FS. 1927 Franklin 11b 2door v coupe

Looks like a nice unmolested , not over lamped, not over restored car. Great if sorted well mechanically to run 40 mph all day long. Had a friend drive his from Buffalo, NY to Ca. !

It was designed by a stylist/artist that had full control over all aspects from bumper to bumper, not just design of the body, all of it. James Frank de Causse.  Someone will wind up with a really nice car if it is as good as it looks when seen in person.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Love it! I really like the treatment of the back end. It works well with the rest of the car and is pleasingly different. It just begs for a gentle recommission followed by lots of driving. Quality and more quality at a very reasonable price. 

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I may have contributed this before here or possibly in the Franklin Club publications, but this gives you an idea of the series 11 cars for pricing when new from a sales sheet issued by the factory. The information in the Dealers salesman's data book for the series ll is pretty neat as well, is way beyond the regular sales catalog that was given to prospective customers. The late Ed Madura of Ct. had a series 11 roadster that he modified/added a better oil pump and mounted in the engine pan on his car ( you couldn't see it!!) . He was an engineer who worked for Pratt & Whitney, and that car he had was incredible. I did a drive report on it for Special Interest Autos when it was owned by a good buddy of mine here on long island decades ago.

Enjoy your new series 11 Mr. Rossi.

WEG

FRANKlinseries11 pricelist001.jpg

• Like 1

Why would the muffler have exploded with such violence?  Was the tailpipe blocked and combustion had no where else to go?  Was the timing off and it just backfired?

That picture was never meant to be posted, those pictures were taken 5to 7 years ago, and were the only pictures of the car on my phone.
However,

While trying to bring the car back to life, somehow raw gas collected in the muffler, so when it finally started it started with a boom, and my ears were ringing.   Luckily the seam of the muffler was pointed down, and it blew along the seam.  Fast forward 5-7 years and the car start, runs, drives, and stop fine.  Just like a 1927 car should.

These pictures were taken a couple days ago 

7E14C531-B0C6-4361-935F-5DA0C3E2067E.jpeg

2C00F503-F08D-4103-B69A-693EE112C298.jpeg

2B6FDDC4-F857-4A46-9935-536F0D1AE39F.jpeg

• Like 2

The exploded muffler photo is nothing unusual, and I personally would not worry about it. Regardless of when etc.

The outer shell looks like common heater flue pipe, and was a common "fix" in the hobby for mufflers of that era as it just happened to be a nearly perfect fit. I can't offhand recall ever using the stuff for a muffler myself, way too thin and the crimped seam is nowhere near strong enough! But I knew a lot of people, including good friends that used it that way many times. People today have forgotten what carbureted cars were like. The fuel mixture wasn't truly consistent, and even in well adjusted cars excess fuel occasionally would build up in the exhaust system. Often, that would result in a resounding kaboom! A properly built muffler would usually contain the minor explosion. However, those thin poorly crimped flue shells would blow wide open at the first provocation. Heard a dozen of them years ago. Seen many more after the fact. 

In the photo, I can see that is what it is. It is a minor sorting item at the worst. Likely just a decent outer shell (which I gather has already been replaced?) and minor timing and carburetor adjustments.

Many years ago, even a very good friend of mine who was quite anal about tuning his cars perfectly, had to blow up three cheap flue shells before he let me make him a real steel muffler shell! His cars always ran so sweet! Always started quickly and idled as slow and sweet as any car you ever saw. He drove his car a lot, and about once a year he would blow the muffler wide open. Until I made a good shell for him.

Thanks for the update on the muffler, Slack!  I have been watching the Franklin market for a year or two now, but need to sell my house first (It's on the market now). I like the dark green!  I'm fairly tall at 6'3" or more depending on shoes, so I wonder how well I would fit?  Does the seat adjust?  Thanks!  Greg