BUICK - New name and badge for EV's

That is not a bad looking concept.

One leap GM never seems to take is a bolder approach with their color palette.  Far too many sedate charcoals, dark blues, dark maroons, silver grays, tans, etc.   They don't seem to have a problem coming up with bold new body designs which could attract a younger more affluent buyer but, no matter how sporty looking, they tend to present them in sedate hues more suited to your grandfather's Cadillac.

I felt they missed an opportunity in the 1990's when minivans were all the rage.  I liked the bold new styling of the Oldsmobile Silhouette (Chevy Lumina) when compared to the other mini vans out there and finally decided to buy one new.   Loved everything about it except for the dull color choices available.  I settled for Silver.  I thought, at that time, if they'd busted out with some really bright, inspiring colors, much like Chrysler Corp. did back in the late 60's/early 70's with their luminescent lime greens, brilliant yellows, oranges and even bright metallic purples, many buyers might not have felt so much like a soccer mom when driving one.  Instead GM offered the standard somber executive colors so their bold new body style didn't get the chance to really become what it might have.  Instead it garnered the moniker "Dust Buster" after a while, and it stuck. 

Ferrari gets it; bold body style always needs a bold color, period.

GM even misses it with their flagship sports car the Corvette, generally speaking.   With a few exceptions, here and there, over the years most of the Corvette colors would look right at home on a full sized Oldsmobile.  Remember the lovely "Band-Aid Beige in the late 70's?

Picture the car above painted Iridescent Yellow or perhaps Competition Orange,  Electric Blue or any other equally assertive colors and  I think it would send a whole different message and appeal to a whole new crowd.

bandaid.jpg.df17e02ad92d7b5ad7900f524fe9b33f.jpgbandaid3.jpg.7acee34371067eebc7e17d821fd1b595.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

It's better than what Oldsmobile came up with when it was going through its parentally-induced personality crisis in the 90s.

Agreed on those depressing color choices. I've long felt the mood of the country is affected by dull, drab colors and interiors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

GM...They don't seem to have a problem coming up with bold new body designs which could attract a younger more affluent buyer but, no matter how sporty looking, they tend to present them in sedate hues more suited to your grandfather's Cadillac.

I agree that color choices today are very poor--probably the

worst they have been in 80 or 90 years, since the drab deprivation

of the 1930's.

Greg, "your grandfather's Cadillac" had plenty of expressive colors!

At least 20 colors, plus many more combinations from vinyl roofs or

contrasting paint;  at least 9 different colors of leather, etc.

But your mini-van, or more recent cars, had choices which you

never knew about!  I interviewed Bob Lutz, and he said when

he was Vice Chairman of GM, you could indeed get custom

paint colors.  (He didn't know whether the program existed today.)

That greatly expansive possibility must have been very little known,

because even the sales manager of my local Chevy dealership

didn't know about it.

Odd man out, I think that thing looks pretty neat! Colour? Dont really care, but this is coming from someone with white, grey and black cars! My wife cant stand silver or grey so I figure I am off the hook for buying her a new car, LOL.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If this is some type of Rorschach Test, I see three rubber bands, guess that would help get you to the recharger once the battery was drained. 

AAXXWNl.img?h=768&w=1080&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

All the years that the internal combustion engine has been around I still see A.H.'s walking down the road with a gas can, so I guess there is always going to be someone who will push things to the limit. So is the cars fault that battery is dead or the operators fault that they ran the car until it was dead? No different then someone running a car out of gas. By they way who travels with a gas can in their trunk anyway? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

My wife cant stand silver or grey so I figure I am off the hook for buying her a new car, LOL.

I didn't really mind shades of gray until they became

so dominant in the market.  I bought a 1957 Buick

years ago (dawn gray and antique ivory paint) before

gray was everywhere.  I still like Buick's multi-color

treatment that included that slightly lavender-laden gray:

1957 Buick-mine (8).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

That 57 has enough bright trim to set off the colors and keep the car from looking boring or, worse, cheap like most new monochromes. Also notice the red accent in the Sweepspear trim and on the wheels. Details are what wakes up a vehicle's appearance.

• Like 1

Our Suburban, Excursion, and Grand Marquis are white, helping to reduce the load on Air-Conditioning during most of the year. Darker colors absorb more heat and become harder to cool. Our '54 Caddy is Dover Grey which most folks consider white. The '41 Caddy is yellow (Sequoiah Cream if it were a Buick) with a light tan canvas top. While Fiorello, the '37 Roadmaster Phaeton (Convertible Sedan) is black, his top is white canvas which does help. Our dear departed '05 Sebring convertible was metallic Claret, and of course our little (red) Corvette convertible is RED ! The Corvair is Marina Blue Metallic with white top and interior. The '30 Packard Touring is off-white with Packard Blue fenders and oyster canvas roof with red and blue pinstripe.

I was advised that our Cadillacs could have been special order painted in any then-current color, or any prior year standard color at no additional charge, or in the client's preferred personal color at a relatively minor additional charge. The older cars eschew style and class, sorely missing among today's choices. 

I agree that today's vehicles are mostly boring, both in design, as well as color. 

I like bright colors but my cars unfortunately are not bright. Even my 41 Cadillac was originally a charcoal color with a gray top from the factory. If I repaint it (and it desperately needs it) I would like a bright cheery color!