My 60 Electra225 Riviera Sedan

Smartin

So I bought Marty’s 60 that he had for sale here on the board.  Not sure why.  Sometimes they just call my name 🤣

It arrived yesterday.  I started tearing into it today.  New driver front glass since I had the door panel off to fix the stuck outer door handle plunger.  Once that was done, I pulled the heater core out and dropped it off at the radiator shop for recore.  Wheels are at the tire shop to have new 8.00x15 wide whites mounted.

Besides needing a serious detail, I’m looking to do the following in the immediate future…

New exhaust system - this one is toast. 
New passenger side front glass, also broken.

Radiator flush.  Runs hot.

Floor repair, followed by carpet.

Headliner if I can find someone to make a cloth one.

Paint polish…I hit a couple small spots on it today to see how it would react.  It should brighten it up a LOT.

Extended plan:  new seat upholstery.  Maybe a trunk material overhaul.

122FE62F-7E3D-47CF-838E-D7D74BF43C36.jpeg

D40DF243-6BF9-440D-8330-79661E2895BF.jpeg

00E873EB-A33B-4036-9387-5B31653250B2.jpeg

D28C3B88-0809-4C9D-BF1E-5DAA8F1861A2.jpeg

FB3EC201-8D92-4919-B712-C0240E29FB15.jpeg

• Like 11

Congratulations, Adam!  This is an excellent project. . . . It's so much like my 2021 "barn find".  I loved the car, but the stuck engine compelled me to send it along to a new owner, who is having the engine rebuilt.

I can't wait to see yours after you have made it beautiful again.

stuck.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 2

When I took the tires and wheels to be installed, my regular shop turned me away.  Corporate told them not to install tires that they don't sell as of Jan 1.  Grrrr.  I took them to the next place (a Firestone) and they took them.  They called today and said they couldn't get the beads to set.  They're going to get the "A" team on it on Monday morning.  If not done by noon, they said to come pick them up.  You can't make this stuff up.

7 hours ago, Smartin said:

When I took the tires and wheels to be installed, my regular shop turned me away.  Corporate told them not to install tires that they don't sell as of Jan 1.  Grrrr.  I took them to the next place (a Firestone) and they took them.  They called today and said they couldn't get the beads to set.  They're going to get the "A" team on it on Monday morning.  If not done by noon, they said to come pick them up.  You can't make this stuff up.

You are not alone. First set of bias I needed mounted I ended up showing a young kid just starting at the shop how to do it.  The mechanic attempted and gave up. Walked away mumbling to his coworkers, "Don't waste your time." The young fella stepped up and asked if he could try. I said sure. I recommend you remove the valve stem valve.  He did so. I then said let me attempt first. Bang. Tire seated. He did the last three. Balanced all 4.  I said to the kid, "Thanks for not giving up." I handed him $40 as a tip as the mechanic stood there in silence. 

I worked at Goodyear for 11 years.  I have seen it all. It was nice to offer what I know when it comes to tire installation.  It was nicer to know the young fella was not going to give up. 

Back in the day we used a strap or a very thick round rubber ring that was mounted around the bead area. The ring would pop out as the tire inflated.  I have not seen the rubber ring in any shops I have visited for tire work on my daily drivers. Just an item not needed any longer. 

Many shops simply don't mess with bias ply.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Back in the day we used a strap or a very thick round rubber ring that was mounted around the bead area. The ring would pop out as the tire inflated.

Yes, my best friend's father had one in his shop.  When that wasn't enough, he also had a band that could be wrapped around the tread circumference and pulled snug.  It could then be inflated to pull in the tread further and push the beads outward.  As Chris said, removing the valve from the stem is mandatory.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Smartin said:

What brand / type of tires are you using? I'm asking because I need to replace mine soon.

Your problem with the chain stores is typical now. I found a local tire shop that does a lot of truck and agricultural, nothing bothers them. I had them mount a set of tires for a 34 chevy, they had to grind the rust off the inside of the rims to get the liners to lay down, no extra charge!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Smartin said:

Coker classic bias ply 8.00 X 15  with 2.5” whitewall …these are the ones that were on backorder for 2 years.  But they have them in stock now.

