25 Dodge tourer restoration

Mattml430

Managed to get the dash in today and everything seemed to work which was a bonus. 
IMG_5048.jpeg.74682791dc87bb65f8169863e849faee.jpegI got as much hooked up as I could before bolting it in. 
IMG_5051.jpeg.c01a9994493cc3bf9bc59b839613980d.jpegHood bows are coming along and hopefully I’ll have them in tomorrow. 
IMG_5053.jpeg.0bf5dadaf0229e84b53c2aaa9472eeb1.jpeg
I have glued up the other half of the steering wheel this afternoon so I can get that machined up and put together. Once thats done I’m just making some new linkages with all new ball joints for the throttle and advance. 

Then it’s test drive time. 

• Like 5

Thanks, Matt. It seems odd to me that there isn't one. I have seen documentation that they could be ordered as dealer installed. They were normally only on deluxe cars along with a nickeled radiator shell, like this car.  The master parts book calls for an " insulating washer and spring." But the knuckleheads don't show a picture of anything. I can't imagine the life of a parts man back then. Only the first few parts books show exploded views. I am trying to prove something right now concerning Victory roadsters. The dam parts book shows all body styles except the roadster. And all without pictures.                                                                                                                 Matt, and others, I just got back from AACA museum. They were given a '25 deluxe coupe that looks like it was painted with a broom. BUT it had remnants of seals under the cowl lights. Looked to be very thin, maybe 1 1/2 MM to you 1/16 to US with a rim around them. NOT saying Aussie cars were to have them as your cars are way different then US cars. AND it had a pair of step plates just like this touring has. I have seen them before but not many. They are also shown in the master parts book in one of the VERY few pictures. Still have yet to see the coolassed fender guards this car has.

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nearchoc Doug wrote, inter alia:  "I can't imagine the life of a parts man back then."

So Doug, since parts orders were sent by the dealers to the factory by telegraph, and in order to minimize telegraph costs DB adopted 5-or-6 letter acronyms for each part that the dealership parts man had to memorize, don't you think you would have had a really good time memorizing all those parts acronyms?  I'm sure you would have really enjoyed it!

• Like 1

There were some really good parts guys around a few years ago. In the 70"s and 80's there was Dominic, at the Austin agency, who knew every part off by heart, and every modification needed as well.  Magic. I think he was a bit stuffed though when they took over Honda as well.

The steering wheel is all together and ready for painting. 
IMG_5055.jpeg.61d4071526738c7602005a61415ad785.jpegcentre spokes all polished up ready to be fitted. IMG_5056.jpeg.e8095dd51b6ba7401107296f2c51358c.jpegI use hot melt glue to stick it on my wheel facing machine so I can get it perfectly round and flat. IMG_5058.jpeg.8fa4ab2d94012054caebf9849aceefa5.jpegMachining the inside and outside edges. 
IMG_5060.jpeg.2e90f6afd21aa8f300c67ee07daadccc.jpegTrueing up the face to be clamped together. 
IMG_5059.jpeg.a40ad46ebb4d8b19d00777393b46b9b7.jpegOne half all trued up ready for the end of the spoke to be cut in. 
IMG_5065.jpeg.38ebae7917af2bf813b9867a091520d5.jpegeach half has the spoke end housed out with the joins 60 degrees apart. 
IMG_5066.jpeg.e323e3a440ff70eeb867feb36352f925.jpegspoke Locke in once both halves are joined together. IMG_5067.jpeg.ce4e2945489aa560c471d2ddd721c5bc.jpegAll glued up with epoxy. 
IMG_5068.jpeg.6330f368b2ca1c0209556b31546aff38.jpegOut of the clamps after about 6 hours and I can clean up the edges and rout a rounded edge on them. 
IMG_5070.jpeg.17c2a0d2bf449083101e74c3780e5d3b.jpegI stick it in the lathe  to speed thing up a little and it gets it sanded nice and even. IMG_5071.jpeg.991f99ba7d9d1514d429b06265d79bb9.jpegIMG_5072.jpeg.d2555b04f77686b15de1034baeccafd7.jpegit gets glue back onto the wheel table and I router cut some finger grooves into the back of it. IMG_5073.jpeg.334fe50b21486e1ed90e0493c328cf04.jpegIMG_5074.jpeg.5e8a7145db9ba1c0dcc6331e3da2649a.jpegFinished sanded with 320 grit and ready for staining. IMG_5075.jpeg.3327d237f5710e3c50dd5aa996058a7e.jpegready for a coat of clear. After the first coat I’ll remove the tape off the wheel centre and give it a quick polish up, and then clear coat the whole lot so it will always look like new. 

