1960 Meteor Montcalm convertible Canadian only built. Not mine

I'm not a fan of the color red on big cars, but it's a cool Meteor nevertheless. The different color top helps, though I agree that white would've been even better. Would this Canadian car have been available with a 390 in 1960? I didn't think that Ford offered them in the US that year. Nice car.

352 was the largest, iirc. Red was the color of the convertible in the 1960 Meteor catalog illustration.

The white vs black top is a toss up.. especially with black interior.

Those ghastly wheels & tires, and the JC Whitney fender skirts really detract... and are those Meteor fender tips? I thought they had the round bullseye like Fords.

• Like 2

When I first saw a 1960 Meteor Montcalm during our 1962 family trip to the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, I was amazed that Ford would allow what looked like a raked version of the Lincoln Continental "boxed-star" as a highlight feature of the side trim. 

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/22/2022 at 2:51 AM, JamesR said:

I'm not a fan of the color red on big cars, but it's a cool Meteor nevertheless. The different color top helps, though I agree that white would've been even better. Would this Canadian car have been available with a 390 in 1960? I didn't think that Ford offered them in the US that year. Nice car.

So it's still for sale, and they've got it listed as a 390 still. 390 wasn't available until 1961 so either it's labelled wrong, or the drive train has been replaced. And if the latter, that's a lot of cash for non original

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/574769524853971/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_general&referral_story_type=general&tracking={"qid"%3A"-3477780563288044173"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"62131505109557316"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{\"target_id\"%3A62131505109557316%2C\"target_type\"%3A6%2C\"primary_position\"%3A5%2C\"ranking_signature\"%3A5826203637596028928%2C\"commerce_channel\"%3A501%2C\"value\"%3A0.00046106428300273%2C\"upsell_type\"%3A220%2C\"candidate_retrieval_source_map\"%3A{\"6110546999035434\"%3A3002%2C\"6798336676895684\"%3A3528%2C\"9830973630308061\"%3A3001%2C\"7209688309055048\"%3A3021}%2C\"grouping_info\"%3Anull}"%2C"lightning_feed_qid"%3A"-3477780769289925463"%2C"lightning_feed_ranking_signature"%3A"2200570371491495936"%2C"ftmd_400706"%3A"111112l"}

21 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Looks like a 1960 Ford with excessive side trim and Mercury Tail Lights?

I agree, in my opinion it needs a white top

This is a Oakville Ontario built Meteor for the Canadian and export market. The chrome spears and trim are correct as is the grill. Very rare indeed. I have not personally inspected as it's out of my price range. Nevertheless it's a great looking very, very rare Ford of Canada product.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

This is a Oakville Ontario built Meteor for the Canadian and export market. The chrome spears and trim are correct as is the grill. Very rare indeed. I have not personally inspected as it's out of my price range. Nevertheless it's a great looking very, very rare Ford of Canada product.

Thanks @Ed Luddy,

Yes I understand, and actually have driven a 1960 Meteor-

I'm just suggesting that the Meteor, rather than being based on the US version of a Mercury,

appears more a face-lifted Ford - still a neat car, and one I'd be proud to drive.

Sorry you weren't able to visit while we drove the Founders Tour (also our 2nd London-to-Brighton) in July.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I'm just suggesting that the Meteor, rather than being based on the US version of a Mercury,

appears more a face-lifted Ford

Originally the Canadian Mercury was a Monarch, the Canadian Ford was the Meteor.  This to give an upper or lower price car at the opposite dealer.  

It worked until the 1958 Edsel came out and everything was confused. (“Where did Edsel fit into this market structure?”) 

FoMoCo then launched a midsize car at American Mercury dealers in 1962 called Meteor. So no full size Meteors in Canada. 

A huge mishmash of name and model swapping leading to the middle 60s when the Meteor settled into being an American Mercury with a Ford dashboard and appropriate trim changes. This lasted until the auto-pact meant that new cars could cross the US-Canadian border without taxes and the need for Canadian cars evaporated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 12:39 AM, Marty Roth said:

Thanks @Ed Luddy,

Yes I understand, and actually have driven a 1960 Meteor-

appears more a face-lifted Ford - still a neat car, and one I'd be proud to drive.

Sorry you weren't able to visit while we drove the Founders Tour (also our 2nd London-to-Brighton) in July.

Yes Marty,  face lifted Ford is an accurate description. I was away during the tour, so sorry I missed it!

• Like 1

Is there a resource online that would help those looking at FoMoCo cars of this era determine if a vehicle is original? Specifically if it's Canadian? I'm in the area that this car is next weekend so going to see if it's worth the coin or not.

@Ed Luddy I would have asked directly but I don't have permission as of yet.

Edited by canadiancreed (see edit history)
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, canadiancreed said:

Is there a resource online that would help those looking at FoMoCo cars of this era determine if a vehicle is original? Specifically if it's Canadian?

Hummmmm……define “original”. 
Ford cars are pretty basic and consistent mechanically.

Does it have the exact engine that it was built with? There are no VINs on the mechanical parts back then so nothing can be proven. 
Was it modified? (The images have disappeared, but I thought it had some changes-wheels maybe?) for this you need experience with Fords of this era. 
Unlike with Corvettes, Shelbys and other highly documented cars nobody has put together any publications or databases that identify the tiny details for American versions much less the Canadian variants. 

