72 Centurion Convertible

NC-car-guy

I just left the shop. I cut the project off I'll be picking up the car Saturday morning broken air conditioner and bent top bar still in place.  We've replaced the condenser but the compressor keeps locking up. The old condenser that they showed me is clearly full of white powdery like oxidation material. I've got a new dryer and a new expansion valve coming via UPS by the end of the week but I still don't know if that white oxidation material is hanging out in the evaporator waiting to ruin another compressor. I have a guy locally interested in the car, unfortunately every time I see it I think it is definitely the nicest car I've ever purchased "looks-wise". We'll just have to see what his offer is and how much of a loss I would take.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

My Nov 73 Olds parts book indicates 71-73 B&C car use the same evaporator core and case. 74 indicates different p/n's for B-C-E car. Based on  earlier GM/Fisher practice, I would imagine Buick and other non-Cadillac are the same. Core p/n 3027185, case assembly w/core 3027183. Someone with a Buick parts manual please compare?

16444462751563303688870615408324.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

My Nov 73 Olds parts book indicates 71-73 B&C car use the same evaporator core and case. 74 indicates different p/n's for B-C-E car. Based on  earlier GM/Fisher practice, I would imagine Buick and other non-Cadillac are the same. Core p/n 3027185, case assembly w/core 3027183. Someone with a Buick parts manual please compare?

Wow.  Thanks.   

24 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

So my assembly manual shows the evap case/core assembly as PN 3027182.... it did not show a specific part number for the evaporator itself I do not have the parts book. 

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

So I spoke with this vendor and they confirmed that it will fit my car so I ordered it I will report back

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NC-car-guy said:

Ordered them from classic air.  A good long convo with @old-tank and now im going to tackle the job myself, when I can make the time.

Assembly the parts is straight forward.  Evaporator takes a bit of time. Oil(refrigerant oil) the new o-rings between connections.  Assure the new compressor is not full of shipping oil. Read the paperwork that comes with the compressor. Under oil you burn it up. Over oil it will not cool.  Once you have all pieces in place the very last piece you install is the receiver dryer. The receiver dryer pulls moisture from the air like crazy. Leave it sealed and make it the last part installed thus closing the system.  Evac. Recharge. Pray. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 2/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, NC-car-guy said:

We'll just have to see what his offer is and how much of a loss I would take.

It is not a bad idea for anyone to sit down a figure out their financial "comfort level" on a hobby car purchase. My first consciousness of this was in the early Ebay days when a friend was bidding on a '39 Buick that I would end up servicing. I had looked the auction over and we were on the phone while he was bidding. In late 1990's money he was nudging $6,000. The car looked good but I told him if we made a mistake and had to bail out we could probably squeeze $4500 out of it. He said losing $1500 wasn't much more than taking his wife to Vegas. He bid, won the car, and it turned out to be a good one.

That experience gave me the inspiration to figure out my tolerance. I came up with a figure of $3,500 per deal at the level of cars I owned that would be my maximum. I still used that basis when buying a car today as my risk. Just going in with eyes open has increased my confidence.

That was 20+ years ago and although I have managed the risk with each car it has never come into play, luckily. There have been a few that I bailed out of but it seems like I have come out ahead a little on each of those. And I would surely buy another Jaguar or BMW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

I just noticed, does it have a non remote outside mirror?

Yup.   Strangely optioned.

A/c. Power seat.  Maxtrac Traction control. 8-track and remote trunk pop.

No clock, manual windows and locks, plain mirror -driver's side only, no cornering lamps, no fender top indicators...

39 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

No clock, manual windows and locks, plain mirror -driver's side only, no cornering lamps, no fender top indicators...

