Happy Columbus Day!

1937hd45

Two comments about Columbus day.

Several years ago I was in Spain and visited a huge church on this very day.

A big display of flowers adorning what was purported to be Chris' bones.

My brother who is much more educated that I told me that there are several places in the world that claim to have them.

On another note. Here in Oregon since CC day is not really a national holiday they have renamed it "Indigenous People Day".

I think this may be appropriate considering that the remaining natives hate the guy.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

History has a funny way of trumpeting the loudest voice or the winner of a war.

Columbus certainly landed somewhere in the Bahama's in 1492.  The claims he was the first to find the "new world" have long since been debunked as the Vikings left their mark and genetic seed 500 years before.  SOURCE

So what if the Vikings were here 500 years before?  Nothing came of their voyages.    It was only after Columbus that  progress (that's right, progress) was made in colonizing the new world.

The native American's certainly have good reason to hold early explorers from Europe in disdain.  Some project Native American deaths at 50,000,000 people. SOURCE Because the native Americans didn't have a written language or any centralized leadership, history has conveniently overlooked the negative side of the colonization of the America's. 

Bemoaning the displacement of the native population is like bemoaning the extinction of the Neanderthals.  Sorry, but from the beginning of time the stronger, fittest population always encroaches on and displaces the weaker.  It is Darwinism in action- natural selection.  Just because it happened within the last few hundred years doesn't make it any less natural an occurrence.

I'm glad Columbus Day is not as revered as when it was taught to me in school 60 years ago. I'm also glad it's being replaced in some places with Indigenous People Day.  Even the President formally recognized today as Indigenous People Day.  SOURCE  (not political, just a fact) 

You are entitled to your opinion and have voiced it well.  There are many others of us who detest the trend in this country to upend  and erase history and replace it with something that is more politically correct for the moment.  The problem with that is that moments move on and tomorrow's PC warriors will likely not like what today's PC warriors have decided is acceptable.  So history becomes an ever changing narrative that morphs to suit the climate of the times.   You got to post your political viewpoint Peter, so I hope that in your capacity as an administrator that you allow my political post to remain.

This is a perfect example that history has multiple facets and different perspectives and should not always be taken at face value. For example: Henry Ford is widely considered the inventor of the first automobile.  A fact easily proven wrong.

FYI:  I'm part Miꞌkmaq Indian (eastern coast of Canada) so I see this history from both sided.

Edited by Pete O (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I removed the off topic posts (starting with my own) :)

Interesting.   You let your political post stay out there for quite some time for many people to see until I  challenged what you had written.  And then when I did, you take my post down (as well as yours) and fewer people were allowed to see it.   So you as a moderator gets to break the rules to get your opinion aired, but a differing opinion gets silenced immediately.  "Rules for thee but not for me".  This is the kind of hypocrisy that one side of the political spectrum thinks it can get away with.  

1 hour ago, Pete O said:

Interesting.   You let your political post stay out there for quite some time for many people to see until I  challenged what you had written.  And then when I did, you take my post down (as well as yours) and fewer people were allowed to see it.   So you as a moderator gets to break the rules to get your opinion aired, but a differing opinion gets silenced immediately.  "Rules for thee but not for me".  This is the kind of hypocrisy that one side of the political spectrum thinks it can get away with.  

I've unhidden your post in response to mine (included quotes from my post).  Problem solved.

• Like 1

Same building. Lincoln Highway Garage

Lincoln Highway Garage | Columbus Area Visitors Bureau

The Lincoln Highway Garage Association was formed by 12 Columbus businessmen at a meeting for the purpose of erecting a modern garage building.  The stockholders decided to incorporate for $50,000 and to put up a one-story, fire-proof building of brick and steel construction.  In 1915, as a result of the incorporation of the Lincoln Highway Garage Association, this service station garage was built.  It was located on the intersection of the original plat of the Lincoln Highway as it entered downtown Columbus. Concrete plaques with the word “Garage” are affixed to the building above the garage doors on the south and east elevations. By 1930, this garage was sold to Ed M. Nielsen and operated under that surname for 74 years.

• 23rd Avenue & 13th Street, Columbus, Nebraska
Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a car called the Columbus was named for the City of Columbus which was named in honor of Christopher Columbus would there be some hierarchy of connections there that might water things down? Like me being born in New York but not referred to as a native American? And can I be indigenous without being aboriginal?

This is gonna get a Simon & Garfunkel song stuck in my head. I know it!

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

If a car called the Columbus was named for the City of Columbus which was named in honor of Christopher Columbus would there be some hierarchy of connections there that might water things down? Like me being born in New York but not referred to as a native American? And can I be indigenous without being aboriginal?

This is gonna get a Simon & Garfunkel song stuck in my head. I know it!

Kinda goes along with all the history changing that's been popular lately.

From my collection of automobilia - note the little Firestone Colmbus stickpin on the right.

Terry

Stickpins group 7.jpg

• Like 3

It always surprised me that we give Columbus such acclaim  when we know that the Norwegian Vikings really discovered America. In fact the U.S. Mint issued a commemorative coin in 2000 honoring Leif Erickson calling him the "Founder of the New World".

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

It always surprised me that we give Columbus such acclaim  when we know that the Norwegian Vikings really discovered America. In fact the U.S. Mint issued a commemorative coin in 2000 honoring Leif Erickson calling him the "Founder of the New World".

Many historians will tell you that he was lost when he landed. He thought he was in India.

Hence the term "Indians" when relating to our indigenous people..

• Like 1