The identify this tool

halifaxhops

20 hours ago, hook said:

Nope! Way off. Here's a hint. It's for a Mercedes and the new picture is of two for a Franklin automobile like in my picture.

00.jpg

I have aligning studs for installing transmissions and intakes and such.

But in the pic you submitted, notice the rounded/slightly pointed end compared to the original poster's pic.  In the original poster pic, you can clearly see the squared off and knurled.  An aligning stud would look like your pic. That knurling is a way to get a good finger/hand grip on the tool. 

The original poster's pic is not an aligning stud.  Sorry

24 minutes ago, intimeold said:

...That knurling is a way to get a good finger/hand grip on the tool. 

Maybe this will change your mind. You can buy your very own aligning stud with the knurling on the end on Amazon, as well as numerous other places on the internet. There are many variations in the design. The knurling is to make it easy to grasp the stud to screw it back out after you have installed the bolts that hold the wheel on.

Amazon.com: Steel Wheel Hanger Alignment Pin Guide Tool - Metric 14x1.5 Threads - Wheel Lug Bolt Automotive Mechanic Tool Compatible with Audi Volkswagen Mercedes Benz Porsche - Pack of 2, M14x1.5 : Automotive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hook said:

Halifaxhops, it's obviously not a Ford prior to 1954. So what make is it for? I can't see Craftsman making a tool for anything but a common popular vehicle.

Honestly dont know saw it on the net.  Think it is 50's kind of universal, friend has one have to ask him when I see him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, intimeold said:

I have aligning studs for installing transmissions and intakes and such.

But in the pic you submitted, notice the rounded/slightly pointed end compared to the original poster's pic.  In the original poster pic, you can clearly see the squared off and knurled.  An aligning stud would look like your pic. That knurling is a way to get a good finger/hand grip on the tool. 

I really don't know what your talking about. And, I doubt you do either. The first pic. I submitted is a Mercedes wheel pilot. (as shown in my first photo here and what Ronnie showed you on Amazon) The second pic I posted is two wheel pilots for a Franklin automobile. (see my second photo here of the 1928 Franklin DWG) In their remake the ends where rounded for ease of making.

Wheel alignment pin.jpg

Wire wheel pilot.jpg

21 hours ago, hook said:

It looks to me like a bearing flusher/washer.

From an internet search I agree with hook that the first photo is a bearing washer  (ARO Model 640-007).  I don't know what the second photo is but I don't believe it is connected to the bearing washer.  Actually on second thoughts it probably is part of the bearing washer and is the end piece taken off.  The holes probably spread the cleaning fluid around the bearing.  Never seen one of these before.

Edited by Stude17 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, 3macboys said:

Here's one that I actually have no idea what it is or does so I will await your responses

20230310_125514 (2).jpg

20230310_125524 (2).jpg

this tool reminds me of a guy I've seen many times at Gordy's Used Car Lot in Santa Monica in the early-mid 1970s, the guy used this motor and wheel to slowly rotate the car's wheel and tire to clean the sidewall, then to cut a shallow flat groove in the sidewall, and last to paint a white stripe on the plain cheaper blackwall tires, Gordy would then raise the car's price now having whitewall tires. I worked there at Gordy's part time washing the cars on his lot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PONTIAC1953 said:

this tool reminds me of a guy I've seen many times at Gordy's Used Car Lot in Santa Monica in the early-mid 1970s, the guy used this motor and wheel to slowly rotate the car's wheel and tire to clean the sidewall, then to cut a shallow flat groove in the sidewall, and last to paint a white stripe on the plain cheaper blackwall tires, Gordy would then raise the car's price now having whitewall tires. I worked there at Gordy's part time washing the cars on his lot.

I have used one for balancing a tire assy on the car.  It spins the tire at high speed to check the whole rotation items at once.  Missing the strobe attachment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mercman from oz said:

image.jpeg.54d7415099d9b1d58f1193e383e95782.jpeg

I like those!😍 Wish I had a storage board like those for my battery tools.

Had to replace my terminal puller a couple years ago. The one I'd had since auto tech school in the 70s finally gave up the ghost. None of the FLAPS had them or even knew what I was talking about. Even NAPA had to order it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I like those!😍 Wish I had a storage board like those for my battery tools.

Had to replace my terminal puller a couple years ago. The one I'd had since auto tech school in the 70s finally gave up the ghost. None of the FLAPS had them or even knew what I was talking about. Even NAPA had to order it.

While these are cool, I have to be honest. I've had a couple of those items for years and frankly have never needed to use them. All my cars with top-post batteries have bolted clamps  (I'm not a fan of the spring ring terminals).

Back to the terminal puller (and I might have told this story before), my community college auto tech instructor saw a few of his students beating battery terminals with screwdrivers, channel-locks and hammers. He scolded us hard "Boys, BOYS!" and then got the Cornwell Tools jobber to bring enough pullers for all of us to have our own. 

They were expensive on a broke college boy budget but mine lasted 46 years. They were a tangible reminder of Mr Comer. I often wish he was still here to ask about something.

• Like 1