Safe tires for a driver

31nash880

Need recommendations for tires/ wheels. Have a 31 Nash that is going to be a driver. Keeping mechanical brakes. Noticed that I can lock up all brakes but car skids fast due to old hard tires. Was going to put radials on it but another thread said I would have problems with split rim mounting. Only wheels available that I have found are implement wheels due to 6 lug on 6 inch.

Recommendations for bias ply tires with tubes or wheels and radials.

Thanks in advance for info.

I have Lester bias ply tires and tubes on my '29 Model A.  I have no desire to travel more than 45 - 50 mph so I don't need radials. I like the Lesters very much and they give a nice smooth ride.           John

• Like 1

Looks like it might be 550-18?

These old cars wont dig in like a modern car and will tend to skid. It is their nature. People drove slower. If the tires are old, new ones make a huge improvement but don't expect miracles.

Radials would probably help some, but I am not enthusiastic about that with split rims. You didn't mention which kind of split rims they are, but I don't think it matters. Radials might be best left to cars with drop center rims.

Assuming we are talking bias ply then, Blockley Tyre (UK) makes high performance bias ply tires and tubes in 550-18 and similar sizes. They are aimed at vintage racing mostly, and they are expensive. Most if not all carry DOT markings and a speed rating. I doubt you could find better bias ply tires. Blackwall only.

Beyond that if you are in the US, you would be shopping for replicas from Coker, Lucas, or Universal. These would be copies of bias ply tires from the period the car was made in or shortly thereafter. Blackwall or whitewall.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Hard to define "driver" at this point. Would love the car to do 45-55 and able to travel 60 miles or more for nice easy road trips. New to a vehicle this old and so far got it to go around neighborhood and 5 miles down road to cruise in. Brakes worked well when someone pulled out right in front of it.

I would stick with the original style bias tires as they should give good performance. As far as driving an old car, if the car is well maintained and safe, don't be afraid of it. I used to drive my Model A all over at 45-50 mph with no problems. That's not to say that you can drive it like a modern car. You'll still have to compensate for handling characteristics and pay attention to traffic conditions. We used to take trips of over 100 miles one way and I discovered that it took almost the same amount of time to a destination at 45 as it did at 60, because speeds vary, sorta like the tortoise and the hare! Enjoy the ride!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 7:23 AM, 41 Su8 said:

I have Lester bias ply tires and tubes on my '29 Model A.  I have no desire to travel more than 45 - 50 mph so I don't need radials. I like the Lesters very much and they give a nice smooth ride.           John

I put Lesters on my 35 buick because I couldn't get Universal anymore and I like the ride.

I have 40 year old Allstate Nylon 500/550-18 now (yes, crazy) and I am going to try Michelin double rivet 600/650-18 (correct size for my car) this spring.

I hear they are good bias ply tires from Universal Tire, so hopefully things improve with handling and ride for us.

We drive at 45-50mph, so nothing high speed.

While the minimum safe tire tread depth is 2/32″, consider replacing your tires at the 4/32″ mark, especially if you drive in rainy and snowy conditions. ... Take a penny and place it in multiple grooves around your Dunlop Tyres. If the top of Lincoln's head is always covered, you have more than 2/32″ of tread remaining.