1924 Maxwell hubcaps

Max-s Maxwell

My young son, Maxwell, was recently gifted a 1924 Maxwell from a close family friend, Mr. Maxwell. In short, Maxwell gave Maxwell a Maxwell.

The tires are shot (chunks gone from sitting deflated) and I have purchased replacements. Three of the 4 hubcaps came off easily. The fourth appears to be cross threaded. From the picture you can see others have tried to get it off and I have tried everything I can think of.

I'm at the point to where I feel I must "destroy" the hubcap in order to get the wheel off. The hubcap, in addition to being decorative, holds on the black hub that covers the 5 lug nuts underneath. No hubcap = no lug nut cover.

I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction where I might find a replacement hubcap (or 2)... and any other useful information on a 1924 Maxwell would be great also.

It's running and we want to drive it.

PXL_20221010_142844484.jpg

PXL_20221010_142851891.jpg

PXL_20221010_142838778.jpg

• Like 1

You need to get a hubcap wrench in the correct size.  Don't damage it more than you have so far.  You have a 6 sided hub cap. Just measure across the flats to get the correct size.  You should be able to get one in the $20-30 range.

Something like this is what you are looking for.  Maybe this one will work depending the distance across the flats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304347897539?hash=item46dc8c5ec3:g:aSYAAOSw-T1iADji&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLC3OlfLGusq1LfkhdeDRNkruc5b%2B36IN84eXY94cWkXlHeGxi3MUMaS%2F3lNfz6GXi4vyomhQS0KR6buVmfTIFx%2FeDU88kkbR%2FOOUF6bt5jY1f2SYFJfQguYEbyKOesvwkL1UGFv2Ncr99V2%2B%2FXh9UnauxmMTkYbvwf%2Blsy6iPGkf0OBlLvHo6AcnR91dIktGxgW4cGVnsqjoKH9AlF%2BVCU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_6bg-OhYQ

Picture 1 of 6

You should be able to clean up the one your have so it is serviceable until you find a better cap.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with applying the correct six-sided wrench above all.  It makes a big difference over a two-sided wrench.  In addition, you might apply some penetrant, WD40, PB Blaster, etc,   If you can’t find the right wrench on eBay, perhaps your local machine shop can cut you one with a water jet.  

A very careful application of some heat could help, but would be cautious to not overheat.  I would not try heat without a six-sided wrench.

To answer your question, I think these caps come up for sale on eBay from time to time; though Maxwell parts are somewhat rare.

• Like 1

A guy in my local club had wires on his Maxwell and used Houk#4 caps. These look to be very similar. Left and right-handed too so they undo by turning towards the front of the car.

The car in the club has "disappeared from sight and the member is no longer active.

Another car here in South Australia was at one stage being restored as a promotional vehicle for Maxwell Wines at McLaren Vale - it too was fitted with wires and used the Houk caps. I have no Idea if that one has ever been completed - it may be worth contacting them for information.

It might help if you can get two of the proper hub cap wrenches. IF (big if), the hub cap's hex is deep enough and the hub cap wrenches aren't too deep, put both wrenches on 180 degrees apart. Pushing and pulling on two handles will eliminate the angular torque caused by a single wrench being pulled offset. In effect, it twists the hub cap more straight causing it to bind less and often will make the cap turn and come off more easily.

Aluminum hub caps can sometimes gall and seize onto steel hubs. A straighter twist can help it to let loose.

Proper hub cap wrenches are by far the best way to go on these. The hexagon or octagon on the aluminum is better cradled in a fully surrounding wrench. The soft aluminum crushes very easily with open wrenches or any sort of jaw pliers.

Hub caps of that type are getting harder to find and get. You don't want to destroy very many of them. And the one in your picture can probably still be made fairly nice! Some people can get really good at restoring damaged hub caps. But it can be very time consuming to do. (Read that as can be expensive if you pay someone to do it!)

Someone mentioned left and right hand threads. The other three (two front and rear passenger) all turned off easily and with standard threads (righty tighty, lefty loosey as my dad used to say). Is it possible the driver's rear hub is reverse threaded? I don't want to "guess" and make things worse.

It could be cross threaded, but very unlikely it's a reverse thread. Maxwell was an inexpensive car and probably did not have that level of sophiscated engineering for a simple piece like an aluminum hubcap.  It's already been buggered by Chanel locks or vice grips so is a good candidate for replacement anyway. They are not rare so evilbay and swap meets will be your sources. Good advice has already been given to remove yours. Soak with Kroil, gentle heat and a good fitting wrench will be your best options. Let us know how it goes. Don't worry however if it's damaged in the process. A replacement isn't impossible to find. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1