For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe Nassau Hardtop - "Regretably for sale" - Portland, OR - Not Mine

For sale on Craigslist: 1955 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe Nassau 2-door Hardtop in Portland, OR  -  $13,999  -  Call: 503-FIVE ONE FIVE-5470

Link: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1955-chrysler-2dr-hdt/7380799196.html

Seller's Description:

1955 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe Nassau 2-door Hardtop

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 93,000
  • paint color: red
  • title status: clean

ORIGINAL 1955 CHRYSLER 2DR HARDTOP
VERY SMOOTH QUIET V8 (NON-HEMI)
ENJOYABLE NOSTALGIC RIDE

REGRETABLY FOR SALE BY VERY SENIOR OWNER
CALL 503-FIVE ONE FIVE-5470

image.png.c98f26f6ad1895d77d7b8474fe091b77.png

image.png.9d115483b699df61cf3714c2e110a118.png

image.png.de98ec021b8284516d8fefb917efd64c.png

image.png.7bf6e4e27bc4159c6026349b172e8f9a.png

image.png.0474c6a24bc45ebd9a9f6009a1bc64a6.png

• Like 8

Thanks.  That is no match for the 331 Hemi I'm sure, and probably much harder to get parts for.  Am I correct?  I'm a lifelong Buick guy who is thinking of switch over to a 55-56 or 65-68 Chrysler.  Don't know much about them, except a friend has driven a 56 DeSoto all over the USA to AACA and CHVA tours.  I like the 55 the best, but it is 6-volt and I need AC.  Had a 66 Newport that I drove all over the USA to AACA tours 20 years ago.  The 60s Buicks have never worked out to replace it, and 30s and 40s are too hot in Florida.

• Like 2

I really like that car, but I have to have air condition here in this hellhole Sebring, Florida.  Just sold my '41 Buick Roadmaster because it is so hot here this year, and most years.  I don't need the trouble, at 83, of trying to rewire to 12-volts and find pulleys to fit a car for Vintage Air.

There are two distinct kinds of polyspherical engines made by Chrysler Corporation. They get confused in threads like this because Chrysler didn't really go out of their way to specify the difference. Both are stellar engines. The second type didn't exist yet in 1955, so this is the first.

This engine uses the same block casting as the Chrysler Hemi. I imagine the pistons were contoured different, as I don't recall the heads being a direct swap.

It was a downmarket engine in Chrysler at the time. Today wouldn't really be a downgrade from the Hemi except for bragging rights, unless the Hemi was one of the go-fast versions.

Both types of polyspherical engine last long and run cool in hot weather. I can't really say enough good about them. I'm not casting any shade on the Hemi here, as it is just as good, but in the era you could  sure do a lot worse. Ask @Matt Harwood about his wife Melanie's car.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never been into old Chryslers but this body style is one of my favorites.  I just did a PPI inspection on a '55 Desoto and really like the car.  Full disclosure, the previous owner swapped the Desoto engine for Chrysler 383 4bbl.  Too much motor for drum brakes!

7 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I really like that car, but I have to have air condition here in this hellhole Sebring, Florida.  Just sold my '41 Buick Roadmaster because it is so hot here this year, and most years.  I don't need the trouble, at 83, of trying to rewire to 12-volts and find pulleys to fit a car for Vintage Air.

I think Chrysler offered AC from 1953 on, although of course it was a rare option.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

but I have to have air condition

At that price you can afford to have Vintage Air installed which is superior to factory AC.  I really like this body style.  One of the cars I lost was a 55 Imperial two door hard top.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Thanks.  That is no match for the 331 Hemi I'm sure, and probably much harder to get parts for.  Am I correct?  I'm a lifelong Buick guy who is thinking of switch over to a 55-56 or 65-68 Chrysler.  Don't know much about them, except a friend has driven a 56 DeSoto all over the USA to AACA and CHVA tours.  I like the 55 the best, but it is 6-volt and I need AC.  Had a 66 Newport that I drove all over the USA to AACA tours 20 years ago.  The 60s Buicks have never worked out to replace it, and 30s and 40s are too hot in Florida.

The 55 poly isn't that hard to find parts for. I'm a big fan of the 55 and on Mopars. But for a nice driver at a very livable price search 65-68 300 or New Yorker, Newport. Great cars at reasonable prices. w

I had a  66 Chrysler Newport convertible and it was the best tour car I ever had.  I sold it when I thought I'd worn it out, but regrettably now I think it was a bad timing chain.  I search 1965-1968 Chryslers almost every day, but I can't find one, and I don't want another convertible and really only want a 383.  I do not want a 440.  Too much gas I think, like a big Buick with a 455.

• Like 1

I have had no luck finding anybody to install Vintage Air in anything but Fords and Chevies.  I had a chance to buy a 67 Buick Skylark with a 300cid engine, no air.  I called Vintage Air, no soap.  I called local company that installs aftermarket air in car and they said no brackets or pulleys, no can do.  I found a guy whose speciality it Buick parts in those years and he had just sold the only factory pulley's for a 300 Buick engine with air, and so far has found no more.  No, I'm not interested in a 350 Chevy engine.  I'm down to just two old cars now, and at 83 in October, I think I should probably leave it that way.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)