for sale: 1951 LINCOLN W/SUICIDE DOORS - $7,000 (whitehall)

not mine - project car

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-granville-1951-lincoln-suicide/7518640685.html

This is a solid car, runs and drives smooth, tight steering, frame has no rust, replaced front floor metal, back seat floor and trunk floor are solid. It has a new gas tank and sending unit, new brake shoes, new wheel cylinders, new brake lines and new master cylinder. I replaced the water pump and voltage regulator and had the generator rebuilt. The car needs a total interior remodel but can be driven like it is. The car is 100% original, no parts missing. This could be a great winter project. Come on up and give it a spin around the block, you'll love it. Phone only please, I will not open emails 518-49nine-two386 ask for john  (few more pics in ad)

xxxxx0100Q0Q_9mSKdczNvShz_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

xxxxx0200p0p_5PYg0ylMsJRz_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

xxxxx0300k0k_kjg0of4xAziz_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

xxxxx04.jpg

xxxxx0500E0E_5XV1GfFrYR0z_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

xxxxx0600S0S_lW9UiUPM0Zz_0uY0hq_50x50c.jpg

xxxxx0700B0B_zLEhOZId77z_0uY0hq_600x450.jpg

xxxxx0900m0m_7unemZzVWdGz_0uY0hq_600x450.jpg

xxxxx0801111_e6ZqyhBJKMOz_0uY0hq_600x450.jpg

What is this mouth-breather obsession with "suicide" doors (i.e., rear-hinged or front-opening)?  "Suicide doors" has been a slang term as far back as I can remember (even before this car was built) but I fail to understand that this is a sales feature that would make anyone want to buy such a car:  "WOW, look at me, my car has s-u-i-c-i-d-e doors!"  End of rant for now.  Next week's rant will be on people who spell "gauge" "goo-ajj" (guage).

Edited by Grimy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

My Dad had a '63 Lincoln sedan and I had a '66. As rear doors, they allow the passenger to step out of the compartment, especially if there was a "driver" to open the door. They make the rear seat very easy to enter and exit. Lincoln recently built a few "coach door" equipped Continentals, now with better safety systems. There were several vintage cars form the 30's that had reverse hinged front doors. If they were to open accidentally when rounding a corner, the passenger would stand a good chance of being ejected from the vehicle., especially since cars weren't equipped with seat belts at the time. I recall reading a story in a hot rod magazine where this occurred at a Good Guys show, where the unrestrained front passenger, the driver's Wife, was thrown from the vehicle and sustained fatal injuries. There was also a "suicide" front axle mount used on early hot rods and the "suicide" foot clutch used on early Harley choppers. 

The car resembles it's brother the Mercury, but it has a curious sad look to the front end. I read that these were referred to as "water buffalos" by their detractors back in the Day. It looks pretty good to me, especially since the profile matches the Merc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grimy said:

Next week's rant will be on people who spell "gauge" "goo-ajj" (guage).

Sign me up. Now "gage" (which already was a word having nothing to do with instruments) is "acceptable" to dumb down the standard for spelling.

I'll brake off hear, its thyme too goe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If you go to the CL listing there are more photos. My favorite is the "door card" made of green spray painted cardboard. Even so, at the right price and close to home, I'd be tempted. 

• 5 months later...

Still Available, Price Reduced to $4,700: 2-4-2023:

1951 LINCOLIN WITH SUICIDE DOORS - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

This car runs great, it has the flat head 8-cylinder engine, looks good and drives like a dream. Very solid frame has new brake lines, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and master cylinder, new water pump, generator and voltage regulator, new gas tank and sender unit. The interior needs rebuilding but is but is still O.K. to drive just the way it is, the floors are solid, and everything works, the tires are great, all lights work, she's ready to go down the road and could be driven every day. Come on over and give her a spin, you'll love it. odometer: 48588
Contact: Phone only,I will not do emails (518) 4-nine-9-2-three-8-6

Pretty significant price drop!  If I were a little closer, I would take a look in person.  Door jambs indicate it used to be dark green.  

• Like 1

This car has been for sale for quite a while. I'm tempted, but those damn ugly sunken headlights have always turned me off. It's priced right though, and I could probably drive it home. Albany is less than two hours from here. 

I recall someone once offering a car with "seaside" doors. Of course, that makes no sense, but it was probably what he thought people were saying when they said "suicide". I, also, recall someone calling them "kissing doors". I can't imagine what the source was for that name.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:11 AM, DrumBob said:

I'm tempted, but those damn ugly sunken headlights have always turned me off

The sunken (or frenched?) headlights were a product of the bean counters.  

The new postwar Lincoln was originally planned to have hidden headlights, 1942 DeSoto style. 

It was Almost into production when somebody nixed them as too expensive. However the buckets and bulbs were already mounted way back from the sheet metal. The solution was a headlight trim that resembled a pipe.  

Certainly controversial on the Lincoln but it did inspire a million copies on the customs of the 40s & 50s. 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2023 at 1:10 PM, m-mman said:

The sunken (or frenched?) headlights were a product of the bean counters.  

The new postwar Lincoln was originally planned to have hidden headlights, 1942 DeSoto style. 

It was Almost into production when somebody nixed them as too expensive. However the buckets and bulbs were already mounted way back from the sheet metal. The solution was a headlight trim that resembled a pipe.  

Certainly controversial on the Lincoln but it did inspire a million copies on the customs of the 40s & 50s. 

Those headlights always made me think the car had optical problems. It needed to see an eye doctor. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 4:59 PM, JBP said:

That has to be the bleakest looking car that Lincoln ever designed; makes the bathtub Packards look sporty and sleek by comparison. 

I have to agree. I much prefer the restyle they did right after these Godforsaken bathtubs. At $4700, it almost tempted me for a couple of minutes, then I said, "Nah!" You could probably grab it for $4000 at this point. The seller can't seem to give it away. He probably just wants it gone.