Ronald Regan and Jane Wyman in a sun roofed 39

I apologize for having part of this upside down. This photo was 1 of a series created by the Buick advertising department and distrubuted to zone dealerships, newspapers, and movie theaters. Both Ronald Regan and Jane Wyman were B movie actors  under contract with Warner Studios in 1939. This contract also allowed them to work for Buick Motor Division. Folks like Clark Gable were A movie actors and they advertized for Packard.  

• Like 2

Warner Brothers had some kind of a deal with Buick. Think of the one in Casablanca that Claude Raines drove or the Buick wagon Bette Davis drove in Now Voyager or the 1941 Buick convertible that Jack Benny drove in George Washington Slept Here or the 1941 Limited that was in The Man Who Came To Dinner, and a lot of others.

Ronald Reagan, I believe owned, a 1939 LaSalle convertible in real life. Late in the forties, he became friendly with a Lincoln dealer named Tuttle. I have seen a promotional photo of Reagan and Jane Wyman posing with a 1949 Lincoln. Jane does not look thrilled to be there, probably because she left him some time in 1948. When he was President, he appointed one of the Tuttle family as Ambassador to Great Britain.

On 2/1/2022 at 12:14 AM, mike6024 said:

I like the '39's with the grill and headlights. Looks like the eyeballs and mouth of some creature.

Same here, My Father had a 39 Pontiac and that had great art deco grill also, but not as good the Buick, The car just makes a statement

Yes, thanks for the education. Despite viewing sunroofs installed decades after the fact as butchery of old cars, I have to admit they can be nice. I was riding in my brother's Infinity today, and really enjoyed the glassed over sunroof. As an option on this old Buick, it's pretty cool.

6 hours ago, mrspeedyt said:

i had a rough 40 la salle sedan with a factory steel sunroof. pretty neat!

sold it a few years ago. sold it to a restorer. 

E938A0A1-8305-4E20-AA4E-DD90134E249C.png

So a sunroof to let the sun in and a visor to keep it out 🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, 8E45E said:

Unless the driver's eyes are in the back of his head!!

Craig

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNVlBWuRpmfbr6_JvVPrd

🤣

Off-topic but I've read that folks in places that have tigers wear masks with eyes on the backs of their heads.  Apparently tigers are ambush predators and less likely to attack head-on.

9 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNVlBWuRpmfbr6_JvVPrd

🤣

Off-topic but I've read that folks in places that have tigers wear masks with eyes on the backs of their heads.  Apparently tigers are ambush predators and less likely to attack head-on.

So,

maybe that could help to keep from getting your car rear-ended in heavy traffic ?

17 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

🤣

It was used in the Sunderbans, Bangadesh.  Worked for a while but the tigers learned to tell the difference.