A Tractor related Automobile Tale. The Plymouth.

Dandy Dave

Once upon a time in America there was a Tractor called a Plymouth. Starting in 1933 these were built by Fate-Root-Heath, Co. in Plymouth Ohio. Chrysler took note and started a law suit. The findings were that Plymouth Tractor company did indeed own the name as they built Locomotives and Trucks long before Chrysler built the Plymouth automobile. Not to be mired down about the situation, the good natured folks at the Plymouth Tractor Company sold the rights to the name to Chrysler. The tractor was renamed the Silver King and painted Silver with red wheels. I recently acquired two. These were considered the first modern tractor with Electric lighting, Electric start, and a fast road gear. These little tractors will go 25 to 30 MPH. Also the last photo is of one that I had years ago. If anyone is interested more on these tractors here. https://www.farmcollector.com/tractors/history-of-silver-king-tractors/

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Dont know much about tractors, I do like to watch the auctions on tv and try to get to the local steam show once a year. I have not heard of a Plymouth but have heard of the Silver King. Nice addition to your collection.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pkhammer said:

These are cool tractors and I would love to own one. Same Hercules IXB engine as in my BF Avery tractor.

Correct. Durable, reliable and tough engine. 3X4. I'm working on the second Silver King. I got the stuck engine to nudge yesterday. Soaking it last night.

• Like 1

Speaking of Plymouth, the story goes that Walter Chrysler and K T Keller were trying to figure out a name for their new low priced car when Keller said "What about Plymouth?" and Chrysler replied "Hell, every farmer knows Plymouth binder twine. Plymouth it is".

Never heard of the binder twine company suing Chrysler, I guess they figured the public could tell the difference between a ball of twine and an automobile.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tonz said:

I've heard that Massey Harris started off with Chrysler 6 and 4 motors.

Which makes perfect sense when I drive my model 50 Chrysler.

Yes. I've worked on a few with Chrysler 6 cylinder Industrial engines. Also Continental engines depending on the model. The Wallis tractor was the forerunner of the Massy Harris tractor line. These early Wallis/ Massy Harris tractors did not have Chrysler Industrial engines though. A tractor I ran from time to time. Serial number was 77. I still am a close friend to the family that owned this example.

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 7:16 AM, Dandy Dave said:

Once upon a time in America there was a Tractor called a Plymouth. Starting in 1933 these were built by Fate-Root-Heath, Co. in Plymouth Ohio.

So the same company who built the Plymouth locomotives we talked about recently.

Plymouth_Locomotive_Works_August_1926_ad

• Like 1