a human. I contend the haircell grains do change from 63,64, and 65. I saw Tom Telesco’s original dash pad from his 64 and took in a real trade from s 65. Both grains were different, but not so different they both could not be haircell grain.

This is my opinion based on research on an item that appears no one cares about. As always I’m happy to be persuaded to see things in another light. Hope you are well AND my favorite dog of all time is happy and healthy.

Later Gator 🐊 

The first generation Rivieras that made it past 1970 were in good condition and went into the hands of "keepers". I have owned mine for 45 years now. They are good, solid, reliable, undemanding cars. Very easy to keep and always ready to go. From the 1980s to the turn of the century they were not commonly listed for sale in the hobby market.

The owners knew and appreciated them but the old cranks of the hobby brain collective don't usually get a glimmer of recognition for anything less that 60 years old. And 60ish is where they are now.

Hidden headlights seem to excite a lot of people but shortly after I bought my Riviera Hondas had hidden lights, never impressed me much. Four round bulbs exposed is a real rarity on the road today.

Regular people don't know much about them. For forty years I have been telling people I own a '64 and most ask "Is that the one with a boat tail?" Must be the reality media bringing them up to speed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Not a bad idea. You could find them and buy them low and sell a tiny bit higher. Everyone comes out a winner.

please a 47-49 Caddy Series 62 in great shape. I’d buy it at the fair price.

IMG_1395.jpeg

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1724003/1949-cadillac-series-62-for-sale-in-cornelius-north-carolina-28031

https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/d/1949-cadillac-coupe-deville-62-series/7666528573.html

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Not a bad idea. You could find them and buy them low and sell a tiny bit higher. Everyone comes out a winner.

please a 47-49 Caddy Series 62 in great shape. I’d buy it at the fair price.

IMG_1395.jpeg

Put me to work 💸 💵 💲 🤑 

Send your retainer fee to Mully  Motors

"Buy low and sell a tiny bit higher".. That's our motto  🤣 

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

The first generation Rivieras that made it past 1970 were in good condition and went into the hands of "keepers". I have owned mine for 45 years now. They are good, solid, reliable, undemanding cars. Very easy to keep and always ready to go. From the 1980s to the turn of the century they were not commonly listed for sale in the hobby market.

The owners knew and appreciated them but the old cranks of the hobby brain collective don't usually get a glimmer of recognition for anything less that 60 years old. And 60ish is where they are now.

Hidden headlights seem to excite a lot of people but shortly after I bought my Riviera Hondas had hidden lights, never impressed me much. Four round bulbs exposed is a real rarity on the road today.

Regular people don't know much about them. For forty years I have been telling people I own a '64 and most ask "Is that the one with a boat tail?" Must be the reality media bringing them up to speed.

Bernie, very true. The only aspect that leaves me scratching my head: 

Endless "My mother had one of those but with the 454". Or "I had one of those. What year is it? "

• Like 1

I tell them my '64 is the one with battering ram parking lights.

The first and second generation Rivieras have been kind of an insider thing. Being a "new" car to the antique car dogma setters, a long term from new ownership car, and generally overshadowed by the popular, never produced Sliver Arrow they just found their way into a niche group.

Starting in 1972 through 1978 I bought a '68, '66, and '64 in that order. Honestly, very few people even knew what they were when I bought them.

Although the '65 became popular due to the hidden lights it lost the fine details of the bumper/taillight treatment and became slab sided with the removal of the side trim.

There are very few GM cars that I’ve ever lusted after, and the ‘65 Riviera is one of them. And as a member in good standing of the unwashed masses, I don’t think I am alone in that assessment. To my eye, the front ends of the 63 and 64 are frumpy in comparison to 65, and then by 66, they just got a heavier look, more like Toranados. Appealing in its own way, but nothing as sexy as 65.

it’s just a supply and demand situation, IMO.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Although the '65 became popular due to the hidden lights it lost the fine details of the bumper/taillight treatment and became slab sided with the removal of the side trim.

So, most of us have seen online images of 1963 & 64s with 1965 Riviera front clips. Best of G1 FrankenRivs perhaps?

4 hours ago, Lee H said:

To my eye, the front ends of the 63 and 64 are frumpy in comparison to 65

Few hide-away headlights look cool both open and closed as the 1965 Riviera. But the earlier rendition grew on me. Wouldn't change the basic look of my '63.

