6 volt battery for 1939 Special

fosbreed1

3EH 6-volt battery works, it fits the tray and appears period correct. About $180 at Tractor supply or NAPA.  Clean up both ends of each battery cable.  And consider replacing your battery cables, especially if previous owner installed thin ones.  I just purchased some 00 Gauge (2/0 AWG) reasonably priced from BatterycablesUSA.com.

• Like 1

Today I was able to get a new battery from BATTERIES PLUS for $138 out the door  I was happy with the price and the service.

NAPA in my area had 2 in stock but the dates on them are from 2022 and the price is $170 plus taxes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well don't leave us hanging! Show us the bracket.;)

• Haha 2

On 7/31/2023 at 5:32 PM, Fireball8man said:

Please read the partial attached article that I wrote for the Torque Tube II magazine.  These 6-Volt Optima batteries have lasted well over 15 years.6V-1.jpg.8cbafdb54cd466c3c010f04fbcb67a4d.jpg

I use a pair of these 6-Volt Optima batteries IN PARALLEL SO STILL 6-VOLT but tons of Amperage-

Installed in both my 1937 Roadmaster 80C , and my 1941 Cadillac Convertible cabriolet.

They fit into the original battery box , and No starting issues !

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BuickTom87 said:

Can you show me a picture of how your setup looks?? 

Sorry, but not able to get to the cars now-

mine are simply side-by-side in the battery box,

connected in parallel, so positive to positive, and negative to negative with "00" or 2/0 (Double Aught) cable

• Like 2

I tried the big long tractor battery and it only lasted 2 years, then I switched to Optima and it's already 7 years old and works like new. And I'm too old to lower a 70 pound (I'm guessing) battery into position. Those things are HEAVY and the optima weighs 10 pounds soaking wet.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BuickTom87 said:

Thank you , going to have to do this! I appreciate the help and photo.  Just look for a place to make some cables for the setup. 

Also check with RV places-

Many motorhomes have banks of batteries linked together with those types of connectors.

Mine originally came from NAPA - a short-ish 2/0 insulated cable with a terminal clamp on each end and also a post at one end as if it were the original battery terminal

• Like 1