For Sale: 1948 Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe, 76K miles - $24,900 - Shaker Heights, OH - Not Mine

For Sale: 1948 Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe, 76K miles - $24,900 - Shaker Heights, OH

1948 Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Rarely seen New Yorker Coupe ... Meadow Green ... Beige leather ... 323.5 CID straight eight ... Fluid drive transmission ... Beautiful chrome ... odometer: 76500
Contact: Please call Joe at (216) 9-ninety-8-twenty-7 for additional information.
Copy and paste in your email: ed3e4831c05f35c6bca4d299ab92c53f@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1948 Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe.

'48 Chrysler NYer OH a.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH b.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH c.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH d.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH e.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH f.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH g.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH h.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH i.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH j.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH k.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH l.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH m.jpg

'48 Chrysler NYer OH n.jpg

• Like 4

I was watching an old B&W movie the other night and one of the cars the main movie characters were in was equipped with dual spotlights, just like this car.  I used to think dual spotlights were an aftermarket excess but apparently they were somewhat common back when street lighting was not as good as it is today.  The movie car was not a police car.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, zeke01 said:

Personally, the issue is not how they look on the outside but the handles protruding into the inside. Those handles are always in the way.

Well there is more room in the back seat for that kind of behavior 😀.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Fluid drive is not the transmission either

You are correct, but I think you should cut some slack to people who get confused by the MoPar terminology of the era.  People regularly refer to the transmission as "Fluid Drive" because that's what it says right on the horn button.  But, in fact, the transmission on the Chrysler was the "Presto-Matic."  (Or "Tip-Toe" shift on the DeSoto, or "Gyro-matic" on the Dodge.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zeke01 said:

Personally, the issue is not how they look on the outside but the handles protruding into the inside. Those handles are always in the way.

We have a side curtain car. My dad could not control himself. He put wind wings and spotlights on the car. There was only one position that the spotlights and the wind wings could be in out of 1 million positions where you wouldn’t scratch the paint on the door. I finally took the wings off Because it was way easier than the spotlights. Unfortunately now I see when driving  thecar there is a use for them. They may go back on if I can figure out how to get the spotlights off. 

6269C712-3CF8-425D-8F73-006B7EE8A122.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Indeed there is a use for wind wings! My 1930 Packard touring has them and without them it is pretty "drafty" ( using polite language here not what I really want to say).  I believe most of the posed smiling photos of people sitting in cars especially the ones of the drivers ( to show they are in charge behind the wheel) is before they drive 600 feet down the road in wind and are blown to bits.  A car with no wind wings ( touring) being driven in the rain is even worse. Wind and wet ................. but yes we still love them. mostly,

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, alsancle said:

We have a side curtain car. My dad could not control himself. He put wind wings and spotlights on the car. There was only one position that the spotlights and the wind wings could be in out of 1 million positions where you wouldn’t scratch the paint on the door. I finally took the wings off Because it was way easier than the spotlights. Unfortunately now I see when driving  thecar there is a use for them. They may go back on if I can figure out how to get the spotlights off. 

6269C712-3CF8-425D-8F73-006B7EE8A122.jpeg

Beautiful!

How do you add spotlights to a side curtain car? 

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Indeed there is a use for wind wings! My 1930 Packard touring has them and without them it is pretty "drafty" ( using polite language here not what I really want to say).  I believe most of the posed smiling photos of people sitting in cars especially the ones of the drivers ( to show they are in charge behind the wheel) is before they drive 600 feet down the road in wind and are blown to bits.  A car with no wind wings ( touring) being driven in the rain is even worse. Wind and wet ................. but yes we still love them. mostly,

You are correct, Walt. The windshield seems to be fairly useless.

• Like 1

We have talked a lot at the museum about spotlights. They were very common in the forties and some fifties. Were they a novelty or did they serve a useful purpose? And when was the last year anyone saw one on a car with any regularity?  It's a good conversation subject.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 24Chry48 said:

We have talked a lot at the museum about spotlights. They were very common in the forties and some fifties. Were they a novelty or did they serve a useful purpose? And when was the last year anyone saw one on a car with any regularity?  It's a good conversation subject.

My 1951 Pontiac had a spotlight on the driver’s side only.  Attached to the back of it was a rear view mirror.  This combo gave you probably one of the first versions of a remotely controlled external rear view mirror.

Later on twin “dummy” spotlights were customizing accessories mounted on the car at the base of the windshield.  My guess is the spotlight as a working accessory was out of favor by the mid-1960s.  The exception being police cars and utility vehicles like pickups and of course fire apparatus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

The exception being police cars and utility vehicles like pickups and of course fire apparatus.

This is exactly what I think of when I see them on a car. In the old days before yard and street lights they probably served a good purpose.