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The first generation Rivieras that made it past 1970 were in good condition and went into the hands of "keepers".

Good analogie Bernie.

Thanks to this Forum, I have connected with other long time G1 Riviera Owners. I acquired mine in 1979 or was it 1980? Then a parts car in 1989 to combine the two. Otherwise, my Riviera would not exist today.

For some reason 1963 & 64 "survivors" show up even in rust belts, some with <100,000 miles. Maybe because they were perceived as a limited run and became "keepers" when new?

I had to order my 1987 Buick Grand National twice because of a Dealer Scam. Such an ordeal to acquire a Unit. So, would I have allowed that car to rust away?

However, 1965 Rivieras appeared to have been "used-up" before being recognized as a milestone car. Evolution of new and improved American Muscle Cars after the 1965 Riviera GS to its peak in 1970 didn't help.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The first and second generation Rivieras have been kind of an insider thing.

I thought I was one of them. But if I had known of the existance of the 2X4 1965 Riviera GS . . . . .

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

At the Kalamazoo Riviera meet this summer, the purple 65 custom Riviera that was a class winner

had the 64 rear fender scoops added to the body...........it looked very very good.....I agree that

the rear end and quarter panels look better on the 63-64 cars, but I love the custom interior on the 65's

and the amazing front end trumps everything  else. One thing I don't like on the 65's is that the base engine was a 401 instead of a 425.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2023 at 6:57 PM, TKRIV said:

Every time I look at the classifieds in the ROA RIVIEW there are many more 1963 & 1964 Rivs for sale

than 1965. In the Sept/Oct issue there are only two 1965 Rivs for sale.

Four 1964's for sale

Eight 1963's for sale.

There have been issues where only one 1965 is for sale.

Any plausible suggestions on why this is so?

Tom, all the really good ‘65’s are down under and we ain’t selling them!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

I agree that

the rear end and quarter panels look better on the 63-64 cars

Key word, "Better". If I had a 1965 Riviera, definitely not customize the rear. Just like no desire to change the front of a 63/64. For one, want to preserve originality and 2nd, either styling grows on me.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

One thing I don't like on the 65's is that the base engine was a 401 instead of a 425.

One thing on the '63, is the Twin Turbine. Sure wish it had the ST400. It may still happen one day. If I have to tolerate poor MPG, I at least expect good throttle response. I will still consider my Riviera an original G1 with a Switch Pitch ST400.

22 hours ago, Lee H said:

it’s just a supply and demand situation, IMO

Lee, agree with you on the supply and demand angle on the Riviera 65’s. On the looks I’m all about the 64/64. The 65 is a Riviera I like too. I’d own a 65 if that was all that was available. Let me tell you why. The 65 Riviera Gran Sport is a wanna be “ everything “ 2 door luxury sport coupe that’s a hot rod, I’m the last guy to talk someone out of liking their dream car. From my point of view the Gran Sport is cool with all the options. For my money a better return of my satisfaction would be to soup up a 65 Chevy set up to be a hot rod is the way to go.

For my cruiser 63,64,65 stock nailhead and mostly standard equipment with a few upgrades is all I’d want. For now ai have a clean 63 Riviera driver and a right nice 64 Chevy Impala Super Sport 327, The Riviera runs real good. The Chevy runs but the engine needs to be rebuilt.

So, to each his/her own.

Later Gator 🐊 

As a collector that has owned many different makes and models, anecdotally, I can agree that 65s in good condition seem RELATIVELY hard to find.  

I looked for many years, in many venues, including this forum. I posted a “WTB”, and was actually contacted by a seller with a special car - exactly what I was looking for. Fate?

IMG_2451.jpeg.32ca273d534ac4c5502e2ec3236b0b51.jpeg

• Like 1

My point about all the 65's being made into customs was verified at the Kalamazoo ROA meet

this summer. There were a lot of 65's present, but virtually all of the stock correct original appearing cars were GS models.  There were two 65's in the stock 65 class, while the custom and modified classes had a whole bunch of 65's, most of them very radically altered. In contrast, there were a very large amount of 63 and 64 models,  virtually all of them were bone stock. I would venture a guess that probably 90 per cent of all Buicks that are highly modified are 65 Rivieras.