Gonzo the 58 Limited

Smartin

Why do I do this to myself?

The opportunity came up at an inopportune time to buy this car, so in my head, either this or the 58 Roadmaster has to leave.  But I think I’ve come to the conclusion that we will try and keep both cars.

Factory colors on this car are Blue Mist with a Polar Mist top.  Blue interior, of course.  This is the same color combo as Hobart, my old Limited…which might have aided in my decision to purchase 😬

The current color is terrible…but I’ll have to live with it for a while.  Chrome is in surprising my good condition.  Interior is serviceable.  

It needs…a lot.  But it starts, runs, and drives.  I need to go through the brakes, carb, and a couple other mechanical things before I can really drive it.  It’s currently getting a new exhaust system front to back.  Every car I buy needs brakes and exhaust work. Sheesh!

I’m excited to have a Limted again!

For some reason, the photos posted upside down, so I had to screenshot them from my phone.  

3F1D134E-7409-48A1-8131-650DA18E6267.png

4501BD58-30AC-458E-B82B-FDBEFA43955E.png

FBC6610A-2CC3-4794-81AD-D43BFDB96393.png

67DC4BE3-0079-4F80-9B8D-FC3049AA3304.png

EC5406EB-DAFB-421B-AC60-E86B0F4BF2BB.png

62B3517C-0720-41BC-9AF2-7F7D1E602B59.png

9A9683FD-E1BC-4A49-B9A9-C7A45D03F463.png

F4151B17-5BC4-4711-AA26-A38AE02637C4.png

• Like 13

Holy cow - another '58!?!  They seem to be popping up like cicadas!  Looks pretty clean underneath despite the NY registration; I wonder where it was originally sold.  Can't wait to see Kermit!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8qEQuOLlDRIw8qF8O3eK

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In order for me to have time for my stuff, I have to put in a full day on everyone else's stuff.  Then I can work second shift on my stuff.

Yeah, I am happy, yet disappointed, that it has a standard dynaflow.  The Roadmaster still has the Flight Pitch, and it works well...but leaks pretty good too.  I have Jim Hughes building me one to swap in over the Winter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smartin said:

I was thinking more Oscar 🤣

The car was definitely dirty enough when I got it to look like it was living in a garbage can.

He'll be happier like Kermit soon, 🙂  especially after a get-together with Miss Piggy and Gonzo.  What a sight they'd be all lined up!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later, and I still don’t have a ship date from CARS for parts.  Odd that if you order from their eBay store, everything ships within a day or two.  But it’s like pulling teeth to get them to ship within two weeks or more if you order directly.

I did some shuffling the other day and shot a video with the new exhaust…also a couple shots from the same day with all 3 58’s in attendance…

1C08F44D-E278-4118-A160-AC645733859F.jpeg

32B92C3F-30C4-4915-A7BC-39E317340B04.jpeg

• Like 11

Driver front power window was not working, so I figured I would start a project on Sunday evening for fun 🤪

I found that there was no continuity from the switch to the motor for the down position.  So I immediately looked in the door jamb for a broken wire, and found several.

I removed the harness from the door and pulled it into the car as much as possible.  This has been done previously, as the harness was cut and spliced in that spot with those crappy plastic snap together connectors.  So I just cut the whole thing off and redid it.

Why is this thing suddenly loading half of my images upside down?  I never used to have that problem.  Screen shot time…

54A450C3-617E-428D-AD1F-9BD551CDFF1B.png

A16D0635-CE34-442B-9A00-5DB902AC0C22.png

• Like 7

I tackled the torque ball reseal job this afternoon.  I'm in the middle of uploading 8744 video clips to my computer, then editing for ye olde YouTube.  Will post when I get it wrapped up.

It leaked pretty significantly when it was parked, but when I put it on the lift and unloaded the suspension, it dripped once every 5 seconds.  Really bad leak.  I got it done, but haven't refilled the trans yet.  I'll likely put some leak-b-gone in, similar to what I did on Piggy.  Hopefully will slow any other leaks it has down there.  The whole bottom end of the car is a grease ball along the entire driveline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

x2 - very helpful video (and free)!  I have to say that Gonzo is really clean underneath given that he came from NY.  Must have been down-state (Long Island?) or not driven much during the winter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smartin said:

Brake hoses and wheel cylinders was the game this afternoon.  And I don’t know how I did it without this awesome fluid extractor.

4A3881A8-2A85-4E38-8189-0E095E16553A.jpeg

678CA1CE-42FF-41F5-B18E-61C842BA9228.jpeg

0CB7C6A5-05E6-4F62-A118-17B35DF5855F.jpeg

Tell me more about the fluid extractor.  Do you now deem it essential for one-man bleeding?  I may have to get one.

Amazon “brake fluid bleeder” 

This is the one I have…

LIYYOO 2L Vacuum Brake Bleeder Pneumatic Fluid Extractor Tool Kit with 49 ft Long Silicon Bleeding Hose, for Automotive Car Truck Motorcycle and ABS Brake Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MDSSYB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_11GX59ND1C1W4T37VYQ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I see it says 49 FEET long hose.  It’s more like 49”

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's much faster than gravity bleeding...and I trust that I've run enough fluid through each line to flush completely.  I've used a pressure bleeder on these, but it's hard to keep a good seal on the MC.  Plus it makes a mess at the MC if you're not careful.  I'be also done the mity vac at the bleeders themselves...it's a giant PITA.  This pneumatic one is pretty sweet and FAST compared to those other two methods.  If you're a one-man-show, this is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4