World's largest scale model car show Today, April 22nd, Wayne NJ

Billy Kingsley

My apologies for not posting this sooner, but the world's largest model car show is being held today, Saturday, April 22nd, in Wayne New Jersey at the PAL building. 

It is expected that over 2000 hand built model cars will be on display by builders from at least three continents. 

I am bringing seven of my own builds to show. (Although mostly race cars)

There are also three basketball courts worth of vendors and quality food available on sight. 

This is the scale modeling equivalent of Hershey.

The website is nnleast.com where you can find directions, pictures from past events and much more. It's something we all look forward to in the hobby. I'm headed out the door to go there right now myself...I will share some pictures tomorrow. 

• Like 10

I don’t know of any events like this close by to me, wish there was.  Back when I could get around independently I used to go to model railroading shows and buy a lot of stuff that now is stored in boxes in the basement.  The Hot Wheels and other 1/64 stuff is now my interest.

I ended up being the official photographer and shot a whole lot of pictures...I'll get them processed tomorrow, too exhausted tonight. 

Terry, I moderate a group on Facebook which is nothing but model show flyers. If you send me a pm with your home region I can let you know when I see any. There are some in almost every state, although the northeast, Ohio and Indiana are the most populous with shows. 

• Like 3

Billy, have you ever seen Car Model  magazine? It folded in 1974 after master modeler Dave Shuklis died, but it was great.

I had a sub from 1971 till the end and learned some neat techniques, including some that were way beyond my capabilities. First saw it in a local newsstand in 1969 when I'd ride with my Uncle Gene to pick up his Sunday Baltimore Sun, after he and my Aunt Evelyn had retired from SSA Baltimore and moved here.

I was probably the only kid in my high school who read the magazine.🙄

Only reading this now. I had attended this show several years ago ( maybe a decade or more ago) lots of stuff for sale . Model cars and maybe two pre WWII era pressed steel toy trucks also on a table for sale at the time.

I loved building car models as a kid. I still have most of them in boxes in the basement. Everytime I read a thread like this I want to dig them out and start some restoration work! One of these days I will. I was recently at Hobby Lobby and looked at the kits. Major sticker shock, but I suppose that is with me being old and out of touch. Most of the kits were in the $50 range. When I was about 10 or so, pop would take me to town on friday night, give me a $5 bill. I would head to western auto,  get a model kit (I preferred Revell as I thought there attention to detail was better and they were a bit more difficult to build, AMT was my second choice). Get a tube of glue and some paint to add to my collection of dozens of colours. Still would have change to get some candy or junk. I even had a workbench set up in the basement with my modeling tools, paint booth, the whole nine yards. It was like a high end car shop in miniature.

• Like 4

On 4/23/2023 at 9:13 AM, TAKerry said:

I loved building car models as a kid. I still have most of them in boxes in the basement. Everytime I read a thread like this I want to dig them out and start some restoration work! One of these days I will.

Same here. Building model kits as a kid was a BLAST! Thirty years ago, I thought I would get back into it, and bought several kits, but finding time was difficult so I never put them together. I sent those unbuilt kits to a forum member about a year ago or so, and eventually gave away all of my completed kits from my youth. I hated having all that stuff in my closet and not being used for its intended purpose. When my kids were smaller, I tried getting them involved in assembling models but they just weren't interested. They did try, however, getting me back into my old hobby by giving me some pre-painted metal kits for birthdays and such. Other family members and friends did, as well. I still have those four or five kits assembled and displayed.

Despite my lack of involvement, I would still love to go to an event like the one Billy mentioned. I used to buy modeling magazines as a kid and would see articles on big shows on the east and west coasts. We had nothing like that around here, though I do remember hearing that sometimes local car shows would have model competitions and shows.

When I was about 10 or so, pop would take me to town on friday night, give me a $5 bill. I would head to western auto,  get a model kit (I preferred Revell as I thought there attention to detail was better and they were a bit more difficult to build, AMT was my second choice). Get a tube of glue and some paint to add to my collection of dozens of colours. Still would have change to get some candy or junk.

As a kid I remember tiny little corner retail stores that would sell model car kits. Some of them were drug stores, some of them were craft shops, sothers were actual hobby shops. I remember those places - and the creaky ancient people who worked there - as fondly as the kits they sold. My grandma would give me $1 as a very small child and I could walk down to the corner drug store two blocks away (with my older brothers) and buy a 1/25 scale snap-together kit. (The 1/32 scale cars cost even less!) My first one was an AMT 1959 Buick...my first favorite car!

• Like 3

The local pharmacy (still there, Western Auto is long gone) had some model kits as well. Every now and then I would get one from there. But the selection was limited to  maybe a dozen kits. The WA on the other hand had a large shelf with probably 100 or so.

• Like 1

I took over 1600 pictures so needless to say I will not be sharing them all, but here are some from the Factory Stock builds...you can see them all on my website here: NNL East 2023 album | El Camino Billy | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

AMT announced three new tools, a 1971 Dodge Demon, 1963 Ford pickup and 1960 Ford pickup. They made a 60 back in the day, but the tooling is long gone, so they made a new one.

2v2ew1Kw2x2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewAr1dx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewArCjx2zUmm.jpg

Muscle cars are the most popular kits

2v2ewAj2Gx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewAjJLx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewAjaGx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewAjbdx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewAjiFx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewAjCqx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ewA8H8x2zUmm.jpg

2v2ew6JMDx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ew6ELhx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ew6ZUVx2zUmm.jpg

2v2ew6ZMWx2zUmm.jpg

There were more heavy commercial builds than usual

2v2ewAW7Cx2zUmm.jpg

OK not stock, but mine. I'm known for only building what's visible on a finished model, no engines or underside detail. 

2v2ewARigx2zUmm.jpg

The two Kodak cars and the Onx car are mine also.

2v2ewfCZWx2zUmm.jpg

This was my favorite build of the show. 

2v2ewfVvhx2zUmm.jpg

Yes, the NNL started because of the GSL in Utah, which is where I'm going next week. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the photos, and I am pleased to see one of yours there!

I don't know about that "1932 Chevrolet model? Chevrolet never built such a car. However, many years ago I did try to buy a 1929 Chevrolet six cylinder with an after-market custom built boat-tail roadster body! The "Chevrolet" model looks like a cross between a Buick and a Cadillac with an extended hood and custom body? I wonder if there is a story behind the model?

• Like 1

Modelling was one of the ways that I got in to cars as well. I was building them long before I could drive. I tried to get my Son interested, but I don't think he's really a car guy. I had a bit of sticker shock too. But usually, you can find deals on ebay; especially for some of the reissue stuff. It's hard for me to set aside the time to spend on thigns like that right now. But I sure do miss it. Thanks for the pictures. 

Dan

• Like 1