• Like 8

I will be fitting all the new linkages that I made today into it tomorrow so once the wheel and steering column is in I can then take  it for a test drive. IMG_5076.jpeg.4494b36332884e5191085abc2548f05b.jpegI get great use out of my dad’s old P&N tap and die sets. These things are probably 20 years older than me and still cut perfectly. 
IMG_5077.jpeg.8e05dd1e7e94b910791ffc6db3a90c28.jpegall the new linkages made up from the old ones. I’ve gone up a size so if there’s any play in the holes I can drill them out to the next size up. 

• Like 6

Thanks Matt for the detail on the steering wheel construction, it is quite impressive in terms of quality and speed. A further question on linkages , is there an Australian supplier of the Bent-Swivel Ball Joints ?? My best efforts have located them at McMaster-Carr in the US.. 

Regards  Norm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AussieBuick said:

Thanks Matt for the detail on the steering wheel construction, it is quite impressive in terms of quality and speed. A further question on linkages , is there an Australian supplier of the Bent-Swivel Ball Joints ?? My best efforts have located them at McMaster-Carr in the US.. 

Regards  Norm

I have some of all the parts I bought of Bill Eldridge. It’s in a GJworks grab kit. I don’t know how old it is but has come in very handy. I’ve never been able to find them either. 
The address is on the picture, maybe try calling them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

7 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

I have some of all the parts I bought of Bill Eldridge. It’s in a GJworks grab kit. I don’t know how old it is but has come in very handy. I’ve never been able to find them either. 
The address is on the picture, maybe try calling them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry Matt, not sure when it happened but this address now houses 

Discount Party Imports.

McMaster it will have to be.

IMG_1014.jpeg.a6879b294da93961de08b767fd6e379a.jpeg

• Like 1

Well the old dodge made it out of the shed today under its own steam. Took it for a quick drive and just needed to adjust the brakes a little. Took it for another drive and she runs and drives just beautiful it surprised the shit out of me how well it went and sat on the road. 
Few small jobs to do still and it’s off to the upholsterer on Tuesday for the seats and top. 

IMG_5090.jpeg

IMG_5089.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Minibago said:

Sorry Matt, not sure when it happened but this address now houses 

Discount Party Imports.

McMaster it will have to be.

IMG_1014.jpeg.a6879b294da93961de08b767fd6e379a.jpeg

Yeah I wasn’t sure weather they still existed. The box I have is probably pretty old. 

50 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

Yeah I wasn’t sure weather they still existed. The box I have is probably pretty old. 

We used the range of Gee Jay kits in the Airforce back in the 1980’s the empty tins are now advertised on ebay as collectable and priced more expensive than when they were full.

11 minutes ago, Minibago said:

We used the range of Gee Jay kits in the Airforce back in the 1980’s the empty tins are now advertised on ebay as collectable and priced more expensive than when they were full.

I have quite a few Gee Jay tins amongst them all. Some are in perfect condition too. 

• Like 1

The old girl is off to Grant White upholstery tomorrow for the interior and Top. Ben decided to go with a dark Tan interior and mid tan top. I think it should look great all done. 
IMG_5127.jpeg.5fb029d41284d94eaa9374c55a05dc55.jpegsteering wheel is finished, it got about 7 coats of clear. 
IMG_5126.jpeg.ab5afb7bed33ff66185c9584cd1a240f.jpegIMG_5125.jpeg.01767d8d6fd7e70744f781e4fa01c19c.jpegHood bows are also fixed in. They are definitely a time consuming job getting the tapered end to fit in correctly. 
IMG_5128.jpeg.cfa871357beb292372d8a739671c7305.jpegI got the side curtain frames made out of some 16x3mm flat , I used 5/16 stainless steel pins so the don’t rust  IMG_5129.jpeg.aa6203e10233bdf39730bd172f2ce838.jpegIMG_5130.jpeg.1a4c5e719a12bc228034880d47fb0d25.jpegIMG_5131.jpeg.7054adf1b44e1ce95e543c6687af491b.jpegIMG_5132.jpeg.ce65ce744279e2bfa5cdef06af4ca540.jpegShe got a good hand wash to get all the work shop dust of it before going to grant’s. 
IMG_5133.jpeg.d9d9fe3f2b9b6caf77399db647d43d73.jpegLoaded on the trailer ready for it’s bit over an hour’s drive to grants. 
Onto the radiator surround now while it’s away. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

I like the varnished top bows.  Do you plan to leave them uncovered?