In a convertible time makes no difference.  It time to relax. Time stops.  It's a convertible. Once the windows are down that's where they stay for good. Money well saved by the original purchaser on power options. Surprised there is a mirror at all.  When driving a Buick convertible of this era who cares who is behind them.  Driving country roads it only curves and bends.  No need for corning lights. No plans  making a turn   Turn indicators on the fenders.  See note on corning lights. 😃

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have to remember that, back then, power windows and locks COULD cause problems.  Clocks usually didn't work past the end of the warranty period and could be inaccurate.  Cornering lights were a luxury novelty item FEW people knew to use when they had them.  The few other things were not really needed, but nice to have.  ANY door lock, on a convertible, can be easily undone with a small knife to the roof, as was pointed out (with a laugh) when I was considering a simple anti-theft system for my '68 5467.  Of course, a SlimJim works better without leaving a hole in the top (for all to see).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NTX5467 said:

Have to remember that, back then, power windows and locks COULD cause problems.  Clocks usually didn't work past the end of the warranty period and could be inaccurate. 

This^^, and NTX5497 is being nice about it. I would say that power windows and locks could be expected to be partially broken on any used car. When a car came in for repair, and a Borg dashboard clock was found to be working correctly, people from the shop gathered around and stared.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I don't know how anyone could stay angry with her -- just look at her!  :rolleyes:

20220212_160303_HDR.jpg.b287f8fcebf3d80a

We're all rooting for you.  It'll be worth it when you're cruzin' down the Carolina coast this summer with the top up and A/C blasting until evening comes and the top goes down!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I don't know how anyone could stay angry with her -- just look at her!  :rolleyes:

20220212_160303_HDR.jpg.b287f8fcebf3d80a

We're all rooting for you.  It'll be worth it when you're cruzin' down the Carolina coast this summer with the top up and A/C blasting until evening comes and the top goes down!

+2.  And, for what it's worth, with the exception of an '80 Cadillac and our current 2013 Regal,  the power windows on any of the Buicks I have owned with them, have worked just fine.

Then Mr Centurion has a right to be a little snippy!

I keep telling y'all old cars can tell when they've come into possession of an owner who might spend a little time and money on them!😼 

Granted it takes some of them awhile to realise when enough's enough...

Besides, this purty Burick is not a car you're depending on to take you to work or other such daily tasks.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Where does one find tameable shes? In 65 years I've never found one!

Look for the Nordic heritage. They are raised with huge guilt complexes, but not many around.

A good She will always give the impression of being tamed. When they are small they are taught to "Speak softly and carry a rolled up newspaper".

I bought three bouquets today to get the right color combinations. Walt would have been as impressed as the recipient! And I got some ruby items because this is our 40th wedding anniversary. The date was chosen so I would remember. Then a second ceremony the next day so I would remember I got married Adhering to the rules and learning to cope has provided me with a lot of extra money for cars, probably what I wanted most after observing friends.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2022 at 11:10 AM, NC-car-guy said:

A/c. Power seat.  Maxtrac Traction control. 8-track and remote trunk pop.

Have owned and looked at enough big Buicks of this era that I agree it is oddly optioned. Especially the addition of Maxtrac with  lot of more popular ones missed. Cornering lights and lamp monitors were more popular on Electras but not uncommon on Centurions, having the power seat without the power windows especially in a convertible was odd.  Definitely and ordered car 

• Like 2

Kind of hard to un-masculinize "CENTURION", it would seem.  Of late, I usually just name my cars as its maker did, addressing them by their "given" (model) name.  Or the "given" color name (as in "Lady Lido") if it had been painted, from the factory, Lido Lavender.  

To each their own,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

All parts are delivered to replace the A/C.  Popped a rear wheel cylinder while driving yesterday.  Replaced both rear wheel cylinders...clearly new, failed from sitting.  Noticed while under there that all the body mounts are still wrapped in plastic (why?) and the nut had fallen off one of my sway bar links.  Clearly this car was a trailer/garage queen.   I've got to stop buying un-driven cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Are you feeling better about the car since you've been able to repair some of this minor but aggravating stuff?

Still mixed honestly.   Not sure how much more will pop up just from sitting.  Shes idling rough and I want to ditch the Qjet but the car is restored 100% original so my guilt kicks in.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

Man...properly set up qjet is impossible to beat for drive-ability.  If you want to have it rebuilt, I'll send you the info of a guy I use.  He doesn't advertise, but he has fixed several other "rebuilt" carbs for me.

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...