1958 Corvette, not mine.

1958 Chevrolet corvette

$20,000
Listed 2 days ago in Spokane, WA

Seller's Description

58 Corvette Project Car. Serious inquires only! Min. bid now 20k, will take the highest bid. Have New Frame and most parts. There is no engine block. You would have to file for lost title, as we cannot find it, I bought it for my ex back in 97, it was in his name and he passed away.

Product photo of 1958 Chevrolet CorvetteProduct photo of 1958 Chevrolet Corvette

Product photo of 1958 Chevrolet Corvette

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Do these Corvettes have the car’s serial number stamped in the frame? When restored it will never score very high at any NCRS show since it does not have the original block. This car is shot and if it were any car other than a Corvette it would have seen the scrap heap ages ago.

I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the 58 Corvette has some things styling wise taken to excess. The phony louvers on the hood and the extra chrome “accents” on the trunk don’t do anything for the design, along with the dual headlights. The 1956-57 Corvette had a much cleaner look.

One thing in its favor, it definitely has no rust in the body!

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New frame can only mean original one was damaged. The body shows no signs of an accident. Rusty frame? Cut up for frame modifications? Vin tag should be in the door jam. A vin search can be done, and every State has a process for acquiring a title. You would want to find out what that involves. It always surprises me that the owners do not file for a title. They can show long term ownership. The body by itself is very valuable to the Corvette crowd. A desirable classic sports car. The restoration of the fiberglass bodies can get spendy. That could be a nice clean body.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

File for lost title my eye.  From the description, it was titled to someone who has since died.  That would likely require an estate to be opened so the title could be transferred by the heirs.   That could be expensive, as a lot of time has passed.  

If the title is not in the system. You can file to establish history of ownership. And if a search shows no title and record of vin. Which can be done before purchase. There should be a process that a person can go through. Every State is different. No record of vin or title in a search. In Idaho and in Oregon, a title can be acquired with out to much hassle, just going through the filing process. Not sure what Washington State requires. Document every step of the purchase, and digital pictures are really cheap. And can come in handy showing the as found/purchased condition.

I agree that the seller is in the best position to acquire the new title BEFORE the car is sold. I've bought two cars from estates. The first was a bit of a mess, and took a year or so to clear up, though the seller (the Son in Law) was cooperative but didn't want to upset the Widow, and they were in So Cal. It was finally worked out. The second was easy. The seller, the son of the deceased, had all the paperwork lined up and I just needed one trip to the DMV. Twenty grand for a bunch of headaches? I'd buy a C5 instead.

• Like 1

A no hit body with factory bonding strips in place is very desirable, even if the plan is to build the car on a modern platform. What a great start to an EV build. These cars are judged so heavy on original engines, as others have stated. NCRS winner, it will never be. But it’s popularity ensures it will live on in some form.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rivguy said:

I agree that the seller is in the best position to acquire the new title BEFORE the car is sold. I've bought two cars from estates. The first was a bit of a mess, and took a year or so to clear up, though the seller (the Son in Law) was cooperative but didn't want to upset the Widow, and they were in So Cal. It was finally worked out. The second was easy. The seller, the son of the deceased, had all the paperwork lined up and I just needed one trip to the DMV. Twenty grand for a bunch of headaches? I'd buy a C5 instead.

Seller is also possible loosing money by not presenting the car in the best light before advertising. A title in hand, and that body at least sitting on the frame. So a cart can be rolled under it for transport. Would help the sale big time. Always a market for clean early Vette bodies. Price???? A close inspection would be needed to determine that.

6 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

A vin search can be done, and every State has a process for acquiring a title. You would want to find out what that involves. It always surprises me that the owners do not file for a title.

LOL because it's in Washington. :lol:

In theory she could file for lost title in her late ex husband's name, and assuming the title was really in his name, and not sitting in a drawer with 5 signatures on it, and assuming she still lives at the same address, Olympia would send a new title in *his* name to that address, and then she could run it through probate or whatever to get it in her name. Or, if the estate is an uncomplicated one and everything went to her, there is a good chance it could just be transferred then because Washington is a community property state and the rules apply to a couple after a certain number of years together even if they weren't legally married. Even better if her name was on the title too. In that case, a death certificate given to a license agency to be forwarded to Olympia, probably a *certified* copy, (which nobody ever seems to have enough of) and the car just becomes hers.

Well, that's  in a perfect world. In reality, the license agency will tell her it is not in the system anymore because it has been some number of years (3? 5?), and the request has to go to Olympia. Olympia will then stonewall her, allegedly because they can't or won't find it. It may be insufficient records staff. Or if you are a suspicious person, as I am, you might think Olympia purged all those old records and won't admit it. So then she will need to tow it to the Washington State Patrol so they can inspect it, verifying all the numbers and such, and probably checking if it is stolen. Then she can pay some large lump sum fee to the state, which will enable her to then also buy it plates and license tabs for three consecutive years. If no one else has come forward with proof of ownership at the end of that three years, Olympia will send her a new title in her name.

Not surprised at all.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

A no hit body with factory bonding strips in place is very desirable, even if the plan is to build the car on a modern platform. What a great start to an EV build. These cars are judged so heavy on original engines, as others have stated. NCRS winner, it will never be. But it’s popularity ensures it will live on in some form.

Who cares about NCRS anymore? If so just go buy one already judged and get your silly diploma with the car. It's a 65 yr old plastic Chevy stripped apart. Will cost far more $$ and time to make it a ribbon/diploma winner from a bunch of Chevy snobs. Nobody else cares, so build a hot rod out of it. Or go buy a complete chassis from someone who has already resto- modded a C1 and wants rid of the old restored chassis. See at least one a month up for sale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1