Does anybody keep track of the amount of car-trucks lost in fires every year?

Swear57

Dose anybody keep track of the amount of car-trucks lost in fires every year? Like Denver, Oregon or California. Floods, tornadoes or hurricanes. That is old cars & parts that will never be seen again. I just think of all the antiques lost every year in house fires alone.

Many news photos catch images of these fires where someone’s pride joy auto is reduced to a burnt pile of rubble.  What I find even worse is these folks don’t even have a place to live anymore and everything but the clothes on their backs is completely gone.  Same goes for the tornado victims.  It’s not like you can find another house down the street to live in while yours gets fixed.  It’s strong incentive to be thankful for what you have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, that can happen to any one of us at any given time.  There are certainly ways to minimize the dangers, by not taking up residence on a floodplain, for one example, but time and unforseen circumstances befall us all.

Craig 

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Unfortunately, that can happen to any one of us at any given time.  There are certainly ways to minimize the dangers, by not taking up residence on a floodplain...

...or in the forest, or near the ocean, or in tornado alley, or where hurricanes or earthquakes are prevalent. Just keep your insurance premiums paid.

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Does anybody keep track of the amount of car-trucks lost in fires every year?

The base question, what is the annual attrition or loss number on our collector car world is interesting.  Hopefully it is a very small number percentage wise. 

Maybe Hagerty or other company could likely provide some level of data on that.   Actually even a small number would be another good argument to insure appropriately.

Still, for common garden cars, I am sure the loss ratio due to unfinished projects, forgotten cars moved into poor storage/outside, hot rodding, and maybe even theft is much higher.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

If I lived where fires happen frequently I would take the old cars and leave behind the easier to replace latemodels.

That sounds all well and good, until you got 30 minutes to start scrambling to leave, I myself am taking the most dependable vehicle I have with the brightest headlights, fresh air filtering system, and the largest fuel tank in the fleet. I am not worrying about replacing vehicles, regardless of the vintage I can't replace my family, my pet, or myself.   

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, John348 said:

That sounds all well and good, until you got 30 minutes to start scrambling to leave, I myself am taking the most dependable vehicle I have with the brightest headlights, fresh air filtering system, and the largest fuel tank in the fleet. I am not worrying about replacing vehicles, regardless of the vintage I can't replace my family, my pet, or myself.   

All of my older vehicles run just as good or better them my daily drivers and usually have more gas in the tank then my daily drivers so it would be a no brainer to take one of them if a fire would happen.