1928 Packard Coupe model 526 - $58,000 (Lowell MA)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I vaguely remember seeing this for sale a couple of years ago I think.   Same seller i believe.  I wonder why it hasn't sold. ;) 

It's going on four-five years this Packard has been advertised for sale on Craigslist.  The Single Six Model 526 was the 'entry-level' series, none would be considered a 'hot' item, except maybe the runabout or phaeton.  Given the model, its condition and general availability of late '20's Packards, there are better choices for near $60K.  On the other hand, sorted and cleaned up, it could be a fun good-weather driver.

I was thinking 30k, as it would be tough I think to find pretty much any open prewar Packard for much less, except maybe a 110, 115 but they have a pretty good fan base as well.

That said I do think your analogy is pretty much spot on for an A in like condition AJ. 

Technically not a roadster but here is @John Bloom's good open Classic deal, I think these cars are on "the list"?  John, maybe it is time to be a Packard collector vs. Owner? 😉😁

Oh, edit, I see its a coupe and not a convertible coupe, 2nd pic threw me..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I was thinking 30k, as it would be tough I think to find pretty much any open prewar Packard for much less, except maybe a 110, 115 but they have a pretty good fan base as well.

That said I do think your analogy is pretty much spot on for an A in like condition AJ. 

Technically not a roadster but here is @John Bloom's good open Classic deal, I think these cars are on "the list"?  John, maybe it is time to be a Packard collector vs. Owner? 😉😁

Oh, edit, I see its a coupe and not a convertible coupe, 2nd pic threw me..

Steve, thanks for thinking of me.     The first picture shows bubbling on the cowl.  By the third picture after getting it home, that paint has flaked off.  

I like the car.  The rake of a roadsters windshield does stir me a bit more than the convertible coupe look.  Man this seems like a lot of money for this car.  Everything needs refreshed.....or not......

How many Packards does it take to have a "collection"?

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)

John, I have been told 2 or more of anything is a collection.  Krylon, I think, can match this color... 😉😁

I actually like it a lot, I think at AJ's suggested price it would likely find a few real buyers from our forum.  Big delta though, sometimes it can take sellers a long time to get there.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John, I have been told 2 or more of anything is a collection.  Krylon, I think, can match this color... 😉😁

I actually like it a lot, I think at AJ's suggested price it would likely find a few real buyers from our forum.  Big delta though, sometimes it can take sellers a long time to get there.

It is a handsome car that is worth some love being put into it.  I love the drum headlights.  It looks like a car that may stay with its owner for a while.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Sadly, I think most of the "low estimates" tossed around are still too high. Neat car, and certainly worth someones time to make a driver out of it. That said, try to sell a turn key 28 Packard in 90 points plus condition at give away prices......and still very few takers. Even if the motor on the car is good and not smoking your looking at 400 hours of sorting, touch up, ect........... my number on the car is IDENTICAL to a decent Model A.........why? Because of parts and expense of getting it reliable. A Ford would be a much easier sell. I would pass on this car at 15k. And yes, I see lots of cars like this today....and I walk away. I can think of a bunch of Packards that were fantastic drivers, better year, ect........all for little money in the recent few months. 

• Like 5

Another member of this forum and I discussed separately, and 15k was the number we came up with.  Even at that, one would be in the bucket if a complete restoration done.

He’s asking big Packard money for a small Packard, and there is a huge difference….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Another member of this forum and I discussed separately, and 15k was the number we came up with.  Even at that, one would be in the bucket if a complete restoration done.

He’s asking big Packard money for a small Packard, and there is a huge difference….

15K is fine if it's your "I want it number." And you are handy, and have the time.........add that all up. I'm thinking of a fantastic Packard of a much better year...(1932) super eight with a Babinski rebuild in a fantastic original car that couldn't get even a reasonable number in my opinion. Turn key touring condition..........off year cars in project condition are just about impossible today. The seller will be shocked at the final number they get......IF THEY EVER SELL IT. 

• Like 2

While my initial reaction was wow that seems low, the thought behind it makes me reallize why I haven't stepped up from the A.  I know what I spent on mechanicals with a little bit left, and have a pretty reliable car.  Packard might take the same effort at a much higher cost, is it worth it?  That is easy, a definate no at 9:00 AM, possibly when perusing Packards at lunchtime, a solid yes around 3:00 PM, etc... 🤔😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

While my initial reaction was wow that seems low, the thought behind it makes me reallize why I haven't stepped up from the A.  I know what I spent on mechanicals with a little bit left, and have a pretty reliable car.  Packard might take the same effort at a much higher cost, is it worth it?  That is easy, a definate no at 9:00 AM, possibly when perusing Packards at lunchtime, a solid yes around 3:00 PM, etc... 🤔😁

It is comforting to know I am hanging out with like minded people with firm convictions like myself.  I have a gift in being able to give good financial advice to others that I personally throw out the window when my interest is piqued.   

think 6 year old boy with marginal talent playing right field in his first year of tball ignoring the game and chasing a butterfly around the outfield ......  yep, that’s my laser focus. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Ken_P said:

This knowledge is why I love this forum. 

also, @edinmasswhen I go shopping for a ‘32 in a few years, what’s your finders fee? 😂 

I’ll sell you ours..........we have a decent one. No commissions necessary! 😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Almost a Year Later, Still Available, Price Reduced to $48,000: 2-3-2023:

1928 Packard Coupe model 526 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

Have original bill of sale and ALL original paperwork since 1928! This is a collector barn find!
Have video driving the car this fabulous vehicle!   (Multiple photos in listing)

Copy and paste in your email: 216ee8f2c0a738ff8f8e27fe2700c1eb@sale.craigslist.org