Fitting new tires into side mount fender wells

Mark Huston

I need to purchase new 6:50 X 19 tires for my 1929 Studebaker FE President Brougham.  After about 22 years I have finally worn out my current set of tires.  When I purchased the current set of white wall tires (Lester's) I had issues with the new Lester's not fitting in the side mount fenders wells.  I solved the problem by using the 1960's vintage new old stock Lester tires that came with the Studebaker when I bought it.   I don't want to use Lester's or white wall tires, again.   I have had it with the issue of these modern white wall tires never staying white and always having a yellow/brown tint to them despite all of the work and supplies that are required to try and keep them white.   My next set of tires will be black wall.

Now my question to those of you who have dealt with the issue of buying tires that correctly fit in the side mount fenders.   What vintage tire brand most correctly matches the size of the tire that our cars had when new?    My Studebaker left the factory, in 1929, with Firestone 6:50 X 19 size tires.   When I buy 6:50 X 19 tires today they don't fit into the side mount fender wells like they did when the car was new.   

While shopping the various vintage car tire dealers this past week I have been told to buy a smaller size tire, such as a 5:00/5:50 X 19, or to place my spare tires in the side mount fenders with the tires deflated and then inflate the tires with air when needed.  I don't want to run undersize tires on a large heavy car nor do I want to drive around with spare tires with out air in them which defeats the purpose of having spare tires.   

What is the solution?  What are other car owners with side mount fenders doing to get tires that fit into the side mount fenders?   Does anyone have an alternative to running undersize tires or having spare tires without air?

IMG_6929.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Mark

I've found the Firestone tires are always a little larger diameter tire.  I like them and I run Firestones on all four of my cars.

I had the same thing with my Model "A" Fords.  I install the side mount with about 15 lbs of air, snug up the lugs and the plate, then add more air until the tire is tight in the well.

I can't get the side mount spare to the recommended 35 pounds, but it settles in and tightens up around 28.  I carry a foot pedal pump with me in case a roadside swap is necessary.

Thankfully, I've never had a flat in any of my vintage cars yet, so I've been fortunate.

Your Studebaker is beautiful!

• Like 2

You have already hit on the two solutions. The tires are too big, probably because the molds aren't really prewar molds, they are whatever still existed when someone got around to making repro tires, or they are new molds. They might not even be carrying the size marking they did originally in some cases. Everybody complains about it, and nobody has a good answer. This is in no way limited to 19" tires. I vote for getting a size too small for the two spares. They're just spares. Put a bunch of air in them. That won't fly for show in some clubs, as the tires in the sidemounts have to be marked the correct size. It beats carrying around a bunch of flat tires in my opinion.

• Like 3

Here is what I would do:   Save the best looking old pair of tires for the fender wells.    You may never need them, but they fit.

I would not go to black wall tires, even as a last resort.   My white wall spare on the rear of my car is a size smaller because it fits

in the tire cover.  When we had a flat on a tour in Maine, I used the spare only until I got the flat fixed, then switshed back.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spill check (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The answer is easy……..all the choices suck. 

I have installed no less than 25 sets of tires on our own cars in the last five years. All the cars but one have dual side mounts, the exception is the Auburn speedster. Depending on if you are running side mount covers your options are:

With covers:

Run a smaller tire inside the cover, and it’s probably going to be inflated to ten or fifteen pounds so you don’t tear the cover apart.

Without a cover……..carefully jam an identical size tire in the well, and inflate to ten pounds. Also be sure NOT to go oversize on the tires if you have side mounts. 

I won’t use spares on 100 point cars with  covers……they suck to deal with. You will need to do paint work if you take covers on and off. 

What is the best option? 

Rear mounted spare………………..I don’t like them and won’t own a CCCA Classic without dual side mounts. 

I actually have spare wheels for all the cars in our collection as well as my personal collection. We take them along on tours and have them in the trailer at the hotel. Many tours have trouble trucks, so I toss the guy some cash and have him carry my spare with him………that way there is a floor jack as well.

The good news, in the last 25k miles, only had two flats while on the road…….and a bunch in the shop or trailer. Also, tubes today are trash………never assume the tube is good until 3 months or 500 miles. On the very serious tour cars, I make modern wheels……..IE replace snap rings with drop centers. It’s expensive, and worth every penny.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

FYI- for years tire companies used the same size mold and just changed the numbers on the side of the tire……..thus the cars that really needed the half size would suffer an undersized or oversized problem. It was more prominent in the 70’s and 80’s. Seems most tires today run “large”. It might be my imagination but white walls seem to be wider for the same size than black walls. For all our stuff 1929-1938 we run Firestone except on the Auburn. I see lots more defects and problems with the actual tires the last five years. And with the company having changed hands, supply is still an issue. I was told two years minimum for 650-16 black walls last week. And 700-16 are out of stock for over a year, and due in November………which really means a year from now. Word of warning………..inventory extra tires or entire sets if you drive. This year at Pebble tire rules were relaxed as there was no supply for most of the cars. Tire availability is going to be an issue from now on. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 3:33 PM, prewarnut said:

I wonder, has anyone bothered to source from one of the European suppliers (who can supply in inches)? I wonder if their attention to detail is perhaps different from the current offerings here. Of course price with shipping may be a different matter....

A number of people have been giving good reviews of Blockley Tires in England. They have some sizes in American inches, as well as a few sizes in metric that translate well to American sizes. The Model T crowd so far is very happy with the model T sizes. There have been attempts to set up an American distributor, but no success yet. Dealing with Blockley directly has been surprisingly easy (once you get the time difference sorted out!). Either directly on the phone, or by email, they are friendly and efficient. Shipping of course costs more due to the distance, however was faster than most things I buy from companies here! I bought a bunch of inner tubes from them earlier this year, and had them in my garage in less than a week! Tires seem to take only a couple days longer.

Look at their tires. Some of them have sort of a cross hatch tread pattern that some people think looks a bit aggressive. Other people really like it and it is very similar to a major tire company tread used in America during the 1920s, so is somewhat authentic looking to some of us.

I don't know how well their sizes will fit into wheel wells?