multiple spark plugs

31 LaSalle

while visiting a classic car show many years ago

I saw an American fire engine  with two v8 engines both with sixteen plugs

one engine in the back to drive the water pump

from memory I think it was pierce arrow but I could be wrong

what would the purpose of two plug per cylinder be.

I had a 1920 American LaFrance pumper with 3 spark plugs per cylinder. 2 each off of the distributor (for key start) and 1 each of of the magneto (for crank start). I believe it was to be able to ignite all the vapor at once. The cylinders were very large and cubic inch was well over 800.

Edited by ALF1920 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My 1989 Suzuki DR650 single cylinder motorcycle was equipped with dual spark plugs to make it more environmentally friendly and increase output power.  In some instances dual plugs are redundancy for safety. 

Modern engines have used dual plugs for more complete combustion, either for emissions or increased power. Chrysler Hemi motors are a classic example. As noted above, other applications (aircraft, for example) use dual plugs and whole ignition systems for redundancy.

5b78a15884d8ecd92b4370b3de2ad1ba.jpg

• Like 1

Airplanes and fire engines used dual ignition for reliability. Two completely separate ignition systems meant the engine would continue to run even if one was disabled. Not just the spark plugs but the whole ignition system was duplicated.

Some early luxury cars had dual ignition, battery for starting and magneto for high speed. That was because the early type of battery ignition made a good spark at low speed but got weaker as it sped up. While the magneto made a weak spark at low speed and got stronger as it sped up.

Ford Model T had the trembler spark ignition, it was only good up to 2000 rpm or so but that is as fast as a Ford would go anyway.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Airplanes and fire engines used dual ignition for reliability. Two completely separate ignition systems meant the engine would continue to run even if one was disabled. Not just the spark plugs but the whole ignition system was duplicated. 

Absolutely right !

Dad was a career firefighter,

and the reason for Dual Ignition?

the keyword is  REDUNDANCY  !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

16 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

while visiting a classic car show many years ago

I saw an American fire engine  with two v8 engines both with sixteen plugs

one engine in the back to drive the water pump

from memory I think it was pierce arrow but I could be wrong

what would the purpose of two plug per cylinder be.

There are three answers, one is from a fire truck/airplane perspective, they can't afford a ignition failure, Two, race cars used them because the engine will make more power through more complete combustion. Three some late model cars from the 80's to today use them because of the more complete combustion and cleaner emissions, especially in the area of NOX emissions. 

• Thanks 1

Slightly off-topic, but setting Dual Points can also be a fun way to spend part of your Saturday morning, waiting for the coffee to brew ...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have a vivid memory of riding a single engine airplane. Switching on the second magneto brought 200 more rpm instantly, same throttle setting. There’s something to the time the flame front takes to progress from the spark. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Slightly off-topic, but setting Dual Points can also be a fun way to spend part of your Saturday morning, waiting for the coffee to brew ...

If you can do that BEFORE drinking coffee, my hat's off to you. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2