Amelia Island Concours Electric Car Display This Weekend

The car in an illustration was pictured in the advertisements that Murphy had in the Salon souvenir programs for the Los Angeles salon in that year, so they may have had an influence with the local Hudson dealer there if I know Murphy did with Lincoln . I will try and locate and scan and post for all to see as I have just about every salon program for the 4 locations ( NY,Chicago, LA, SF) for all the years that they were in existence starting in 1917.  This is a whole story in itself  !! - there was a LA dealership network of all the car dealers that supported and sponsored the custom body salons and automobile shows. Ralph Hamlin the southern Ca.  Franklin dealer was heavily involved in that as well too.

• Like 1

Walt: 

Walter Murphy was also southern California distributor for Hudson and Essex.  Naturally, promoting Murphy custom bodies on the top-line models added prestige to those fine cars.   Its also how the connection came about for the Murphy-designed Biddle & Smart production series, even though B & S decide to add three inches to the greenhouse height, still highly attractive cars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Amazing cars!! I’ve never been to a concours event and I need to change that. 

You should go....and see what you're missing, I took this photo for you.

IMG_2297.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

IMG_2373.jpeg

I know that car. I believe it was part of Eldon Hostettler's collection.  He was wrapping up the restoration when he died I think. LaVine restoration did the car? I saw it maybe 20 years ago before it was restored. I wonder if it has ever been shown outside the Midwest before? Great car in every way.

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

IMG_2373.jpeg

Thank you for posting this photo. I don't know what you call it but the more the rear wheel on a pre-war car is tucked into the fender well the more I seem to like it. The further the better...like a plunging neckline.  😉

• Like 1

I got around to uploading another video to youtube.   Here you can see what an awards presentation looks like.  The cars have to sit there idling in the sun for quite a while and it can be nerve wracking given how hot it was.    Manny comes in at the end and sticks his head in the frame which I have no idea how to edit out.

You get a good look at the Hudson.  The best of show Hisso is off to the right at the beginning.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I finally made time this a.m. to dig out the 1927 Los Angeles Automobile Salon souvenir program and can add further information to the Hudson conv. sedan by Murphy coach builders.

The Salon was held Oct. 19-22, 1927 . Here is a photo in that program of Richard F. Carlson who was the General Manager of the Walter M. Murphy Motor Company. He was also on the Exhibition Committee for the Salon along with Ralph Hamlin ( Franklin) and Stephen Nerney ( Lincoln) . Although the Murphy Company also had the franchise for the L.A. area to sell Hudson-Essex cars , they also had a Lincoln model L that they had bodied that was advertised at that Salon.

The artwork for the Hudson in the catalog /program was done by Bronson Gobe, he also did a rendering of the Essex that Murphy bodied with a similar body.  The artwork you see was painted in opaque water color ( aka as 'tempra paint' - this is the stuff kids use to paint pictures with in elementary school, water base paint) .

Who was connected to the organization, display, and locations  of the Salons in Ca. would be a very interesting story as they had a very short run, unlike the NY and Chicago salons that went on for over a decade. The information in the programs tell the story fairly clearly as they list all the dealerships and their locations !, invaluable in putting together an accurate history. Great article for a magazine , but would all total be more then 4 pages with images and that unfortunately sadly rules out AACA due to lack of space.

HUDsonMURphy1927.jpg

HUDSONmurphydealer1927face.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1