(805) 697-6495

00E0E_8U1MovzZS6p_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_d2eGvabXd5e_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_bnknTft8bsF_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00202_j2j1rt1XqZJ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_sl15ldnLs5_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• Reynard changed the title to 1976 MGB ROADSTER - $4,500 (Solvang CA)

I've noticed over the years that for some reason these older British sports cars don't seem to hold their value like other cars for the 60's and 70's. Is it because us old coots can't get into them anymore? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I've noticed over the years that for some reason these older British sports cars don't seem to hold their value like other cars for the 60's and 70's. Is it because us old coots can't get into them anymore? 

I suspect getting into them is not the real problem. Getting out however…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I suspect getting into them is not the real problem. Getting out however…

That's one of the few places the rubber bumper B shines. To meet Federal bumper height regs it's several inches higher off the ground than a chrome bumper job.😃

What has always amazed me is in the 70s the feds caved to the insurance industry's clamor for 5mph bumpers to reduce payouts, creating homely faces such as this otherwise sexy little Britcar sports.

Why then, 50 years later, does that industry not clamor for total prohibition of cellphone or other electronic distraction use while operating a motor vehicle?

• Like 3

This looks like a decent B. I know a bit about these. They are fun to drive, easy to work on, and you can get any part you need. There are some pitfalls, starting with rust. The first place to look is the rocker panels and the rear panel underneath the trunk lid.

In the rocker (outer sill in MG speak) there should be a vertical seam at the lower edge of the front fender and another toward the rear. If these are not visible, run away. This means they’ve been filled in as part of a poor rust repair or in an attempt to hide rust. There is no such thing as “a little rust” on a B. The sills are an integral part of the structure and they rust from the inside out. This car looks to have good seams on both sides, which is a good sign. 

The rear panel is not as critical as the rockers. Similar situation - there should be two vertical seams. These are often filled during a repaint. Sometimes people just think it looks better that way, other times there was rust coming through that seam so they covered it over. 

I prefer the chrome bumper versions, preferably ‘67 and earlier. That said, this one seems like a good deal and the rubber bumper cars can be lots of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In 1976 all the automakers were struggling to meet the new smog regulations. MG put this rather charming clock-work box in the middle of the speedometer cable which claims to track the useful life of the catalytic converter. I don't know of any other automaker who even considered this! 

image.jpeg.cffaf1c4b12fb06024ac7746b736119a.jpeg

• Like 1

My 77' Datsun Pickup had some kind of little electrical box in it that set off a warning light to return the truck to the dealer. I tracked it down when my light came on. It had a little rubber plug on it's face. I was able to pull it out and stuck a piece of wire in it and that reset it. The light never came on again. I don't recall anything being mentioned in the service manual about it. 

I'm not aware of a set service life on any catalytic converter!

The whole concept of a chemical catalyst is it's not consumed in the reaction. 

Maybe if it were made by Lucas....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2023 at 5:54 PM, Gearheadengineer said:

This looks like a decent B. I know a bit about these. They are fun to drive, easy to work on, and you can get any part you need. There are some pitfalls, starting with rust. The first place to look is the rocker panels and the rear panel underneath the trunk lid.

In the rocker (outer sill in MG speak) there should be a vertical seam at the lower edge of the front fender and another toward the rear. If these are not visible, run away. This means they’ve been filled in as part of a poor rust repair or in an attempt to hide rust. There is no such thing as “a little rust” on a B. The sills are an integral part of the structure and they rust from the inside out. This car looks to have good seams on both sides, which is a good sign. 

The rear panel is not as critical as the rockers. Similar situation - there should be two vertical seams. These are often filled during a repaint. Sometimes people just think it looks better that way, other times there was rust coming through that seam so they covered it over. 

I prefer the chrome bumper versions, preferably ‘67 and earlier. That said, this one seems like a good deal and the rubber bumper cars can be lots of fun. 

Thanks for the tip.Tomorrow I'll check out the seams on my 74 B.

• Like 1