It happened 40 years ago...

65VerdeGS

While rummaging through some papers I came across the hand-written receipt given to me by the previous owner of my '65 Gran Sport.  Back in February 1983 when I was 24 years old I found a Riviera advertised in the Seattle Auto-Trader.  I drove down one late February weeknight to look at the car, left a small deposit with the owner, promising to return that weekend to test drive the car and make the deal, which I did! 

image.png.b5c0f4797ad816b9bc3472257563faa2.png

For the princely sum of $1,800 I had myself an 18 year old Riviera with original paint, interior and engine.  It was my daily driver in Vancouver, BC for about ten years.  Nobody had one, and I thought it was one of the coolest cars ever made.

Here she is today.  We've been together 40 years now, and I still think it's the coolest car around!

image.png.a514c0550a2750665e61c19f46909bd1.png

• Like 11

I've had my '64 since '64.

Hard to believe it's been 59 years since.

It's so cool to go for a ride & be 18 again.

Still brings smiles to my face of the years that have gone by.

IF she??, my baby, had a voice to tell the story's she?? could tell!!!!

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

All my years growing up in Quebec, the metropolis of greater Montreal, I was unaware. Thought 2nd generation Rivieras were 1st gens and my thinking why not FWD like the sister divisions? And what's with Pontiac? No matter, we had Canadian Pontiacs which I much preferred and found them to be so cool.

I was an expert, especially GMs. I could identify a classic from the 50s, 60s & 70s out of the corner of my eye. I was at an age I thought I had the world-by-the-tail.

Then at 19 years of age while visiting upstate NY, a '65 Riviera, unlocked on an open acreage with other cars. What's this? A Buick? A Riviera! I had to sit inside. When I did, even more impressive!

Shortly after, moved to Alberta where I encountered more 1965s and hey, 1963/64s too. Aw, no clamshell headlights. It is here I acquired my 1st '63.

Sorry Alex, no receipt. I traded a 1967 Cutlass Convertible in 1980 for it. I think that one would've been less grief. I'm sure that previous Owner got the better deal!

How much longer will I have it? There's another project I purchased in 1980 that requires full restoration. Sell my Riv to fund that one? Tough decision ahead!

My Story.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, in 1983 1st Gen Rivieras were just another used car, sought after by only a few.  

I figure many got junked, crushed and melted down to make Honda Civics.

Fortunately, not all met that fate.  We can only guess how many are left?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Yes, in 1983 1st Gen Rivieras were just another used car, sought after by only a few.  

I figure many got junked, crushed and melted down to make Honda Civics.

Fortunately, not all met that fate.  We can only guess how many are left?

At least one got pretty abused for "Roadhouse".

• Like 1

" The best deal is not the cheapest one but the nicest car you can find" or, how the saying goes.

Not sure what my trade was worth but, I should've either held on to my trade or spent that $1800 or $1900 for a better Riviera! Mine is truly a survivor. Without me as it's custodian . . . curtains!

I still think 1st Gen Rivieras were a rare sight in the 70's and when I did find one for sale, was sticker shocked. I was also unaware of that saying until years later. Aaaah, I get it!

I have had many classics before getting married. However, like finding a chair to sit in when the music stopped. What I had at that point was it. In-fact, I promised to reduce my collection of 3 classics to 2 after that marital event. Another factor why I still have my Nailhead of 1979 is because all work came to a halt after house purchase and kids. Difficult to re-coup my costs on a non running project. So, it just sat.

One example I can still remember was the 1964 Cadillac Convertible used in the show Miami Vice with Don Johnson at the wheel. Suddenly, everyone wanted one. These cars, coupes and convertibles were more common than Rivieras. But asking price for '64 convertibles were $30K in the late '80s! I managed to find an entry level Series 62 coupe for an eastern friend. From memory, $3750? Still kept looking for a convertible and found rare drivable '64 Eldorado rust bucket for $8K. Luckily, a friend talked me out of it. 

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)