Gonzo the 58 Limited

Smartin

33 minutes ago, Smartin said:

It's much faster than gravity bleeding...and I trust that I've run enough fluid through each line to flush completely.  I've used a pressure bleeder on these, but it's hard to keep a good seal on the MC.  Plus it makes a mess at the MC if you're not careful.  I'be also done the mity vac at the bleeders themselves...it's a giant PITA.  This pneumatic one is pretty sweet and FAST compared to those other two methods.  If you're a one-man-show, this is the way to go.

I have not tried that one, but my problems with vacuum bleeders vs a pressure bleeder is that you have to monitor the fluid in the master cylinder  and it is sometimes hard to tell when evacuation is complete at the wheel cylinders when some air is sucked in around the bleeder screws.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, old-tank said:

I have not tried that one, but my problems with vacuum bleeders vs a pressure bleeder is that you have to monitor the fluid in the master cylinder  and it is sometimes hard to tell when evacuation is complete at the wheel cylinders when some air is sucked in around the bleeder screws.

I have the same concern.  I'm thinking of rigging up a reservoir expander that screws on to the MC.  Should be easy to get it to seal well enough with no pressure.

• Thanks 1

I just tried the hand vac method on my '38 rear brakes the other day.  After my hands cramped to the point I barely hold the tool, I went back to my 'go-to' method.  I just attach the cup with a little fluid in it to the open bleeder and slowly pump the brake pedal myself.  That always works for me - had a hard pedal after 4 or 5 pumps at each wheel after refilling the master and emptying the cup when moving to the other wheel.  The vacuum method seems to always result in a continuous stream of bubbles and I wind-up going back to 'old faithful'...

I have a pressure bleeder, and I LOVE it when it works.  But it's a pain in the ass to get set up perfectly where it won't leak where it's sealing against the MC.  So this pneumatic one literally has no setup time except to plug it into the air line.  Plus, just pull fluid in small increments where you know you won't suck the MC dry.  I spend 5-10 seconds on one pull.  Then check the MC and top off.  Repeat until done.  Who cares if it sucks air at the bleeder?  Shut off the bleeder before you stop pulling fluid.  Done deal.  And no mess.  And this extractor is great if you're wanting to pull the MC off or empty a power steering reservoir.  Just use the hose like a vacuum cleaner and it'll suck it damn near dry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Smartin said:

Who cares if it sucks air at the bleeder?

The only issue with that is it's hard to be sure that all of the air is out of the system.  I have done it with the vacuum pump and just 'quit' when I had pulled what I figured to be enough fluid through the bleeder.  If the pedal is hard, no issue...

A friend of mine brought his over today to replace the carb that is currently on Gonzo.  The one on the car isn’t the right vintage, and the linkage is all FUBAR from being modified and cut up.  So, this is a rebuilt unit that was never fired yet.  Famous last words. I know…but I’m going to run it and find out.  Just waiting on a pair of linkage rods from eBay to show up so I can swap the carb.

D4FE78D3-5316-4B86-9722-E9173D12DBE1.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I never got to swapping the carb yet.  But I found some time this evening to finish up the power window issues.  Both rear switches were MIA (stuck in a box with some other switch parts), so I pulled the door panels and checked out the wiring.  Both sides connectors wouldn’t stay stuck on the switch.  They would just fall off if I plugged in the switch.  So I had to take apart the connector and pinch the circular connectors together so they would clamp onto the pins on the switches.  I also took the switches apart and cleaned them.  Once I got the electrical portion working, the rollers, motors, and tracks all needed lubed…and exercised quite a bit.

One thing that was also bugging me was the incorrect clocking of the door handles.  Front door handles are clocked forward at a 45 pointing up.  Rears are pointed down at a 45. 

348652FC-0A80-4F17-8DC6-57EB216A79FD.jpeg

B0F4ADB0-F739-4D33-B442-0071813C27A2.jpeg

• Like 6

A very expensive car for 1958!  The base price on the Peterson Garage form is eye-popping.  I wonder whether this was Buick's MSRP for this model, or whether the dealer had baked some significant profit into that pricing.  . . . Great documentation for this fantastic car, Adam.

• Like 2

and it works!  Apparently...that was one of the sales points when the car was getting pitched to me.

I swapped the "new" carb onto the engine this afternoon.  I was able to use the linkage I found on eBay (with a core carb still attached).  It fired right up without a hiccup.  I'll have to wait until it gets warmer to adjust idle mix, since I have to get the car really warm to do that effectively.

• Like 2

Quickie update.  Once I ran Piggy after fixing it’s carb, I popped back over to Gonzo and cranked it up to get it warm for a quick idle mix tune.

It immediately fired up on the first rev, which I thought was a good sign.  I let it warm up and adjusted the idle speed and mix.

A fast blip of the throttle creates a backfire through the carb.  I checked timing and it’s right on the money.  I ordered a full tune up kit for it in hopes that it will clear up that issue.  I also ordered upper and lower radiator hoses for both 58’s while I’m at it.  What’s another $500?  It’s only money…I’ll make more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Quick update on the blue beast.

New spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor.  That seems to have fixed the backfiring issue.  I drove it about an hour each way to the Easter show in Forest Park on Sunday, while Atena drove Miss Piggy.  Both cars have brand new tires from Diamond Back.  Gonzo still has a light wiggle in the steering wheel at cruise speed.  I went ahead and bought new shocks for it, but I think I'll need to have the tires rebalanced to make sure.  I had them static balance them so the weights would be on the inside of the wheel, but if it makes that much difference, I'm going to just do what it takes to get a smooth ride.  I don't really care about weights on the outside, as long as it's not a pile of them.

But, given that, it runs very well and likes to do 75-80 on the highway.  And it's quiet!  Not much of any wind noise at all.  Atena was saying something about Piggy having some wind noise issues...so will have to look into that.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:31 PM, Smartin said:

Both cars have brand new tires from Diamond Back.  Gonzo still has a light wiggle in the steering wheel at cruise speed.  I went ahead and bought new shocks for it, but I think I'll need to have the tires rebalanced to make sure.  I had them static balance them so the weights would be on the inside of the wheel, but if it makes that much difference, I'm going to just do what it takes to get a smooth ride.  I don't really care about weights on the outside, as long as it's not a pile of them.

Did you use the Nexen based tires with the new style tread or the bias -look style? I still need tires for my 60.

• 1 month later...

I've been putting off this starter rebuild since I bought the car, and it picks RIGHT NOW to completely sh!t the bed and not work.  I ripped it out of the car this evening, and will take it to Elliot tomorrow AM first thing. 

Still on the list for this car before we take it to Lisle:

Starter (half checked off the list)

Set of 4 shocks

Speedometer swap? 

Fix a couple little minor leaks

Of course all of this is on top of what I have to do with Piggy.  That's a massive cluster that I shouldn't have opened up a month before the nats.  There's a 50/50 chance Piggy won't make it to this show.

I'm 100% sure Gonzo is going, and I will stick him in the car corral Thursday and Friday...then move him to the show field for display on Saturday.

57A03D97-FEF2-4B5A-B8F9-D73069E7DBB6.jpeg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 9:32 AM, Smartin said:

I do love the 57's but the 58 bug bit me a long time ago.

For me, the '58s are second only to the '56, but then again, the '59s have to factor in as well, oh, and my '37, or a '49 ?-

just call me fickle?

That old tune (from Finian's Rainbow?) which goes:

When I'm not near the girl that I love,

I love the girl that I'm near.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...