Correct pronunciation of "Jaguar"

JonW

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Here in southeast any cola is a coke, no matter the brand.

"White pop or black pop?" Saved a lot of monkeying around.

What really damaged the kids was looking up at the menu and saying "I can't decide between a number 1 with an extra cup or a #2 with extra napkins".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

How about "An-teeck Aw-toe-mo-beels ?  Nah...that's asking too much.

Never hurts to know what people are actually saying when you're on tour with yer old car... might save getting "Yer not from here, are ya?"🤓

as in if avgwarhawk were to say "we goin' downy ocean" I would know he meant they were going to Cruisin' Ocean City. But I have kin in Bawlmer so I have an unfair advantage!😁

The easiest way to learn how these makes are pronounced is to go to YouTube and find an interview with the person most responsible for the car. Sir William Lyons for Jaguar, Ferry Porsche, Utaka Katayama-Datsun/Nissan, father of the Z car.

Example;

Porsche Independence

Problem solved

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

In my part of MD we have always used the term 'Coke' for any cola beverage. Every once in awhile I will throw 'pop' into the equation and my wife calls me ridiculous. She say's 'why dont you just order a coke so they know what youre talking about'. We also call a lunch meat sandwich on a long roll a 'sub'. 

I was in Vermont several years ago, we were shopping in the country store. A lady came up and said " You're from Maryland I can tell by your accent". I was quite surprised hearing this from someone with a New England accent. I never thought I had one!

• Haha 1

My friends and family in Massachusetts and other parts of New England call a sandwich on a long bun a "grinder," whereas here in Ohio (Uh-HY-ah), we generally refer to the sub sandwich. Yet there is another name for this sandwich I have often heard, and can't recall it now...

On 1/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, 3macboys said:

Doesn't matter what the right answer is, either accept that she is correct or prepare the couch/sofa/chesterfield for the night. 

Hmmm...my grandparents who moved from the back country of KY to Ohio in the 1920's always called that piece of furniture a "Davenport." 

3 hours ago, lump said:

Hmmm...my grandparents who moved from the back country of KY to Ohio in the 1920's always called that piece of furniture a "Davenport." 

Grew up in the L.A. area. Davenport was a common name for a sofa, or couch in the 30's, 40's and 50's. I certainly like the sound better than Futon. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

3 hours ago, lump said:

3 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Grew up in the L.A. area. Davenport was a common name for a sofa, or couch in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

I actually had to look that one up...learned something new.  Here I thought that I would through you all off with chesterfield.

8 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

I actually had to look that one up...learned something new.  Here I thought that I would through you all off with chesterfield.

Chesterfield is a bit tricky because Chesterfield was originally in England, so perhaps where you come from, and part of the commonwealth would have heard it used more often. The only Chesterfield name I was familiar with would be Chesterfield cigarettes.

Cigarettes American Chesterfield 1945 USS 2 - Militaria WW2 De Kale Gaper

7 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Chesterfield is a bit tricky because Chesterfield was originally in England, so perhaps where you come from, and part of the commonwealth would have heard it used more often. The only Chesterfield name I was familiar with would be Chesterfield cigarettes.

Cigarettes American Chesterfield 1945 USS 2 - Militaria WW2 De Kale Gaper

Chesterfield is actually a ghost town in my county - Oxford, named after Oxfordshire so I will claim that as a tie in to the original question.  Now my condolences to all of my southern neighbours who never got to experience chesterfield rugby....

Also called a "divan".

4 hours ago, lump said:

My friends and family in Massachusetts and other parts of New England call a sandwich on a long bun a "grinder," whereas here in Ohio (Uh-HY-ah), we generally refer to the sub sandwich. Yet there is another name for this sandwich I have often heard, and can't recall it now...

"Hoagie". Some around here call them "italians" which works for a cold cut sub, but not so much a hot sub. I think that came from the Greek delis we used to have here. I miss those, but most of the old Greek restaurateurs have died off. Used to have two Greek delis, a Greek seafood restaurant and three Greek-owned diners who would always have a Greek dish as a daily special.

Unfortunately the closest we have to English food is a Long John Silver's, which for fish and chips is close but no cigar.

4 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

Chesterfield is actually a ghost town in my county - Oxford, named after Oxfordshire so I will claim that as a tie in to the original question.  Now my condolences to all of my southern neighbours who never got to experience chesterfield rugby....

Sorry Panther, Manchester United!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, Terry Bond said:

Ever been to Scotland?  Watch the old movie "Whisky Galore" for a sample (dialect, not Whisky).  It's a bit different than what you get watching Braveheart!

Thanks for that trailer, Terry. That movie looks awesome! I definitely will get a copy, if possible.

And in the "spirit" of the thread, don't forget...there's whisky and whiskEy. 😄

• Like 2

Hoagies are a Philly thing. Supposedly the workers at the ship yard would eat them. The place was Hog island and their sandwiches became known as Hoagies. In our area grinder is rarely used to describe a sub sandwich, usually its heated though. 

Now a good Cheesteak, thats a whole story on its own!

Another one just occurred to me. The new-in-late-1966 small-V8 SCCA-approved high performance Camaro option was described as Regular Production Option (RPO) Z-28. In mid 1968 that became the actual name of the model, and we Americans pronounce it as: "Zee -28." But my Australian buddies came to visit our family the year I got my 1969 Z28 restored, and they loved riding and driving in my "ZED - 28?

Now, as I pointed out, this was an American car produced by an American company, and they named it. So it should be said as "Zee-28." But they laughed and argued that the language came to American from it's English origin, where the "Z" character is pronounced, "Zed!" So which one is "correct?" Who cares?!? We had lots of fun arguing the point over many beers and much laughter. 

Any way anyone wants to pronounce the name of a collector car is just fine with me. There is no "correct" way. Just keep talking enthusiastically about old cars, and I'm IN! 😁

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, lump said:

Another one just occurred to me. The new-in-late-1966 small-V8 SCCA-approved high performance Camaro option was described as Regular Production Option (RPO) Z-28. In mid 1968 that became the actual name of the model, and we Americans pronounce it as: "Zee -28." But my Australian buddies came to visit our family the year I got my 1969 Z28 restored, and they loved riding and driving in my "ZED - 28?

Now, as I pointed out, this was an American car produced by an American company, and they named it. So it should be said as "Zee-28." But they laughed and argued that the language came to American from it's English origin, where the "Z" character is pronounced, "Zed!" So which one is "correct?" Who cares?!? We had lots of fun arguing the point over many beers and much laughter. 

Any way anyone wants to pronounce the name of a collector car is just fine with me. There is no "correct" way. Just keep talking enthusiastically about old cars, and I'm IN! 😁

Hello, Lump.  Thank you for posting about old cars.  👍

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:05 PM, TAKerry said:

My brother has spent quite a bit of time in Europe and has developed friendships with many he has had contact with over the years.  Mom was pet sitting over a weekend and answered an incoming call. When my brother got home, Mom said 'so and so called but I couldnt understand a word he said'. She asked what foreign country he was from. The answer was England!

UK Southerners , have trouble understanding many northern folks speech, but from experience having spent many business days all over north , nice people generally warmer personality than some standoffish down south and enjoyed many a “ brew “ with them 

• Like 1