The Little Motor Car Company

pkhammer

I was involved in a conversation recently about brass era automobiles and the Little Motor Car Company was mentioned. I looked it up and there is very Little (pun intended!) information out there. Wiki says it was founded by William Durant along with Chevrolet when he was ousted from GM and that the company was only in business a few years. There are also photos of a handful of cars that obviously survive. What else is known about this obscure automobile? Does anyone have any photos or know of others that exist?

46 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

I was involved in a conversation recently about brass era automobiles and the Little Motor Car Company was mentioned. I looked it up and there is very Little (pun intended!) information out there. Wiki says it was founded by William Durant along with Chevrolet when he was ousted from GM and that the company was only in business a few years. There are also photos of a handful of cars that obviously survive. What else is known about this obscure automobile? Does anyone have any photos or know of others that exist?

My First Edition of The Encyclopedia of American Cars has has disappeared.  As soon as I find it, I'll look it up.

Twenty years ago or better I was driving through New Hampshire and saw a sign advertising an antique metal lathe for sale. When I stopped by to look at it there was a Little in the same barn. A small car but nearly identical to the first Chevrolet cars to be sold. A runabout with a small oval tank behind the seat, it was an attractive car albeit a little small.

30 minutes ago, TheMoneyPit said:

A small car but nearly identical to the first Chevrolet cars to be sold. A runabout with a small oval tank behind the seat, it was an attractive car albeit a little small.

Actually, the first Chevrolets sold were fairly large six cylinder powerhouse touring cars! Followed I "think" by the "Royal Mail" roadster (a four cylinder fine machine) before they went really small in about 1915.

An aside, That first six cylinder was a flathead engine! And if I recall correctly, the only Chevrolets for a very long  time that did not have overhead valves.

All that is off the top of my head.

I think I have seen two of the early sixes in museums. I never knew anybody that had one. So I don't have any first hand knowledge of their performance.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Actually, the first Chevrolets sold were fairly large six cylinder powerhouse touring cars! Followed I "think" by the "Royal Mail" roadster (a four cylinder fine machine) before they went really small in about 1915.

An aside, That first six cylinder was a flathead engine! And if I recall correctly, the only Chevrolets for a very long  time that did not have overhead valves.

All that is off the top of my head.

I think I have seen two of the early sixes in museums. I never knew anybody that had one. So I don't have any first hand knowledge of their performance.

Good point! I was comparing it to the Royal Mail not the large series.