Shipping a car by rail

bob duffer

Has anybody ever shipped a car by rail? There is a car in Maple Ridge, BC that I want , but I am in Michigan. I was thinking that maybe shipping it by train might be cheaper ,but I don't know. Also are there any fees for bringing a car from Canada to the US? Thanks in advance.

Based on 10 years ago, if the car was originally sold in the US and later imported too Canada, there would be no duty.  If the car was originally sold in Canada, there would be duty.  Historic documentation of the car is critical.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bob duffer said:

Has anybody ever shipped a car by rail? There is a car in Maple Ridge, BC that I want , but I am in Michigan. I was thinking that maybe shipping it by train might be cheaper ,but I don't know. Also are there any fees for bringing a car from Canada to the US? Thanks in advance.

The answers to your questions are contingent upon the actual vehicle - the date of manufacture - the country of origin.

Once you get that information - you should consult your local DMV office to

make sure the vehicle can be registered 

in your state - a copy of the current title

and/or registration is helpful.

Have the Seller assist you in researching transport options to get it at least to a border crossing if you are looking to save money.

But if you want a hassle free experience

consider paying an auto transport importer to handle all the paperwork and transport.

Jim

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

You would have to be crazy to ship by rail...if they would even take it.

Dealing with railroads is a real PITA

I would think that if it was in a container it may fair well. I see trains rolling all the time with hundreds of containers stacked two high.

Dealing with the railroads could certainly be an issue.

If packed correctly. If you had a container dropped at your house, load the car then picked up and delivered to a rail yard?  When containers are loaded/unloaded they are akin to a dump truck. So imagine the ride your car is going on. I would surmise a fork lift or crane at the yard. Then, who owns the container? I have a local guy that rents them but once its loaded on a train............... and how does it get back?  I have never shipped by train but it sounds like it may be a logistical nightmare, when there are lots of guys with trucks doing this job already.

• Like 1

I had a very large boat once and wanted to transport it to Fl.

It was33' long and 12' wide and 10' high.

I couldn't believe that if I had sent by air it would only have cost a few thousand!

It was based upon some misc. rate that could be used for boats.

Remember that railroads today are geared towards bulk commodities. A few years ago a family member was tasked with shipping aerospace related jigs, fixtures and tooling from the west coast to the northeast. Given the size and quantity they figured rail would be the way to go. The first question the railroad people asked was "do you want it to arrive in one piece?" In spite of it being a sizeable contract for them they really discouraged it. In the end it was all moved it by truck.

Now if you need a car moved Northern Virginia (Lorton station) to /from Central Florida (Sanford station  the rail is easy! I think a person is required to be a passenger on the train with the car. They move a LOT of cars this way. Snowbirds of course.👍

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shipping by rail used to be the best way to get your car and yourself up & down the East Coast to Florida and back.

You could ride the same train that your car was traveling on - that way when you arrived you could drive it away.

Jim

• Thanks 1

Hi.

I have sold a few cars to USA ,you want to do things right when the border is involved . A Canadian seller is best to meet the buyer at the border , a canadian cannot just sell a car in the USA and deliver it, and then buyer worry about paperwork later.

your best bet is use a broker ahead before car crosses border if you do not know the rules , usually only $150. 
An antique car will be free of duty and DOT. Requirements ( and yes Canada and USA are different) the fact that it came from or crossed border before will not exempt it from importation , the Canadian registration papers will be honoured for American title with border import papers.USHIP is a good source and you can check ratings of proper licenced haulers legal to ship cross border along with use of broker , most ppl find it better to go in person to pick a car up and enter USA border returning with your car.

• Like 1

One extra thing to keep in mind is that most of Canada dosnt have a title system the same as USA, it is more a transfer of ownership document , usually just the car licence plate registration papers , so don’t assume that getting these papers is same as USA title meaning it is free of liens and encumbrances . Also when crossing border have everything for proof with you , car ad, method of payment ,etc. The border agents will also check the serial numbers and matching paperwork and run a stolen and lien search .Anything suspicious and border has power to fine and or seize vehicle . 

J J Coleman brokers 

and Rutherford brokers 

are two I have used, they will tell you on a phone call everything you need to prepare .

If you are not personally transporting the car through the border …..you must have a  broker for the carrier of you vehicle . 
also if you are buying a foreign car example Mercedes there are some “ grey market car “ restrictions , grey market car is a car brought from another country intonUSA / Canada at some point in its life new or used , and check the “status” of the vehicle for “ rebuilt “ salvageable” etc 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

Always ask the seller for the serial number ahead , before paying in person ,you can call the border ( for you - the US border) or stop by local police station in Canada and say “ hey I’m American up here buying this car and I don’t know all the rules and can you just run the serial number and tell me it’s not stolen ?” I have done this both sides of the border different times and always been helped

I can go on and on having done this a lot with vehicles crossing both ways , another good thing to do is …..when you buy the car in Canada , call the border crossing you plan to use and say “ I just bought this car in Canada and I am going to be crossing at your border crossing in a few days or whatever and can I fax you the paperwork ?” 
this way they will pre check the car for clearance , and saves you waiting at a busy border crossing half a day  lol

I live in New Jersey.  Several years ago I bought a Stanley Steamer in Canada.  I called the authorities at the Thousand Islands crossing, where I intended to bring the car across.  They told me exactly what documents I'd need, and where to find them, and that they'd be correct for titling and registering the car in NJ.  I did exactly as told, and encountered only one problem coming across: there was about a 20-minute delay while every immigration guy wanted to see the Stanley and ask questions!  Such problems I'll cheerfully endure.  And there was absolutely no hassle with the NJ DMV.

• Like 1