Brand new 1973 Toyotas at dealership in island of Cyprus.......Abandoned

• arcticbuicks changed the title to Brand new 1973 Toyotas at dealership in island of Cyprus.......Abandoned

if you google island of cyprus......it was greek and Turkey invaded in 1974 and the ppl of Flamagusta city fled in a instant.........the city has been fenced off ever since........houses and apartments with food still on the table,every business nearly like the day the people left.......some light bulbs still on as they eventually burn out.......airplanes still sitting at the airport shut off that day in 1974...........and the Toyota dealership is my favorite

i read in recent years there have been people sneaking in,even though the army guards it.......also it was an invasion and there was probably damage in that time.......i am not the authority on it .......just find the Toyota dealership new cars interesting

• Like 2

22 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

yes.....but i want one of the Celicas ......if there is ever an auction......the city is reopening but still in dispute as to the original owners claims to property

I'd take one of the Celicas,too, because that was my 1st brand new car (at 17 years old) in 1974.

They are hard to find in the USA

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 7:22 AM, Bhigdog said:

Or removed the engines from the 727........bob

Probably what aircraft stayed was being worked on and out of service at the time.  I can’t imagine any airline leaving any flyable aircraft behind. 

Hard to say what would happen during an armed conflict. That said, I don't think any airline would be doing a triple engine change on the ramp of some out of the way airport. BTW, the plane isn't a Boeing 727 it's a Hawker Siddley trident. In any event it likely only has salvage value now...........Bob

On 5/31/2023 at 7:55 AM, Joe Cocuzza said:

I'd take one of the Celicas,too, because that was my 1st brand new car (at 17 years old) in 1974.

They are hard to find in the USA

Ever harder to find in Canada due to rust.

Still a number of them here on the West Coast. But very few ever seem to come up for sale, and when they do it's generally not at what I would concider a " decent value for the money " price. I wanted one at one time and even have a 18 RG engine out in my storage shed. But I doubt I will ever own one at todays market price. Why would you pay 2  times the price of a MGB GT , or about the same price as a TVR 2500 for a Celica ? 

OK little cars. But hardly spectacular.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have a 73 very rust free,had it since the 1970s but I made a convertible out of it when I was 18 and then swapped a 327 V8 into it .....wish now I didn't ....it's a little overpowered  ,and I recently found two complete nearly rust free dry Saskatchewan prairie cars 1971 and 1972 celicas that I'm selling to Japan if it goes through IMG_20230604_031231200.jpg.5715c60fd2c38491c669000939cabca7.jpg ,I like the celicas for how reliable and they go really well ......and the style 

I knew of Cyprus from travels years ago .....and it was very much protected area and guarded even up to a few short years ago .....I notice now in the last several years from pics etc on the internet .....how much has been looted......there was a few stories on the aircraft abandoned on tarmac the day of invasion ....and not being repaired .....as far as the looting ..it could also be that it is reopening .....and maybe no more UN guarding .....not sure the reasons ......but a few years ago it was still very much complete as left.......there were cars left on the streets ,I remember a motorcycle dealers shop also .I follow the stories years now just to see what happens with all the new Toyota's......there is also several crown models extremely valuable large inline 6 cyl and huge 

18R-G's came out in 1973 and made until 1982. But as far as I know not sold in North America. They came in the performance model { GT 2000's } Celica's, Corona's and Carina's. Quite a few of the engines have been imported over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing one of the cars they came from in Canada. I understand that even in Japan they are reasonably rare these days.

The liftback roof was also introduced much earlier { 1973 } on the Japanese market cars.GTP Cool Wall: 1973-1975 Toyota Celica 2000GT (RA25) | GTPlanet

4 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

I have a 73 very rust free,had it since the 1970s but I made a convertible out of it when I was 18 and then swapped a 327 V8 into it .....wish now I didn't ....it's a little overpowered  ,and I recently found two complete nearly rust free dry Saskatchewan prairie cars 1971 and 1972 celicas that I'm selling to Japan if it goes through IMG_20230604_031231200.jpg.5715c60fd2c38491c669000939cabca7.jpg ,I like the celicas for how reliable and they go really well ......and the style 

You could probably find a rough shell and salvage the roof to turn your convertible back into a coupe. A rust free shell is worth the effort to get back to a closer to stock Celica. Changing a roof is a lot easier than repairing a rusty shell like most Celica owners end up doing.

this car is too heavily modified to change back,i had a welder friend back when i cut it up [more concerned the car would crumple and i would die ].........he welded the whole floor with sub frame connectors,and we took out quite a section of floor for chevy trans to fit........and firewall center section remade,its all good for many years now so i will just keep it,i was going to do one of the two Saskatchewan celicas i just bought,but i am getting crazy money for them........its always been on my list to try and buy one of the cyprus cars.......and i do have a contact there keeping watch for me

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)