Clocking the screw heads

kbeach

19 minutes ago, oldford said:

Do you ask the customer to pay for that time taken to change washers or do you do it for free?

Flat rate pricing and pay. I do all kinds of stuff I don’t have to and the only person that pays for it is me. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

This, from the Associated Press, April 8,1990. I have never forgotten this story. Now this is attention to detail!

ZIONSVILLE, Ind. (AP) _ Attention to detail is a trademark of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and nowhere is detail stressed more than in Hermann Albers’ business. 

The slot in every screw head - whether on a workbench, a plaque on the wall or even inside a door hinge - is lined up dead vertical. Albers says it’s more aesthetically pleasing. 

″I’m a nut about detail,″ he says. 

In the quaint village of Zionsville nestled in rolling Indiana farmland a few minutes northwest of Indianapolis sits Albers Rolls-Royce, one of three exclusive Rolls-Royce and Bentley dealers in the United States.

The screws on my Buick inside window frames are all clocked horizontally,I guess I should make them vertical.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

The screws on my Buick inside window frames are all clocked horizontally,I guess I should make them vertical.

No they should be vertical when the windows are up and horizontal when they are down! 
Good luck with that. 
dave s 

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2022 at 8:53 PM, 1937hd45 said:

No nuts on my last show car, knockoffs. Speaking of clocking screws I trust everyone mounts their tires with the same lettering over the valve stems, right? Centered between Good and Year and with the stem under the S in Firestone. 

Like this?

There was an entire row of Big Rigs at this truck show with tires aligned with the valve stems, and once parked, the tires oriented with the brand on top.

02_Peterbilt_1.jpg

On 5/20/2022 at 10:02 PM, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

This, from the Associated Press, April 8,1990. I have never forgotten this story. Now this is attention to detail!

ZIONSVILLE, Ind. (AP) _ Attention to detail is a trademark of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and nowhere is detail stressed more than in Hermann Albers’ business. 

The slot in every screw head - whether on a workbench, a plaque on the wall or even inside a door hinge - is lined up dead vertical. Albers says it’s more aesthetically pleasing. 

″I’m a nut about detail,″ he says. 

In the quaint village of Zionsville nestled in rolling Indiana farmland a few minutes northwest of Indianapolis sits Albers Rolls-Royce, one of three exclusive Rolls-Royce and Bentley dealers in the United States.

I remember that story as well. I think it was also published in Car and Driver magazine.

• Like 1

There are tricks used now and then to make a car standout when judged.  Over inflate the tires so the vehicle stands tall.  Jack up each wheel and rotate it until the names and valve stems are all the same like on the truck pictured above.  Rotate the hubcaps so the lettering is level and consistent.  Park the vehicle so it is slightly farther out into the lane than the other vehicles in the class. There are more I'm sure.

23 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I remember that story as well. I think it was also published in Car and Driver magazine.

Yep, and they took a photo of the light switch plate at the entrance.

Craig

My clock, which is correct twice a day, is set to 2:43 as that is my badge number, post office box number and birthdate. I try to clock screws when reassembling trim items regardless of how they may have come from the factory.

I don't know just how I landed on this thread, but after reading through all of the postings I got a big ol' smile on my face.  I look at things like this in this way.  If it's your vehicle you can certainly do things the way you wish to have them done.  We all know that there are people out there who are not happy until they are picking flyshit out of the pepper on someone else's car, truck, or whatever.  There is absolutely no substitute for pride in ones workmanship.  I do the very same thing on my Brass-Era Buick.  I spent just about my whole working career in the skilled metalworking trades where precision workmanship made a difference.  If I ever heard someone make a smart remark about my car or someone else's car for doing something like this with theirs, I would look them straight in the eyes and say BITE ME!!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 3