Texas Car Collection Crushed 1930s-1970

coachJC

I ran across this video today on YouTube. The guy who took the video did not get there till after lots of cars were already gone but it still gives you an idea of the size of this one guys collection. The video goes to show what happens when you collect all this stuff but probably never had any intention of selling anything and not having any plan with his family( if he had one) as to what to do with the cars. It is just easiest to get a scrapper in. Lots of the stuff had no value but there were a few that looked liked they could be saved or scavenged for parts.

I bought a donor car (firebird) from a fellow in N Jersey. He had a lot with about 40 cars or so, several sea containers packed full of parts. All firebirds or trans ams, all years some very desirable some just run of the mill. When I was there he had something like 30 days to get rid of everything. The township was going to move in and start crushing. He was on a busy road, in a town but it was a quiet neighborhood. Also had a 8ft high privacy fence surrounding the property. Until the gate was open you had no idea what was even behind it. 

My assumption is that either the "collector" passed and the family had no interest -or- the property was bought as is and the new owner had no interest. Very unfortunate. 

I would love to have seen the property 20 years ago.

Not to be too much of a contrarian, but maybe some decent parts got lost but I’m missing the cars that somebody would save? The market is flooded with usable drivable cars that the sellers are having trouble giving away at very reasonable prices. The idea that somebody is going to put the amount of time and money into one of these hulks  to bring it back to life makes no sense to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Not to be too much of a contrarian, but maybe some decent parts got lost but I’m missing the cars that somebody would save? The market is flooded with usable drivable cars that the sellers are having trouble giving away at very reasonable prices. The idea that somebody is going to put the amount of time and money into one of these hulks  to bring it back to life makes no sense to me.

Did they mention where in Texas these cars were crushed? My guess it the nearest town is in another state. 

Bob 

Another sad day was when Shorty Reeds stuff in Shawnee, Oklahoma was crushed, probably 25+yr ago. All 20s thru 50s cars, wasn`t a salvage yard, some of the cars were sold before the crusher showed up. After Shorty died his son in law was in charge, he had a spiral notebook listing of every car in the yard east of town, all the cars were numbered. When i went for a look, the son in law told me someone from southern California had bought all the coupes on the property, next time i went back, the crusher was just finishing up. I cried like a baby..