The identify this tool

halifaxhops

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, halifaxhops said:

Think crank old school, babbit

OK. Looks like a hand operated tool  to reclaim/true up crankshaft journals.  The Three "T" shaped pieces are the cutters for different width journals.  You can just see these cutters have small radiuses on the ends  so that they leave a suitable radius for the journal.  These cutters are held in place by the two small set screws between the small guide ears.  To operate I would suggest the tool is opened up and placed over the journal  and tightened into place by the larger of the knurled knobs and then rotated.  The cutter is then adjusted by the smaller knurled knob. Looks like there is already a cutter in place.  The knurled knob opposite the cutter is probably for more adjustment of the tool on the crank journal.  Can't find anything similar on the internet.  When completed  the babbit bearing can be "fitted" by scraping or removig shims.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stude17 said:

OK. Looks like a hand operated tool  to reclaim/true up crankshaft journals.  The Three "T" shaped pieces are the cutters for different width journals.  You can just see these cutters have small radiuses on the ends  so that they leave a suitable radius for the journal.  These cutters are held in place by the two small set screws between the small guide ears.  To operate I would suggest the tool is opened up and placed over the journal  and tightened into place by the larger of the knurled knobs and then rotated.  The cutter is then adjusted by the smaller knurled knob. Looks like there is already a cutter in place.  The knurled knob opposite the cutter is probably for more adjustment of the tool on the crank journal.  Can't find anything similar on the internet.  When completed  the babbit bearing can be "fitted" by scraping or removig shims.

Nailed it!

• Like 1

That one looks like it's been around since 1969!

Bound to think it was clumsy to use with only a wingnut to depress the lock plate. Doesn't give much leverage and sometimes lock plate springs on those columns could be tight.

35+ years ago I bought a set of these off some forgotten traveling tool sale; Homier or something like that. My lock plate tool has a hex nut to depress the yoke and these little cheap reversing ratchet wrenches were the ideal thing to keep with the lock plate tool.

68834_W3.jpgThen it took GearWrench another few years to come up with their more "refined" version, but even then they weren't reversible. That came waaaaay later.

Yup. Sometimes there's something to be said for cheap tools!😏

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rocketraider said:

That one looks like it's been around since 1969!

Bound to think it was clumsy to use with only a wingnut to depress the lock plate. Doesn't give much leverage and sometimes lock plate springs on those columns could be tight.

35+ years ago I bought a set of these off some forgotten traveling tool sale; Homier or something like that. My lock plate tool has a hex nut to depress the yoke and these little cheap reversing ratchet wrenches were the ideal thing to keep with the lock plate tool.

68834_W3.jpgThen it took GearWrench another few years to come up with their more "refined" version, but even then they weren't reversible. That came waaaaay later.

Yup. Sometimes there's something to be said for cheap tools!😏

Glenn, I've had a set of Craftsman offset ratcheting box wrenches like those (but without the color coding) for at least 35 years.

• Thanks 1

That's a screen grab off Harbor Freight website. HF does a lot of color-coding on tools, and that and BIG size markings do make it easier for old eyes to pick up the right tool the first time!

Mine are actually all bright metal finish. Not sure I remember Craftsman having them back then but that doesn't mean they didn't!☺️

These ratcheting box wrenches have their place and use. The heads on them are too big to get into tight places but they come in handy. I recently cleaned and lubed my set. Brake cleaner gets rid of the grunge and old hard grease and a drop of light oil or SuperLube synthetic grease keeps the ratchet working smoothly. I have come to like this stuff a lot.

shopping.jpeg.jpg

Y'all have heard me say before that any tool that makes a job easier is worth what it cost, even if you use it only once!

• Like 3

On 7/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, rocketraider said:

Also usable on Chrysler and AMC products since they were buying steering columns from GM-Saginaw.

I learn something all the time on this great forum, I did not know that Chrysler used the same steering columns, Thanks Glenn

My depressor plate tool does not have wing nut, it has hex nut.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...