1902 Curved Dash Olds with doors and running boards

190bear

I saw a curved dash olds today that had doors and different fenders. The rear fender had a short running board that went forward as far as the step plate. They were leather covered and weathered just as bad as the rest of the car which all looked super original. I got to snap one quick picture but plan on getting back there for a better look. Anybody seen or heard of that set up? It was definitely made for the car, it all fit together perfectly

IMG_2897 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Highly interesting.  Nothing in early literature to compare to but given the multiple models Olds Motor Works made at the time it is entirely possible something like this escaped the factory. I also would love to know more!!

I would, too.

But those additions could have been done in 1903 or 1904 by the original owner.   Any differences in the weathering process would not be discernable if it done when the car was only one or two years old.

Craig

It can all be done in the era of the car as stated ; possibly even when a year or so old because the owner and occupants were left out in the weather and after a year of that decided the local carriage maker, coach builder could fashion matching equipment to make the car more comfortable - yet not make the car look awkward.  Competent wagon and coach builders of assorted size and level of skill were everywhere, especially larger cities. Many coach builders were the source of coachwork for cars while the factory took care of the mechanical side of engine, chassis, steering but didn't want to invest in a whole  additional factory to build , trim etc bodies. ( Brewster, Willoughby , Walker, etc all did production runs of bodies for cars ) Heck some cars had winter and summer bodies for the chassis and one body was stored when the other was in use.

Great to see this and as all mentioned we look forward to more photographs to explore the unknown.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Walt, Is there a special name that was given to leather fenders that were stitched over wire framework? It was a left over feature used on carriages and sleighs. Not sure if Elephant Ears is the correct term for these dashboard extensions Santa left on my roof years ago. 

DSCF5356.JPG

I should be able to get back to the car in a few days when we both have more time to uncover it. The owner has several cars he says he wants to sell due to age and health. I think all are one or two cylinders including a 08 Stanley EX. I asked about pricing the Olds and he said he thought he wanted to keep that one. But then said I could make an offer as I was leaving

5 hours ago, JAK said:

1899 Crouch built in Baltimore,Md. It was found in the furnace room of the original Crouch Manufacturing Co. building.

Would like to find another early steam project if anyone knows of one. thanks, John

I believe that was once owned by Sterling Walsh?

22 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I AGREE. I am skeptical but have learned never to say never with 120 year old cars and especially CDO's which I have owned several.  As I said, nothing in any factory literature shows doors on a CDO other than a Doctor's Coupe which is an enclosed version of the CDO.  

I'd like to know if they are an actual door that opens, or a fixed in place panel, as they aren't really that tall, and appear easy enough to step over upon entering and exiting, at least in the photo.  Looking at that photo, I don't believe there is enough room for it to swing outwards.   If it does open, it would have to be like a Lamborghini Countach door that pivots upwards, paper-cutter style to clear the fender.

Craig

Beautiful car. Sterling was a good friend and a wonderful person. I have a few spark plugs in my collection from him.

Terry

• Like 1

Got back to see the Olds better with the covers off. Still crappy pictures, poor light, no room, and I'm a terrible picture taker. The doors and fenders are patent leather sewn around metal frames. The doors drop down from a pivot bolt at the upper front to open. They latch at the rear and have a catch in the middle lower of the door for support and rattle control. The car has a dos-a-dos rear seat, and Solar center dual lamps beside the usual side lamps. Tires are slick tube/tire combos that I know nothing about. It has it's Sneldon(?) plaque and a small round Illinois brass medallion on the body behind the seat that served as state plate and registation. The eighty year old owner knew about the car in grade school and ended up with it 15 years ago after the owner died. The story is Olds added the set up to about 200 cars. It really didn't help keep the mud off the occupants and made the car harder to get in and out of. Most were quickly taken off. 

IMG_2897 (2).jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 190bear said:

The doors drop down from a pivot bolt at the upper front to open. They latch at the rear and have a catch in the middle lower of the door for support and rattle control. The story is Olds added the set up to about 200 cars. It really didn't help keep the mud off the occupants and made the car harder to get in and out of. Most were quickly taken off. 

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

Hinged like a Lamborghini Countach door, except the door drops down, and doesn't raise upwards.

Craig