Why did you choose the bias plys over bias look radials like Diamondback Auburn?

After almost a week, I have tires mounted.  Firestone couldn’t figure out how to set the beads.  So I took them today to a mom and pop shop nearby.  I didn’t know they did these, but now I do.  They had them on and balanced in 10 minutes.  No joke.

I also cleaned and painted the hubcaps while I had them off.  Disassembled, scrubbed, painted and reassembled.  Couple hours of time that is 500% worth the effort.

98238A3E-D44A-496D-9056-511FCC858F13.jpeg

• Like 14

Very nice, Adam. Makes me miss my 4719 Electra, except for the garage/shop space it took up and it wasn't even a 225! Mine was Cordovan metallic with a white roof but I don't think the white lower body was correct for '60. Some pix below: Note my plate, and I was told by BCA members that hood springs should be green as shown here.

0001F.JPG.523a30a07f23f871d42c179b2cd8cc76.JPG0001D.JPG.c0b3877d3bf004f2bb3e120f11a8cfa6.JPG024.jpg.6339aa3818f14df309edaee2f077250c.jpg 

IMG_2305.JPG

• Like 4

You're correct about green springs.  That's a beautiful Electra!

I just got my samples back from SMS and they are on the money except the vinyl sample.  Their sample is fawn, and it should be brown.  I'm actually hoping to retain the original vinyl and only replace the cloth portions of the seat covers, though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smartin said:

Their sample is fawn, and it should be brown

Honestly, that brown should be easy to match.  I was able to match my baby blue thru a company called Big Z fabrics.  Pick several that you think are close and have them send you a sample, then pick the closest match.  You will not find any exact matches anywhere because of fade over time but, you'll get very close.

2 hours ago, Smartin said:

SMS is sending the correct brown.  I am going to go to a couple fabric stores around town and see if I can get something close.  This stuff is outrageously expensive.

Adam,

First, nice add to the collection. I love the looks of the 1960 Buick and the Duece and a Quarter is a LONG tall drink of water! For the seats and interior stuff, I use a couple of places for automotive vinyl for upholstery. Miami Corp (www.miamicorp.com), Your Auto Trim (www.yourautotrim.com) and C.A.R.S Inc.(Tri Five Chevy and Older Chevy (58-72) restoration parts - www.carsinc.com)

Miami Corp and Your Auto Trim has a ton of atuomitive and marine vinyls in many colors at a reasonable price per yard. CARS (not NJ) sells yardage of tri-five and newer materials and vinyls in correct grains and because they are GM type materials, there may be a match in colors (although not necessarily the same model year.) You'd have to possibly send a sample to them as well. 

Just some resources that I've used outside of $M$.... :) 

Good luck and feel free to get a hold of me if you have any interior build questions. I spent my last 7 years at Magna Seating - Automotive Seating Supplier. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:21 PM, JanZverina said:

Very nice, Adam. Makes me miss my 4719 Electra, except for the garage/shop space it took up and it wasn't even a 225! Mine was Cordovan metallic with a white roof but I don't think the white lower body was correct for '60. Some pix below: Note my plate, and I was told by BCA members that hood springs should be green as shown here.

0001F.JPG.523a30a07f23f871d42c179b2cd8cc76.JPG

VERY nice car, Jan.

I'm currently working on a 63 Electra Sedan that I purchased in June and I'm interested in your A/C setup.

From the photo it looks like you have the original factory setup working?

I have the original factory system in mine (not working) and I'd like to get it operational rather than switching it out if possible.

Any pointers/advice appreciated.

thanks

Mark

Any 

Hi Electra 63,

I had my '60 Electra from 2008 to 2013 and while the A/C was complete, it was not functioning and I never delved into it as far as the reason, such as a leak or recharge. The compressor wasn't frozen as far as movement. Here are some additional pix.

