What is the wire wheel roadster in the background?

nzcarnerd

My first impression is Wills Sainte Claire. There were a couple of them in the Nickel Age Touring Club. Really neat looking cars! Low sleek roadsters with an unusual top of radiator shell. A little difficult to be sure. The ones I have seen I don't think had drum headlamps. And that stuff tied on the back of the car doesn't help any.

The two door coach (Sedan? Coupe?) in the lower right corner may be a Jewett. I can't make out the name on the radiator and the shape of the name badge doesn't look quite right. However, the radiator cap ornament looks like the flying "J" Jewett used for a couple years! And the cowl and beads look a lot like my 1927 Paige.

• Thanks 1

Jack M said "I suspect that there is nothing left of this place and is a freeway now".

That peaked my curiosity so I googled Camp Cajon (as noted on building) (and Meeker's Lunch) and found a myriad of historic photos, many taken by the same photographer of the day, Burton Frasher (Frasher Foto). The first is at a dedication in 1913, car is likely well known (White maybe?). Several refer to the California Automobile Trade Association, and some refer to the National Park to Park Tour. 2nd photo is 1923 Frasher foto of Camp Cajon, note cars scattered among trees. 3rd photo lists 1921 Buick. 4th refers to 1920 CATA gathering and a new Chalmers. 5th is to Camp Cajon Grocery (and later to add on Meeker's Lunch) (photo says 1921). 6th also shows a different view of what may be same area circa 1930's with a Lunch, Grocery, Garage etc. 7th shows highway relocation circa 1940 and Camp Cajon Admin buildings demolished. 8th as Jack M wisely surmised shows nothing left of original Camp Cajon except a monument and perhaps part of the old trail. It appears the California Automobile Trade Association was involved in supporting this operation. 

Camp Cajon California 1.jpg

Camp Cajon 1923 Frasher Foto.jpg

Camp Cajon 1921 Buick 6.jpg

Camp Cajon 1920 California Auto Trade Assoc new Chalmers.jpg

Camp Cajon Grocery (Meeker's) 1921.jpg

Camp Cajon 1920's Lunch Groceries, Garage.jpg

Camp Cajon demolished 1940.jpg

Camp Cajon area today, only a Monument.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gunsmoke said "That peaked my curiosity so I googled Camp Cajon" - If it peaked it might then have waned. You would be more likely to have had your interest piqued.

"pique my interest" vs. "peak my interest" : Pardon the Expression | Vocabulary.com

Quote from the link - "So if something piques your interest, it gets your attention in a way you just can't ignore. When your interest is piqued, you want to follow up and learn more about whatever excited you, as in these examples:...."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Camp Cajon is the Cajon pass leading from "LA" (San Bernardino actually) into the high desert. (Victorville - Barstow)

It was known and used as a mountain crossing point back into the Pre-Spanish, Pre-Mexican days as a native American trail. 

If you name the towns from east to west you will instantly recognize the US highway it was on. (. . . . Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino. . . . ) 

The Camp Cajon was the first "rest area" on any American road. 

Since the Cajon pass was the routing for anyone coming into LA, a local character got the idea to get local business and service clubs to sponsor the construction of picnic tables, shelters and other places to take a break. (with their name attached of course)  All free, all there just to invite motorists to stop and rest during their journey. This was in 1913!!  

It became a rather built up area until the great floods of 1938 washed it pretty much all away. The surviving concrete picnic tables were moved to a park in San Bernardino. In just the past year or two historical groups (Route 66 types) moved an original table from the park, back to the site of the original camp. (or as close as possible due to the routing of Interstate 15) They also have put in a interpretive sign board and encourage travelers to stop and learn about the much changed location. 

It is at the intersection of R66, I15 and the Pacific Crest Trail.  (a 3000 mile trail that you can use to hike from Mexico to Canada) 

• Like 2

Thanks nzcarnerd for piquing (and not peaking or peeking) my interest! I'm a bit of a "word policeman" myself and shudder when I see others use wrong words or incorrect spelling. On public forums we should all strive to use good "grammar" for everyone's benefit. So what is "grammar" you ask? LOL. Google tells me "grammar" is "the whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics. Sorry I asked! 

• Like 1

So, Was there a major fire in that area a few years ago?

I took a wrong turn once and I came over what I think was this pass.

It brought me to San Bernadino from the north. (I think, remember I was lost)

Drove thru some horrible recent fire damage. Maybe four or five years ago.

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

So, Was there a major fire in that area a few years ago

Yes!  The pass is a funnel and pressure fronts send air down the hill at tremendous speeds.  60 mph in some cases.  It also loses its humidity and creates the perfect situation for fire.  one small spark ignites the fire storms that you have seen on tv. 

They are called the Santa Ana winds typically happening in October. 

The Blue Cut fire. A huge cluster a few years ago had the California Highway Patrol blocked the road due to fire on both sides BUT they stopped and trapped a bunch of cars that were already on the highway. 

people were trapped in their vehicles I think there was at least one dead and some severe burns.  there was a collector car type transporter that also burned up.  the flames only covered the area for 5-10 minutes but that’s all it takes. 

the press dropped the coverage quickly, I never heard of anyone taking responsibility but I bet the insurance companies were not happy. 

2D1D17E0-2C0C-42F2-9965-96A092452151.jpeg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

We knew the winds as Santana winds or Santanas. Likely from the spanish era.

The seasonal hot winds from the northeast are Santa Ana winds in Southern California, Diablo winds in Northern California.

24 minutes ago, Grimy said:

The seasonal hot winds from the northeast are Santa Ana winds in Southern California, Diablo winds in Northern California.

They say. I was born In Mar Vista, and the usage morphed as newcomers came in. My mother said the wind coming from the direction of Santa Ana, another California town, caused the drift. All the newscasters said Santa Anna winds!

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1