Who wants a brand new - 54 year old?

a griffin

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-fuji-heavy-industries-go-devil/

Could you imagine buying a new mini bike only to store it away and never use it? I'm responsible for buying things and never getting around to using them, but it's definitely not something like this. Looking at the comments, this was part of Subaru.

Im sure some of you remember these as well. 

34 minutes ago, a griffin said:

Looking at the comments, this was part of Subaru.

Fuji Heavy Industries was the name of the company;

Subaru was a brand.  So actually it's the other way around.

But it's interesting to see an untouched vehicle.

I wish someone would have saved a few cars like that.

Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

So..... what do you do with something like this after you've just paid a premium to have it "untouched?" If you put it together, you'll immediately reduce the value in having it in its original packaging (not to be confused with its actual cash value).

In my opinion, owning something like this would only make sense if you were a collector of these, and it wasn't your only one. It would be a "companion" to your overall display or collection. Otherwise, it's just garage (or man cave) art...

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

So..... what do you do with something like this after you've just paid a premium to have it "untouched?"

Good question, and also...are you allowed to "touch" it enough to make sure the rings haven't rusted to the cylinder wall after a half century of storage? This, IMO, has always been the issue with "unfired" guns in the gun collecting community. You can't fire them to see if they actually work or not. I've found that some old mint condition guns are that way because they never quite worked right from the factory so the original owner never used them, or bothered sending them in for warranty work. That wouldn't appear to be the case with this mini bike, but if I can't be sure something works, I don't want it.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

At the current bid price there are (to me) more desirable antique two wheel transportation to be had.  I rode motorcycles for nearly 40 years and had a long wish list of desirable old two wheelers I would have enjoyed to own and something like this was not on that list.  Perhaps the bidders are from Japan and want it for historical purposes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

11K views and a current bid price of 8K

would indicate this is a desirable item

Jim

Not sure about desirable (as far as the masses are concerned), but certainly a lot of interest. A lot of people would watch to see how high a Jackson Pollock painting would sell for, but how many of them would actually desire one?.... at any price.

• Like 1

I used to be very active in the world of antique motorcycles. It is not all that uncommon to come upon an old bike in a shipping crate. There for awhile it seemed there was at least one at every auction I went to. Not sure I have seen a mini bike in a crate though. For reasons beyond my logic, the price of small motorcycles and mini bikes is crazy! I am not surprised at the $8k bid. If this was a completed mini bike in restored mint condition I would think it would bring $1-$2k. 

On 2/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I wish someone would have saved a few cars like that.

You mean like the Lambrecht Chevrolet dealer? The ones inside the dealership were quite brand new.

https://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/catalog/?auction=1647

• Like 1

This little bike is out of my reach financially at this point, and has been for a few days. I would have never guessed it would reach where it is.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:44 AM, West Peterson said:

A lot of people would watch to see how high a Jackson Pollock painting would sell for, but how many of them would actually desire one?.... at any price.

Nearly anyone can replicate a Jackson Pollock after a few drinks, and at night with the art room lights turned off for far less!

Craig