Let's share our Hershey automobilia discoveries.

It sure was great to be back in Hershey again!   I managed to do a bit of treasure hunting prior to Hershey week, and of course the swap meet itself always produces some nice items for my collection(s).   Here are a few of my prizes form this year- first up is a bisque china nodder.  It's early 1900s, probably German or Austrian and is one of a pair of them, consisting of a man and woman dressed for their motorcar journey. Tap the head and they nod back and forth, sort of a turn of the century bobble head.  I found the lady motorist in an Ohio antique mall earlier this year, and now have her mate.  It's the second pair of such nodders I've got.  Next up is a wonderful ladies broach shaped like an early car lamp.  It has a colored glass "jewel" for the lens. Nice but unmarked.  If anyone knows anything about it, all guesses will be welcome.   This wonderful occupational shaving mug was a gift from a good friend this year and it is a wonderful addition to my automobilia display.  The next item is a small pocket mirror advertising Herr and Company automobile supplies and hardware.  They were located in Lancaster PA.  From the looks of the car I'd say it's early teens.  I need to do a little internet searching to try and find more info on this company.  The last two gems are early prints.  The first one is in its original dark oak frame.  Note the frame consists of a top and bottom section that shows two views of an early automobile, first being driven in the city, then on an open country road. Note it's a lady doing the driving!  I believe it's French but need to dig a bit and research the artist.  The last item is from Spain and is an advertising poster for cognac.  It's a wonderful image of an appropriately attired early motorist and is lady passenger pausing along the road for some refreshment.  Of course these are just some highlights.  It was a good year too for the spark plug collection as well as some additional advertising trinkets, brass lamps,  and even a few Model T parts I needed. 

Counting the days until next time.

Please share your treasures too-

Terry

Nodder.jpg.09a01dcb59824f0d55a44fc831a68491.jpg1397300490_brasslamppin.jpg.7efe7d7b5b77125e476accd73525a5a4.jpg

Occupational shaving Mug.jpg

Pocket Mirror auto parts store.jpg

Print, unusual framing.jpg

Print 2.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Here are a couple of other items from Hershey that I just unwrapped.  The hand-retouched photo is tremendous if you love early pedal cars.  It's a curved photo that fits under a curved glass.  I removed the glass to get a clearer photo.  The other little teapot is part of a children's set.  I've had a cup and saucer for a long time but never seen theteapot before.  There must be other pieces out there - creamer, sugar bowl, and perhaps a few small plates, but it seems very difficult to find.  Third photo is a Reo advertising tray.  Could probably use a little cleaning but I'm going to leave it as is.

Terry

Pedal car picture.jpg

Teapot.jpg

REO tray.jpg

• Like 2

At some point Herr & Company dropped its automobile parts offerings and concentrated strictly on hardware and industrial supplies.  When I worked at RCA in Lancaster many of our supplies were sourced from Herr & Company.  That pinback you have from them is a great early piece of their history.

I couldn't attend this year. We had an issue finding a sitter for our 3 children for 4 days, but this lot was delivered on the Tuesday I was to be headed there.  It's all literature and the totes are filled to the top.

It was beautiful and sunny in the doorway as I started sorting it over the next few days,  so it was almost like being at Hershey, but I didn't have to figure a way to get it back to the truck.  

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

Did you find the Lasky emblem at Hershey? 

Terry

I went to Hershey for the first time this year looking to add some antique hubcaps to my collection and I was not disappointed! Here are a few rare ones I got that I have pictures of. I found many other nice ones I just haven’t taken pictures of them yet. Shown is a Buffalo Disc wheel cap, Kissel Kar “Silver Special” Houk wire wheel cap, Crane-Simplex rear wheel cap, Auburn 12 large wood wheel cap, Westcott Hayes wire wheel cap, and a Veeder hub odometer specifically for Houk/Hayes #5 wheels. The Kissel Kar is by far the rarest of my finds. The Silver Special model made with designs by Conover T. Silver was only produced from January 1918 to April 1918. 

8AF81970-09F8-49B4-AF6D-AB34794C7A17.jpeg

FD5D060B-C464-426D-A4A2-945AA2DCAA33.jpeg

612D6345-DB5B-43B1-BDD9-EEAE7D512DD7.jpeg

CA58989B-6992-4E78-A594-80EFF7A0603D.jpeg

9EFE9260-0746-4DD2-886F-4BCFD91962E8.jpeg

D6219D08-EC41-4169-8A14-4F61A19338E6.jpeg

1EDFC5AF-139D-43D4-940A-141A5BD1234A.jpeg

• Like 3

Those caps are great!   I saw lots of them this year and was tempted to add to my very small collection, but resisted the temptation.  Don't now how.

Here are few of the spark plugs I picked up this year, along with a photo of some of the members of the Spark Plug Collectors of America.  Those absent were out finding all the good plugs!  

In the photos, the brass and mica plug on the right in photo 1 is French and is marked "Glorious" in fancy script.  In photo 2, left to right, the plug names are: Pirate, Ford (script), Mcintosh Heather (sounds Scottish to me), Marswells Ford Special, Detriot, and Surety.  I found a mess of others but these were among the best of the haul. 

Terry

3 Plugs Pognon, Glorious, Surety.jpg

Plug selection from Hershey.jpg

SPCOA Group.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, Hubcap-collector said:

I went to Hershey for the first time this year looking to add some antique hubcaps to my collection and I was not disappointed! Here are a few rare ones I got that I have pictures of. I found many other nice ones I just haven’t taken pictures of them yet. Shown is a Buffalo Disc wheel cap, Kissel Kar “Silver Special” Houk wire wheel cap, Crane-Simplex rear wheel cap, Auburn 12 large wood wheel cap, Westcott Hayes wire wheel cap, and a Veeder hub odometer specifically for Houk/Hayes #5 wheels. The Kissel Kar is by far the rarest of my finds. The Silver Special model made with designs by Conover T. Silver was only produced from January 1918 to April 1918. 

8AF81970-09F8-49B4-AF6D-AB34794C7A17.jpeg

FD5D060B-C464-426D-A4A2-945AA2DCAA33.jpeg

612D6345-DB5B-43B1-BDD9-EEAE7D512DD7.jpeg

CA58989B-6992-4E78-A594-80EFF7A0603D.jpeg

9EFE9260-0746-4DD2-886F-4BCFD91962E8.jpeg

D6219D08-EC41-4169-8A14-4F61A19338E6.jpeg

1EDFC5AF-139D-43D4-940A-141A5BD1234A.jpeg

The Kissel silver special cap is indeed rare. There are no Kissel silver special cars which survive ! I have a few tokens and radiator badges for these cars but there are , unfortunately, no Kissel Specials!