For Sale: 1940 Pontiac Deluxe Six Silver Streak 2dr Sedan, 53K miles - $16,000 - Wentzville, MO - Not Mine

For Sale: 1940 Pontiac Deluxe Six Silver Streak 2dr Sedan, 53K miles - $16,000 - Wentzville, MO

1940 Pontiac Deluxe Silver Streak - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

For sale: 1940 Pontiac Deluxe Silver Streak, two door, six cylinder, three speed manual transmission. This car is in excellent condition for 1940, there is very little rust, the original color was black, but was painted res several years ago. It runs and drives great, has a newly rebuilt fuel pump, a new water pump, radiator hoses and fan belt. The radiator was professionally cleaned, and pressure checked. It has a new master cylinder and rebuilt wheel cylinders. The only reason I am selling is because I have too many projects and not enough room. odometer: 53450

Copy and paste in your email: d09cbe67760b3771aa59860a25e7ece9@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1940 Pontiac Deluxe Six Silver Streak 2dr Sedan.

'40 Pontiac Deluxe MO a.jpg

'40 Pontiac Deluxe MO b.jpg

'40 Pontiac Deluxe MO c.jpg

'40 Pontiac Deluxe MO d.jpg

'40 Pontiac Deluxe MO e.jpg

'40 Pontiac Deluxe MO f.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I've read somewhere motorcycle riders would put a bell under their bikes to scare off the road gremlins. Is that true?

It is true! The tradition is that you have to be gifted the bell by another. I have one on my Indian gifted me from the previous owner, or maybe he just didn't want to get down and take it off😄

15 hours ago, pont35cpe said:
15 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I think its best to have the fuel filter located between the tank and the fuel pump.

The proper placement for the filter would be between the pump and the carburetor. The seller probably doesn't know how the bend metal tubing and how to use flare fittings. Otherwise he probably would have replaced and re-routed the fuel line with new tubing and I would replace that filter with a glass bowl unit. I am no tubing expert though I have watched and am learning the technique.

I'm guessing those were still threaded sleeve fittings in 1940. Threaded sleeve fittings are no problem on the Internet, but available locally to almost no one. That probably explains a lot of the often seen butchery. You don't need a flare tool though, so there's that.

I don't recall where, but I have heard that glass filters are more prone to boiling than steel and that's why Pontiac got rid of them. Maybe it's a tall tale. Did Pontiac ever bring glass filters back? In any event this car already has a sediment bowl. See that black cover on the top of the fuel pump? There's another similar steel cover on the bottom. It's a sediment bowl.

Given a choice, I wouldn't want a filter between the tank and the pump because it increases the volume of the fuel line. How many more strokes of the pump would it take to recover from vapor lock? Hard telling if it is that big of a difference, but it is extra volume that doesn't need to be there.

Never had issues with the glass filters boiling on 3 or 4 cars of mine. I don't remember the exact reason for the fuel filter placement but Bloo is on the right track.

Just curious when you speak of the sleeve fittings are you referring double flare nut and the tube slides through the nut and then as you tighten the nut it somewhat crushes the tube? Like on the back of an oil pressure gauge or on a vacuum advance connection?

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

From my experience, filter before the pump eliminates trash in the one way check valves of the pump, which causes the pump to not operate correctly, you know, quit pumping.

And you are absolutely right. Those little check valves are so important, and get so little attention from people trying to solve fuel delivery problems. I prefer tank socks. The automakers used them for decades on carbureted cars and still do use them on in-tank pumps. With a sock, a lot of the trash keeps falling back in the tank. With a filter in the line, it all goes in the filter.

The inline filters that were intended to go with between the pump and carburetor have finer filter media than filters meant to go between the tank and pump. A fine screen like the one seen in tank socks and some sediment bowls would be a much better choice. I added an inline filter back at the tank on my first car because the tank was still shedding crud after I cleaned it out. The filter plugged constantly because all the trash that a sock would have left in the tank wound up in the filter. I got a lot of gas in my face changing it. I now consider that a mistake, and a lesson I learned early. Never is a strong word, but I'd never do it again under any ordinary circumstances.

There are some tanks you can't put a sock in because of the way the fuel pickup is arranged. On the other hand an awful lot of them, including this 40 Pontiac have a pickup, that comes out with the fuel sender. That usually makes it possible.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

13 hours ago, deac said:

Just curious when you speak of the sleeve fittings are you referring double flare nut and the tube slides through the nut and then as you tighten the nut it somewhat crushes the tube? Like on the back of an oil pressure gauge or on a vacuum advance connection?

Yes. No double flare nut though. The nuts do indeed crush the tubing a little and become part of it. There's no flare. Apparently there's no name for them other than "threaded sleeve"(?). The Australians have a name for them, and it escapes me at the moment, but it will do you no good if you happen to be talking to suppliers in North America.

I like this car. There are 3(!) different body sizes in 1940 Pontiacs. Do we know which one this is? I think this is the little one, but the differences are subtle.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I like this car. There are 3(!) different body sizes in 1940 Pontiacs. Do we know which one this is? I think this is the little one, but the differences are subtle.

This is an A-Body 1940 Pontiac Special Six Series 25 two door touring sedan.  It's the A-Body shared with the Chevrolets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Yes. No double flare nut though. The nuts do indeed crush the tubing a little and become part of it. There's no flare. Apparently there's no name for them other than "threaded sleeve"(?). The Australians have a name for them, and it escapes me at the moment, but it will do you no good if you happen to be talking to suppliers in North America.

That connection is good for vacuum lines and it is used for the oil pressure gauge as well. But I don't use it for fuel line connections!

• Like 1

Pontiac did, I don't know when they stopped. I'm guessing probably around 1950-1954? They work fine and don't have any sealing problems that I am aware of. You do have to tighten them good the first time. The biggest problems I am aware of are that basically no auto parts stores in the US stock any of the fittings, and the fact that the 90 degree fitting for 5/16 is no longer made. I'll happily adopt any 5/16" 90 degree fittings you don't need. 😛

I know of a hardware that stocks most of those fittings. But for the vacuum advance line they did refer me to a NAPA auto parts store. They had them and asked me how many did I want? I was shocked!

• Like 1