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

jims60buick-eng.jpg

• Like 1

Old Air Products make a Hot Gas By-pass Valve rebuild kit, which is the silver thing with the spring and the control cable going to it. That controls the temperature in the older Buick AC Sytems. It's pretty easy to rebuild. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, JanZverina said:

Hi Electra 63,

I had my '60 Electra from 2008 to 2013 and while the A/C was complete, it was not functioning and I never delved into it as far as the reason, such as a leak or recharge. The compressor wasn't frozen as far as movement. Here are some additional pix.

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

jims60buick-eng.jpg

Ok thanks Jan

I made some progress in the last week.  I actually ordered a headliner from SMS because they said those ship quickly.  We'll see how that turns out, I guess.  PLUS they are the only place that will supply a correct cloth material, and not some diamond pattern vinyl that isn't correct.  I installed the vinyl in my Roadmaster, and it's a giant PITA.

Here is current progress:  New tires are on.  Wheel covers are cleaned and painted.  New driver side glass is in.  Heater core is at the radiator shop.

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Picked up the heater core today, and while I was there, we pressure tested it with the heater control valve connected.  Of course, there was a leak between the two pieces.  That was an easy fix with an o-ring.  If it had leaked through the stem of the valve, I was going to be in trouble.

So I got it all installed this afternoon and found out that I am missing a few items.

Blower motor resistor...apparently made of unobtainium.  I ordered one for a mid 60's mustang because it has the extra single spade connector that many of them don't.  Hopefully that works until I can find one that looks right.

The rubber boot that connects the blower housing to the outer heater box is missing.  Another fun one to find.

I wanted to do a coolant flush on the engine and radiator today, but it got cold as soon as the sun was coming down...so I pulled the plug on the day.  Mid 40's tomorrow.

• Like 5

The heater control valve connection to the core can be a bugger.  Two attempts on mine.  First attempted there was a leak at the valve connection. Removed the entire assembly.  Reworked the connection. This time I hooked up the heater hoses to the assembly under the hood and ran up to temp.  No leaks.  Reinstalled the core. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:44 AM, avgwarhawk said:

The heater control valve connection to the core can be a bugger.  Two attempts on mine.  First attempted there was a leak at the valve connection. Removed the entire assembly.  Reworked the connection. This time I hooked up the heater hoses to the assembly under the hood and ran up to temp.  No leaks.  Reinstalled the core. 

Must have jinxed myself talking about heater control valves.  Drove the 60 today. Valve blowing coolant.  Valve rebuilt five years ago. Sigh....

• 2 weeks later...

Well hot damn…I got notification this afternoon that my headliner is being shipped from SMS.

Speaking of SMS, I pulled the trigger on 4 yards of seat insert fabric and a yard of that brown outer fabric.  My upholstery guy is going to see if he can save the covers by just doing the inserts.

I finally have a line on a blower resistor, rubber boot, and a correct fan and spacer.  

Still no word on exhaust.  Guy said 40 days from time of order.  Or was it 40 business days….that makes a difference.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Smartin said:

Well hot damn…I got notification this afternoon that my headliner is being shipped from SMS.

Speaking of SMS, I pulled the trigger on 4 yards of seat insert fabric and a yard of that brown outer fabric.  My upholstery guy is going to see if he can save the covers by just doing the inserts.

I finally have a line on a blower resistor, rubber boot, and a correct fan and spacer.  

Still no word on exhaust.  Guy said 40 days from time of order.  Or was it 40 business days….that makes a difference.

Where did you order the exhaust?  Waldron's?   My muffler took 8 weeks from ordering to my door.    

Seat fabric came today!!  Covers are off and already at the upholsterer's place.  He said $300 per cover.  Beats the crap out of the $800 I paid for the FRONT seat on Piggy.  I think I like this guy!  He installed a headliner for me on site last week for a 70 GS I'm working on.  And also has completely recovered a front seat for a 72 Centurion for me this week. 

• Like 6