The choice is to study existing cars and make yourself an expert (kinda a lifetime investment) or link up with someone who does have a lifetime of experience that you can tap into. 

21 hours ago, m-mman said:

Hummmmm……define “original”. 
Ford cars are pretty basic and consistent mechanically.

Does it have the exact engine that it was built with? There are no VINs on the mechanical parts back then so nothing can be proven. 
Was it modified? (The images have disappeared, but I thought it had some changes-wheels maybe?) for this you need experience with Fords of this era. 
Unlike with Corvettes, Shelbys and other highly documented cars nobody has put together any publications or databases that identify the tiny details for American versions much less the Canadian variants. 

The choice is to study existing cars and make yourself an expert (kinda a lifetime investment) or link up with someone who does have a lifetime of experience that you can tap into. 

WEll for me it'd be looking as much as possible the way it did coming out of the factory. Same drive train. Same paint colour. Same interior. That sort of thing. And ya finding details for American cars is easier, but it seems Canadian ones are a lot of tribal knowledge, hence why I came here :D For older cars, especially pre WWII, ya finding original you're probably looking at a museum, but a 1960 should have semi-decent odds?

11 hours ago, canadiancreed said:

WEll for me it'd be looking as much as possible the way it did coming out of the factory. Same drive train. Same paint colour. Same interior. That sort of thing. And ya finding details for American cars is easier, but it seems Canadian ones are a lot of tribal knowledge, hence why I came here :D For older cars, especially pre WWII, ya finding original you're probably looking at a museum, but a 1960 should have semi-decent odds?

1st thing to look at it is the trim tag for the Oakville Ontario plant codes. Then you need to decode from that. Easy enough as there are a few websites dedicated to the Canuck cars. This one seems to have lots of knowledgeable folks who can help

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107235082656219/

No cost to join!

• Like 1

The 1960 Meteor is a very rare car. Seldom seen even years ago. As a past owner of a 1950 Meteor, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1961, 1964 Meteors I've never even sat in a 1960. The other years were very plentiful and relatively cheap to buy when I was a teenage back in the early 70's.

1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

1st thing to look at it is the trim tag for the Oakville Ontario plant codes. Then you need to decode from that. Easy enough as there are a few websites dedicated to the Canuck cars. This one seems to have lots of knowledgeable folks who can help

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107235082656219/

No cost to join!

Do you have the group name? It's coming up as a dead link

2 hours ago, canadiancreed said:

Still not accessible. Like I see it on google, but it won't give me the option to see the group, much less join

It is a Facebook group. Do you have a Facebook account? 

The most interesting Meteor was 1954. 

The 1954 American Ford introduced the overhead valve V-8 and ball joint suspension. 

The 54 Meteor kept the flathead and king pins for another year. BUT they did offer the transparent top "Skyliner", so a 54 Skyliner with a flathead. Interesting cars in Great White North. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, m-mman said:

It is a Facebook group. Do you have a Facebook account? 

I do, which is why it's strange that I can't access it. Maybe it's a private group? Not sure.

13 hours ago, m-mman said:

The most interesting Meteor was 1954. 

The 1954 American Ford introduced the overhead valve V-8 and ball joint suspension. 

The 54 Meteor kept the flathead and king pins for another year. BUT they did offer the transparent top "Skyliner", so a 54 Skyliner with a flathead. Interesting cars in Great White North. 

We' were differnet back then. Wish I could remember where I saw an advert for a '54 ro '55 Skyliner semi recently. Have a '51 maroon convertible on my short list that's been for sale all summer. Nice condition. The owners are a challenge to work with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, theconvertibleguy said:

Yes FB and kijiji, home of the scammers!   This is a legitimate car and seller I'm thinking. But rare as it is $40,000 is too much. Seems the rest of the buyers feel the same. It's under an hour from me, but until it hits $29,000 I'm not going to look. Maybe I'm too cheap, but so is everyone else so far!

8 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Yes FB and kijiji, home of the scammers!   This is a legitimate car and seller I'm thinking. But rare as it is $40,000 is too much. Seems the rest of the buyers feel the same. It's under an hour from me, but until it hits $29,000 I'm not going to look. Maybe I'm too cheap, but so is everyone else so far!

I hear that regarding FB and kijiji. Sadly that just leaves autotrader and hemmings, which price wise is painful.

As it's been on the market for over a year, I agree. Also the unoriginal power plant doesn't hurt either (unless I missed some rare option)

For reference, there's a '63 Galaxie near that location for sale for 35k that's original and optioned to the nines that IMO would be a better deal.

Edited by theconvertibleguy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just now, theconvertibleguy said:

I hear that regarding FB and kijiji. Sadly that just leaves autotrader and hemmings, which price wise is painful.

As it's been on the market for over a year, I agree. Also the unoriginal power plant doesn't hurt either (unless I missed some rare option)

For reference, there's a Galaxie near that location for sale for 35k that's original and optioned to the nines that IMO would be a better deal.

A 60 Galaxie? Please post the link!