1931 Chrysler Coupe on BAT

You know how tempting this is.  It's only an hour to an hour and a half from me.  While the paint issues kind of suck,  if it doesn't go much higher than the current bid it's Model A money for a Chrysler.  I agree the 8 is a better platform but it looks like it might have been in similar shape before they restored it. 

Why do you guys have to post stuff like this on the day it's ending. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We need Keiser31 to look at this car pics.  The car never left the factory without a spare tire mounting point, either sidemounts or rear mount bracket. 

I am not an expert on CM, but other Mopars of this era had a full width rear bumper if it came with sidemounts and rear rack like this car has.  The rear spare mount Mopar cars normally had split rear bumpers, but as I said, I'm not a CM person.

I agree the car looked super nice before resto, that is a huge sales price booster IMO.  One sketchy thing is the nasty looking patch on the bottom of gas tank.  Not being picky, especially at near this price so far, just a heads up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Will be interesting.  Joe Morgan had this very cool CD-8 which is  a much better chassis that he couldn't give away for 30k at Hershey.   Granted the BAT car is cosmetically very nice.

C217F114-755B-4E50-8026-5E15CD60049B.jpeg.2b3c267e3bdc2f602f21cedde48ffdfe.jpeg613FEB3A-7A9F-47EC-8AAC-A9722684600B.jpeg.a54bb15ec3b6ebb498a6754841fdfe93.jpeg

Hmmm?

Yes, this could be a great car.

I'm curious though, if $30K was the asking price, and the car had to have been viewed by a legion of car guys at Hershey, does that mean that $30K is not just a little too high but a lot too high for a starting point, as the For Sale sign shows the seller was willing to negotiate rather than firm on his price?

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Hmmm?

Yes, this could be a great car.

I'm curious though, if $30K was the asking price, and the car had to have been viewed by a legion of car guys at Hershey, does that mean that $30K is not just a little too high but a lot too high for a starting point, as the For Sale sign shows the seller was willing to negotiate rather than firm on his price?

It was pretty cool,  ran and drove, but needed lots of attention here and there.   Nobody knows more about 31-33 Chrysler than Joe Morgan so I would expect he knows how to price it.   Sitting in the Chocolate field  the CD got 1/100 the exposure that the subject car of this thread is getting from BAT.

Wow sold for 32,500.  Someone saw something much better than I.  I saw paint coming loose,  blistering of the paint on the dash chrome flaked on the grille shell. Chassis looked good but the underneath was scuzzy otherwise.  If prewar cars are dieing and no one wants them,  this one didn't get the note. 

• Like 1

Seems like emotions took over during the last hours of that BaT auction. That is why I avoid eBay after a couple of drinks. 

This one has been hanging around on Facebook for a bit. $21k ask. More pics in the ad. 
image.jpeg.77081693895fde9035386b0c7c41c634.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/540114127111534/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

I am really, really intrigued by that CD-8. But alas I am not ready to clear a spot in the garage. 

- John

I did land "grandma's" 53 Plymouth sedan for 1700. That was 90 minutes out. After a brake job, evapo rust for a season, and changing the water distribution tube out, I use it for work commute a couple times a week. It really is an HPOF car is why I bought it.  If ever an HCCA event made it close this thing would clean up. Extra points for the 1963 seat covers (I have the receipt for) 34K miles of a life on a gravel road.

cranbrook.jpg

• Like 1

I think I see why that facebook car is hanging around still.  If you take a good look,  lots of messed up missing things,  one you get past the pretty paint.  Interior looks wrong, Door check arm is missing off atleast the driver's side, steering wheel is pretty well shot, Grille shell not chromed (trying to save money?). I bet it will be for sale until it hits the lower teens.   Those were just the quick obvious thing s I saw in the first few photos without looking deep.  If those stand out,  then there is alot more they usually didn't get right.  The green car was a better car if you put the two side by side. 

I know someone must remember the dark colored Chrysler coupe with the split windshield that was all original and I think sold for under $30k within the last couple years. It was on Ebay and we discussed it here but darned if I can find it anywhere on the forum archives. I almost think it was a CD-8 and black just like the Hershey car but the condition was much better. That was a car that I wish I had considered a little more seriously.  

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I think I see why that facebook car is hanging around still.  If you take a good look,  lots of messed up missing things,  one you get past the pretty paint.  Interior looks wrong, Door check arm is missing off atleast the driver's side, steering wheel is pretty well shot, Grille shell not chromed (trying to save money?). I bet it will be for sale until it hits the lower teens.   Those were just the quick obvious thing s I saw in the first few photos without looking deep.  If those stand out,  then there is alot more they usually didn't get right.  The green car was a better car if you put the two side by side. 

Definitely a lot of things wrong with the red car. But it is pretty!  I would have to see each in person to say which I think is better. And how much better ($). I think they are both overvalued, but the market has spoken on the green one so what do I know? 😳

Thanks for posting that CD-8 coupe pic. I just love the styling!

I know they are both Chryslers, but I just don’t think of the eight cylinder cars in the 6 cylinder cars at the same time. They were aimed at two different markets. Although the CD8 is not a CG or CL It is still a straight eight with similar styling. The six cylinder cars just look too small to me.

• Like 2

Boy this is trickier than I would have imagined. It looks like 3 different avail powerplants were offered on that 124'' chassis for the CD8 coupe. -240.3 cu.in 80hp in the "royal coupe". -260.8cu.in 88hp in the coupe and business coupe. -282.1 cu.in 100hp in the "deluxe 8 series" business and rumble seat coupe. Am I reading this right? Chrysler offered 4 different 8cyl and 4 different 6 cyl selections in 1931?

The three engines offered were not body specific on the CD line. They increased the horsepower a couple times during the year, and were on all body styles. There were a lot of changes between the first two series and the third, deluxe, series. Although they look similar, except for the split windshields and dropping the visor, many of the third series parts do not interchange with the first two series. Even the wheel size is different. Seems odd that so many changes were made during a depression year to one model of car.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 24Chry48 said:

The three engines offered were not body specific on the CD line.

Yes, I follow that logic -from what I was reading it appeared anyone who walked into a 1931 showroom had their choice of 3 different h.p. 8 cyl set-ups on a CD car. Thank you, what you are saying about model year updates makes more sense. 

-But if I see a split windshield on that 124" chassis then am I looking at a Deluxe 100 hp car right?

15 hours ago, md murray said:

Yes, I follow that logic -from what I was reading it appeared anyone who walked into a 1931 showroom had their choice of 3 different h.p. 8 cyl set-ups on a CD car. Thank you, what you are saying about model year updates makes more sense. 

-But if I see a split windshield on that 124" chassis then am I looking at a Deluxe 100 hp car right?

Yes, the split windshield cars were third series, Deluxe.

• Like 1

This page I found helpful on the 1931 Chryslers. Like any mid year design changes they may show up on any of the versions. It is the depression use all the parts made till they run out. Proof of that is the 1932 CD De Luxe were being made.

http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/CHRYSLER_1931.html

My favorite feature on this era of Chrysler's are the vee'd front grill.  Just makes the Chrysler's stand out in the sea of flat front grills...

• Like 2