OH CRAP!! NOW WHAT?

Terry Wiegand

I put a few miles on the car this afternoon.  It is running just perfectly.  Sure am glad to see that sight gauge wheel spinning.  I want to get quite a few more miles on it before we drive it up to McPherson.  Ed and I had quite a conversation the other day.  He put into words exactly what I have been thinking all along - these old cars are not oil tight.  They seep, drip. slobber. and ooze oil from it seems like everywhere.  My Dad always told me that if there was not any oil seeping from these old machines that I had better be finding out why.  Great advice.  We hope everyone had a wonderful Easter.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

My Dad always told me that if there was not any oil seeping from these old machines that I had better be finding out why.

They stop leaking a when they are out of oil.

Edited by nat
None whatsoever (see edit history)

I put a few miles on the car Sunday and it runs just beautifully.  I am so thankful that this problem showed up on the driveway and not going down the road at 30 - 35 miles per hour.  It could have been horrible with what could have happened internally to the engine.  As I have said before, the Good Lord looks after drunks and the less fortunate.  We are really looking forward to the McPherson College Car Show.  There will be some absolutely awesome vehicles there.  Photos will be posted on the forums.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I put a few miles on the car Sunday and it runs just beautifully.  I am so thankful that this problem showed up on the driveway and not going down the road at 30 - 35 miles per hour.  It could have been horrible with what could have happened internally to the engine.  As I have said before, the Good Lord looks after drunks and the less fortunate.  We are really looking forward to the McPherson College Car Show.  There will be some absolutely awesome vehicles there.  Photos will be posted on the forums.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

When is that show, Terry?

Glad everything worked out.

Ben

The McPherson College Car Show will be May 6th! My 3 cars will be in the student section, and I will be a part of a group of students doing tours of the shop in the morning, and will be playing in the Jazz Band in the afternoon. Last year was an amazing show and this year should be just as good or better! GM is once again bringing concept cars, and I know for sure the 1951 LeSabre will be there. I'll be making a thread in the meets and tours forum area with more details as well.

I look forward to seeing Terry and his car, and maybe anyone else who comes!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please see the posting in Pre-War Buicks about the show.  We drove the '16 up to McPherson and when we got back home there were 60 more miles on the clock.  It just ran beautifully.  Between 30 and 35 miles per hour is where this car seems really happy.  I got it up to almost 40 once on the Red Flag Tour and that really seemed like it was pushing it hard.   These old cars were just not designed to be driven that fast and then the roads back in the day weren't that great either.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 6

Terry……drive it like you stole it! 👍👍

I’m out to lunch in the 34………perfect open car weather today…..

IMG_1050.jpeg

• Like 11

Spiffy weather for George Sprowl's event in Searsmont Maine on May 6th. 

I carry tools to help those who who might need roadside assistance. 

There's nothing finer than towing a 23' with a 24'.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I wanted to let everyone know how the car is running these days.  The oil pump drive spring issue has been resolved and the engine just keeps running like a fine watch.  We all will agree that any restoration is never completely 100% finished.  The last couple of times that we drove the car I noticed that the sight gauge on the dash was seeping oil.  Tightening the sight glass ring did not help much at all.  I took the gauge apart this morning and spent about half an hour cleaning things up.  I was told about using EZ TURN fuel resistant lubricant.  The aircraft folks use this stuff a lot.  There is a down side to this stuff.  Gasoline won't touch it, kerosene won't touch it, acetone, mineral spirits, and denatured alcohol is useless on it.  I called the company to find out how to work with this stuff.  Scrub's-In-a Bucket towels work like a charm.  I got everything cleaned up and gave things a heavier application this time and set things back together.  I let the engine run for about 20 minutes on the drive to get really warmed up and it seems that I got things right this time.  There is no sign of any seepage now.  That stuff is some of the most disagreeable material to work with, but it does the job really well.  I still have a couple more things to do to the car and then its just drive the heck out of it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 8

You're in for a surprise with this stuff.  You WILL need the Scrubs-in-a-Bucket to clean yourself and everything else up.  Ask me how I know this - I learned the hard way the first time I put the gauge together.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918