Just the centre up to the curves will be covered I think Mike. 

I find myself fantasizing a lot about going to Australia to volunteer to help these guys with their DB restorations in order to learn some of the things they could teach me, but I'm too old to do that. I sure wish I could, though. I know they would really up my resto game.

• Like 2

Without this forum and help from you guys on here there is some things that would be hard to find out. A little bit of help and different comments on things goes a long way to helping out. So thank you to everyone that followed the restoration and put there 2 cents in. 👍👍I do really appreciate it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Without this forum and help from you guys on here there is some things that would be hard to find out. A little bit of help and different comments on things goes a long way to helping out.

That's extremely humble and generous coming from the guy who, (among many other talents), found the tools to make the tools  to fix the tools necessary to make the machines and fixtures that simultaneously turns six spokes.

I'm sure you've forgotten more than most of us will ever know.... Or did I say that already?

IMG_3768.jpeg.558e98ff4d60572741287a4b549f8393.jpeg

Edited September 14, 2023 by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  •  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nat said:

Five, six, who's counting?

Thanks Nat appreciate it very much. Hopefully one day down the track some young fella will fall in love with making wooden wheels and I can pass it all on. The copy lathe definitely makes light work of making the spokes. 4 at a time with the pattern in the middle. 😂👍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nat said:

What upholstery material are you using?

Tan leather for the seats and a door trims, A matching vinyl for all the other bits and pieces. Hartz hood material for the top in a beige colour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, how's the radiators shell coming? I would think that is a real challenge as thin as it is to make perfect for plating. 

I haven’t started on it yet Doug I’m going to just rearrange the anodes in the tanks a little bit to see if that helps get better coverage. It’s all ready to go though, I’ve got it wrapped in plastic to keep it in perfect condition. I’ll definitely keep you updated on the progress. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

I haven’t started on it yet Doug I’m going to just rearrange the anodes in the tanks a little bit to see if that helps get better coverage. It’s all ready to go though, I’ve got it wrapped in plastic to keep it in perfect condition. I’ll definitely keep you updated on the progress. 

I'm one of the oddballs who likes seeing the details of processes so a few photos of tanks, solutions, etc are sure to be useful to others if you get time.

Excited to see the interior finished. Kudos to all involved. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 3:57 PM, Mattml430 said:

Tan leather for the seats and a door trims, A matching vinyl for all the other bits and pieces.

Vinyl is final but looks out of place if it's glossy.  The remains of my two leather back rests must have been things of beauty when new.   The door and side panels look like they are some sort of, (black), impregnated canvas which I would choose over anything glossy.

My car is a ratty "survivor" but I don't loose any sleep when the grands dump an ice cream on the back seat.

16 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

haven’t started on it yet Doug I’m going to just rearrange the anodes in the tanks a little bit to see if that helps get better coverage. It’s all ready to go though, I’ve got it wrapped in plastic to keep it in perfect condition. I’ll definitely keep you updated on the progress. 

So........  In addition to making the spoke copy lathe, (and other wheel jigs And fixtures), this guy made the tanks and power supply for electroplating?

Woodwork, metal work painting and plating.  Damn few are so capable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nat said:

Vinyl is final but looks out of place if it's glossy.  The remains of my two leather back rests must have been things of beauty when new.   The door and side panels look like they are some sort of, (black), impregnated canvas which I would choose over anything glossy.

My car is a ratty "survivor" but I don't loose any sleep when the grands dump an ice cream on the back seat.

So........  In addition to making the spoke copy lathe, (and other wheel jigs And fixtures), this guy made the tanks and power supply for electroplating?

Woodwork, metal work painting and plating.  Damn few are so capable.

The upholster sent the vinyl back because of that and got some that looks almost identical in colour and sheen. 

I will take some pictures of the tanks with the new anode set up once I have them done for you. 

• Like 3

I heard from the upholsterer today and he should have it all done by next Wednesday or Thursday. He’s finished the interior and seats and is doing the hood / Top now. Can’t wait to see it done. 

• Like 1