correct Trailer hitch for a 1933 Rockne?

Your gonna have to make one. And figure out if it’s permanent, removable, and if you can keep the bumper in place. Drilling extra holes is generally not a good idea. A good fabricator could figure it out easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1933 trailer towing was in its infancy. I don't know if there were many ready made hitches around, certainly not for specific makes. You would have something made by the local blacksmith or welding shop.

There was a hitch that was popular from the thirties thru the sixties that bolted onto the rear axle, it was like a long wishbone shape and fastened to the rear bumper or frame crossmember with chains. I have one but don't know where you could find another.

• Thanks 1

A  "V"  shaped trailer hitch bracket, to mount on center of rear bumper.

I have one  on one of my cars.

There also were bumper mounted " straight bars with ball" that attached to the straight parts of rear bumper.

You decide if suitable for your needs.

• Thanks 1

I have had one or two of those bumper-mounted trailer hitch systems over the years, which were included in piles of parts that I bought at the time. It's obvious that they would cause significant damage to a bumper, and I have seen bumpers bent or twisted from the use of that style hitch. Ed is giving you good advice. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

Your gonna have to make one. And figure out if it’s permanent, removable, and if you can keep the bumper in place. Drilling extra holes is generally not a good idea. A good fabricator could figure it out easily.

Exactly …. ^^^^^

Find a “ meat & potatoes “ trailer shop

( preferably an owner/operator ).

Jim

• Thanks 1

I tow my Mullins trailer with a custom a 3 bolt hitch.  There are two steel  braces on the frame where the hitch is attached.  I have no problems with the hitch being too light.  The trailer wheels are actually a set of front hubs & wheels including the brake drum.  My trailer is 450 pounds with a 70 horse engine, it requires some down shifting at corners.  

15E6BA6C-9BFE-4C70-8185-B099E632EAAE.jpeg

FF2F9D07-6D73-4F6D-8B00-4A36EBB509F0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe,

I agree, you will probably have to make one, but you did find a grille.   With a 33 Rockne, I guess you are a lucky guy.

Thanks for the picture of your car.   If it was any other make, I thinlk we would call it a Cabriolet.  It appears to have roll up windows.

Did Rockne call it a Roadster when new?

Paul

I don't know about all states, and can't even be certain in California today. However simple 'pin' hitches were still legal here twenty years ago. I have many thousands of miles towing a 125 cfm industrial compressor around with one. I don't offhand know the weight, but it had to have been about 1500 pounds! Simple pin hitches were what was mostly used in the 1920s and 1930s. My Paige had a simple bracket clamped onto the rear bumper when my dad bought it fifty plus years ago. 

They are simple to make, a sort of 'fork and blade' setup. BE ABSOLUTRLY CERTAIN your pin bolt is strong enough, AND somehow safety locked so that it cannot vibrate up and/or out!

I have seen the 'fork' and 'blade' of simple pin hitches done both ways, fork or blade on either the tongue or hitch. So I don't think there was any standard way.

A small light trailer doesn't require much. However, best to have a professional build it for legal and liability reasons.

Safety chains were not required back when our cars were new. However, they are required today, and for VERY good reasons! That is one thing I would add the modern touch.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Joe,

I agree, you will probably have to make one, but you did find a grille.   With a 33 Rockne, I guess you are a lucky guy.

Thanks for the picture of your car.   If it was any other make, I thinlk we would call it a Cabriolet.  It appears to have roll up windows.

Did Rockne call it a Roadster when new?

Paul

Paul, yes, it have roll up windows.

And yes. Rockne advertised this Model as „Roadster“. I was wondering about this many times, the only explanation for that i found by myself are the „chopped“ appearance of the in Roof.

Joe

68976918-E33D-46D5-A2E4-4C26C54999BE.png