For Sale: 1977 AMC Gremlin X V-8 4-speed - Project - $8,600 - CROSSVILLE, TN - Not Mine

For Sale: 1977 AMC Gremlin X V-8 4-speed - Project - $8,600 - CROSSVILLE, TN

1977 AMC Gremlin X V-8 4-speed - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1977 AMC Gremlin X. 290 V-8, 4-speed Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission, Cragar SS wheels, new brakes, new tires, new u-joints, Hurst shifter, new gas tank/sending unit, Holley electric fuel pump, and new wipers. Everything works. A couple of small rust spots and a rear main seal leak is her only issues. I am only selling her to fund some other projects so NO LOW BALLERS! Serious inquiries only. This car was featured on You Tube. Search essigspeed to find videos. Call for more information. Trades considered. PHONE IS A LAND LINE, DO NOT TEXT!!! Sorry about the pictures, the car needed a bath at the time the photos were taken.
Copy and paste in your email: a266b40800e939e4b7e51592340dc9d6@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1977 AMC Gremlin X V-8 4-speed - Project.

'77 AMC Gremlin X TN a.jpg

'77 AMC Gremlin X TN b.jpg

'77 AMC Gremlin X TN c.jpg

'77 AMC Gremlin X TN d.jpg

'77 AMC Gremlin X TN e.jpg

Always thought AMC made the ugliest cars. A bit stylish in a retro way now. I have warmed up to the gremlins, not so much a pacer. If this is a real X may be a cool car to have. I do agree for the condition it seems a bit high though. If that is just dirt and tree sap and the paint may buff out then thats a different story. 

My parents bought one of these when I was born, and it was their first new car.  It only lived a few years before it succumbed to NJ winters and mechanical failure.  The color was "dog stuff" brown.  Without question the most poorly constructed and most hideous machine I ever rode in.  I'm blown away I like cars at all that being my first experience with cars.  As a toddler I knew just how cheap and poorly designed these were.  The next car was a used pea green '77 Chevy Impala with a 307.  Another complete dog but that was a Cadillac compared to that thing.

The Gremlin 'X' was a factory performance model. I think they had a bigger motor, and somewhat of a handling package, bigger tires etc. They were decaled as such with Gremlin X on the C pillar? The yellow car as posted does not have this, so I would assume its been repainted. Hence why I stated IF its a true X, it is a bit more desirable than a normal Gremlin, I would think. The 'XR' posted is different in that it looks like it has dealer added hi-po features, akin to a Yenko, or Nicki car. 

59 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

The Gremlin 'X' was a factory performance model. I think they had a bigger motor, and somewhat of a handling package, bigger tires etc. They were decaled as such with Gremlin X on the C pillar? The yellow car as posted does not have this, so I would assume its been repainted. Hence why I stated IF its a true X, it is a bit more desirable than a normal Gremlin, I would think. The 'XR' posted is different in that it looks like it has dealer added hi-po features, akin to a Yenko, or Nicki car. 

Yes. A Randell gremlin is a kin to a yenko Camaro.

They stuffed a 401 big block into the gremlin chassis. It was intended for drag racing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Checking American Motors, The Last Independent by Patrick Foster, the frontal styling is 1976, it changed for 1977.  Some states still titled cars in the calendar year in which they were sold which if this Gremlin was a leftover could have happened in 1977.

According to the Standard Catalog of Independents, edited by Ron Kowalke, 1976 was the last model year that the Gremlin V8 was catalogued.   Of the 52,941 Gremlins sold that year, only 826 were V8 engine cars.   The floor-shifted three speed with overdrive was listed for Gremlins and Hornet Six hatchbacks.  No mention of four speed transmissions were included.  "The "X" sporty package ($189) available only on the Gremlin Custom, added a full-length body stripe with 'X' decal, painted lower back panel, enine-turned finish instrument cluster overlay, glove box decal, D70 X 14 tires on slot-style wheels and a Space Saver spare tire."

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)

12 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Sal

I like AMC.  I just don’t like some of their cars. They went too far!  Gremlin?  Hornet?  Matador was pushing it. AMX was awesome and so were the Javelins.  

A Hornet SC is actually sort of cool. Especially with a four speed and posi.

In 1973 I test drove a new Gremlin- blue with Levi interior, V8, three on the floor, manual disc brakes and AM radio. Lightly (and in retrospect, perfectly) optioned. Sticker was around $2,600.

I liked it, but wanted an economy car. Bought a new VW beetle.

Often wished I'd bought that Gremlin. 

• Like 2

This car would be bucketloads of fun. I'm not too fond of the mold on the paint, but beyond than that I wouldn't change anything. The 290 can't really be original, it's probably from the late 60s. I believe this would have had a 304 if it was built with a v8 initially, and there were very few of those around. Most of the ones that were around were later versions with highly questionable late 1970s styling updates. "X" is just an appearance package, and not as good looking as what you see here in my opinion. Also as previously mentioned, this car looks older than 1977. Most were sixes. This probably was too. They were not underpowered with the six, at least not in the early 70s. A former employer of mine bought his daughter one with a six and she could light up the tires for more than a city block. As a 290 4 speed with the earlier styling, this is an enthusiast car with well chosen parts, and probably better left alone than restored.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

As a 290 4 speed with the earlier styling, this is an enthusiast car with well chosen parts, and probably better left alone than restored.

I guess this one would be called a "Day Three" car...  ;)

• Like 1

I saw a 401 equipped Gremlin  on eBay within the last year or two. I don't believe it was a Randall Engineering car, but I can't say for sure. It looked like it was in very nice condition with excellent paint. From the pictures it seemed like a professional conversion that was well sorted. No hack job Dukes of Hazard type car. It was priced at $26,000 and if it was as nice as it looked, I'd say it was well worth it.