Los Angeles water company 1909(?) collection of early cars

m-mman

I could have put this in the photo section but I thought it might do well here. 

My local museum had a book discussion today about the LA aqueduct and brought out some old pictures.  Supposedly this is an assemblage of the Los Angeles water company in 1909.  The autos seem correct for that time period. It is unusual to find pictures of so many early cars in one place at the same time.  

The original caption said "William Mullholland is in the Stetson" . . . . 

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

28 Chrysler you are correct it is a Franklin and most likely the 4 cylinder model G, Franklin's  largest car was a model H and it was a 6 cylinder and had a really long hood compared tot he car in the photo. A man named Ralph Hamilin would become the California distributor/dealer of Franklin carts as was heavily involved in the LA area in the organization of the custom body Salons held each year all through the 1920s until their demise in 1931.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, m-mman said:

Additional close ups

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

Hard to tell which person is William Mullholland. My guess would be the driver in the car nto the left of the Franklin. Nicest looking newer hat.

IMG_5398.jpg.cbe1c5bbf74da37e36719df0d74b191c.jpg.e50ee59157e4fca78e5b032982b92388.jpg

Stetson was a hat manufacturer and made many styles. I have a 1940s Stetson "Imperial" and a 1940s Stetson "Open Road". Lovely well made hats that not all look like cowboy styles.

The picture does capture a moment in time as the world changed from horses to horsepower. 

The transition from motors being under seat to under hood is evident. 

I have never before seen an in depth historical study of the transition in industry.  

Example: this was just before the start of construction on the engineering marvel of the day, the LA aqueduct. (Finished 1913). Huge heavy pipe they tried to move by machine.  Turns out mules were more effective in the rugged environment.  They gave up on the machines.  

In the photo, the many different brands of early cars, do you think that they were purchased new or used?  
We know that pre-T cars were expensive. Were there enough wealthy people that bought one, played with it then sold it moving on to something else, that gave the used market enough affordable cars for industry to buy? 
Or was production small enough that the city basically bought the inventory of most every dealer as it became available?

Or was there a plan to buy from many different manufacturers because nobody knew who made the most reliable vehicle?

I have never seen this discussed before. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

3 hours ago, HarryLime said:

Mulholland is in the right front seat of the Studebaker

Yes. Brilliant self taught engineer, but hated pomp and public speaking.  Probably very happy to show up and let someone else give the speech. 

The car to the far left with the man in the passenger seat is a Tourist.  The car to the right of the barrel hooded Franklin is a Stoddard Dayton.  The car in the very center of the photograph is a Packard.  The car in front of the Packard and to the left of the Franklin may be a Mitchell.   The script on the front of the radiator top tank is visible, but I can't read it.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:18 PM, modela28 said:

The car to the far left with the man in the passenger seat is a Tourist.

Wow, a native Los Angeles built car  😊